shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to clean platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone tell me the best way to clean platinum? I heard that there is some kind of special cloth. They ones I found said they clean with special chemicals, wasn''t sure I liked that idea, especially since the platinum piece I am looking to clean has diamonds in it. Anyone have one they use and like?

Thanks!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Well, I don't know if this is the best way but each night I soak mine in warm water with a few drops of Dawn for a few minutes and then gently "scrub" it with a baby toothbrush. Once a week, I put it in a mixture of warm water and ammonia and that really brings out the sparkle. Works great for me and my ring is full of melee. And I dry it with a lint free cloth.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 12:53:33 PM
Author: jazmine
Well, I don''t know if this is the best way but each night I soak mine in warm water with a few drops of Dawn for a few minutes and then gently ''scrub'' it with a baby toothbrush. Once a week, I put it in a mixture of warm water and ammonia and that really brings out the sparkle. Works great for me and my ring is full of melee. And I dry it with a lint free cloth.
That''s cool! I would think the dawn would leave like a soap film on it no? How much ammonia do you use with the water? Thanks!!!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
It leaves absolutely no soap film at all. In fact it is literally sqeakly clean afterwards. Just hold it under warm running water to fully rinse (with the drain closed!). I know lots of others around here use Dawn or similar as well.

I use about 25% ammonia and 75% warm water.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 1:01:30 PM
Author: jazmine
It leaves absolutely no soap film at all. In fact it is literally sqeakly clean afterwards. Just hold it under warm running water to fully rinse (with the drain closed!). I know lots of others around here use Dawn or similar as well.

I use about 25% ammonia and 75% warm water.
Thank you!!! I will have to try it out! Does it work for gold too?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
That I don''t know about, as I don''t own any gold. I''m sure someone else will chime in.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from using a soft toothbrush and jewelry cleaner each evening and my JewelJet on Friday night''s, I do have two polishing clothes for in-between. One is just a jewelers cloth (sort of chamois like, but supposedly better than chamois), most jewelry stores use them to wipe finger prints off a bauble before they show them to a customer. And the other cloth is one that is treated and contains some chemical that when used does cover minor surface scratches. This cloth, which you can probably find at Bed Bath and Beyond or I think I saw it at Linen''s and Things, has two sides. One side has the chemical and the other side is for the final polish. I don''t hesitate to use it on my platinum ring. I''m not sure I would use this on a gold ring as I''m sure the chemical is a form of abrasion, but with platinum, it''s not likely you''d be rubbing any metal away. With gold, you would likely be rubbing gold away.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your help jazmine and rod.

Rod-- do you like your jeweljet? where did you get it?

Thanks

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2006 11:14:02 AM
Author: Sparkles22
Thank you for your help jazmine and rod.

Rod-- do you like your jeweljet? where did you get it?

Thanks
Sparkes22,

I think the JewelJet is wonderful. I bought mine from a local jeweler for $99, but you can order it on-line from a number of vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results