carat
color
clarity

"Best" travel wallet?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The last time I used a travel or security type wallet was I was in SE Asia. It had a cord I wore around my neck and I tucked the wallet part in my waist/belt under my clothes. It held my passport, etc.

I have been to Europe many times since and took it only once...mainly just used my purse. But I don't know if l want to lug my purse around this time (I recall before always worrying about it) and I am concerned about theft. My Mom had her purse stolen while she ate lunch at an outside cafe in Italy.....

I do have a day pack.

Am I being too cautious about not wanting to carry a purse?

I guess my question is, what kind of travel wallet to folks use these days? Are money belts passee? What can anyone here recommend? Thanks in advance....

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon, where are you going in Europe? Most places I'm fine carrying a purse as long as I use the common sense that I would in any big city - i.e. don't leave my purse on the floor, back of my chair, etc.

For big cities, I use a small, lightweight cross body bag and just don't take it off when I'm out and about. When I sit to eat, I just lay it on my lap (while still having it cross body).

A money belt I only used while backpacking. I've never used it for regular travels when I'm in a hotel of any sort.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Hey Canuck :wavey: i personally wouldnt bother with a travel wallet anymore, and would just use a sensible purse (preferably one you wear in front though to be honest i would have to be going somewhere pretty dodgy to bother with that even!). For 6 months in africa i just had a messenger bag and it was fine. Im going to central america this summer and i probably will just take a backpack, because a purse will be a hindrance i think. And if i was off to somewhere like Italy id be taking a regular handbag and just keeping an eye on it - sometimes i think 'travel style' bags just scream 'steal me! there's an expensive camera in here and lots of cash' 8)

And now onto more exciting topics! where are you going? :bigsmile:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say, I don't even know what a travel wallet is! ::)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI TG:

Thanks for chiming in. Paris and Tuscany.

Perhaps it is the choice of purse I should rethink...or maybe I am just thinking too much. I don't have a messenger type bag--which I think for a purse choice would be useful here.

Honestly, I only ever use packs for hiking--and my DH will have to carry it anyway as my shoulder is wrecked. Are packs just an obvious a target as a purse? I am overstating the risks....

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1336147437|3187509 said:
Sharon, where are you going in Europe? Most places I'm fine carrying a purse as long as I use the common sense that I would in any big city - i.e. don't leave my purse on the floor, back of my chair, etc.

For big cities, I use a small, lightweight cross body bag and just don't take it off when I'm out and about. When I sit to eat, I just lay it on my lap (while still having it cross body).

A money belt I only used while backpacking. I've never used it for regular travels when I'm in a hotel of any sort.
This is exactly what I do.

I bought a great leather purse in Bruges last summer--it has a zippered main compartment with a big flap that goes over it and clasps in the center of the main compartment's body. That way, in order to get to anything inside, someone would have to lift the flap and then find the zipper. I plan on bringing that purse to Spain this summer.

The only time we ever use a money belt is when we have to carry our passports with us for whatever reason. Then, DH puts them in the money belt and carries it around his waist and under his shirt.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blackpaw|1336147982|3187519 said:
Hey Canuck :wavey: i personally wouldnt bother with a travel wallet anymore, and would just use a sensible purse (preferably one you wear in front though to be honest i would have to be going somewhere pretty dodgy to bother with that even!). For 6 months in africa i just had a messenger bag and it was fine. Im going to central america this summer and i probably will just take a backpack, because a purse will be a hindrance i think. And if i was off to somewhere like Italy id be taking a regular handbag and just keeping an eye on it - sometimes i think 'travel style' bags just scream 'steal me! there's an expensive camera in here and lots of cash' 8)

And now onto more exciting topics! where are you going? :bigsmile:

Yes, I suppose I am overthinking things.....thanks for the reality check..... :wavey: Maybe I can find one of those cool messenger style bags, with fringes! Yanno 60's and all that..... :bigsmile:

Paris and Italy. With the current weather in PAris--I should be more worried about an umbrella than a travel wallet.....

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1336148147|3187521 said:
HI TG:

Perhaps it is the choice of purse I should rethink...or maybe I am just thinking too much. I don't have a messenger type bag--which I think for a purse choice would be useful here.

Honestly, I only ever use packs for hiking--and my DH will have to carry it anyway as my shoulder is wrecked. Are packs just an obvious a target as a purse? I am overstating the risks....

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, my feeling about being a target is this:

No matter how much most Americans try to "fit in" by appearance, it's easy to identify them as tourists from how they ACT. Even the simple way a tourist walks down the street taking everything in. Therefore I don't worry about looking like a target in what I'm wearing or what purse I'm using. I just exercise caution.

Personally, any kind of backpack is what I don't use, as it's on my back and harder to keep an eye on. I'm just talking about Europe and bigger cities here. I do currently have a backpack where there is a pocket on the back of it for wallets, etc. That pocket is flat up against my upper back when I wear it and there's no way to get into it. But I don't use it much for travel.

When I go to Spain/Scotland later this summer, I'm just taking my Tumi Sumatra. I love it. I got it as a gift, as I wouldn't ordinarily carry a more expensive travel bag like this, but oh well, it works for me!

http://www.hsn.com/home-solutions/tumi-sumatra-crossbody-bag_p-6114301_xp.aspx

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1336148374|3187527 said:

I bought a great leather purse in Bruges last summer--it has a zippered main compartment with a big flap that goes over it and clasps in the center of the main compartment's body. That way, in order to get to anything inside, someone would have to lift the flap and then find the zipper. I plan on bringing that purse to Spain this summer.

This is the kind of secuity I am looking for...at present two purses I can choose from have only snaps at the top--and here I dump stuff on the floor all the time given that closure. The other bag I have has a zipper--but in hard sided and not small. I just might have to go out and poke around for a messenger bag--this makes perfect sense. Actually American Eagle had a cute little ditty....with fringes.... :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1336148876|3187540 said:
Haven|1336148374|3187527 said:

This is the kind of secuity I am looking for...at present two purses I can choose from have only snaps at the top--and here I dump stuff on the floor all the time given that closure. The other bag I have has a zipper--but in hard sided and not small. I just might have to go out and poke around for a messenger bag--this makes perfect sense. Actually American Eagle had a cute little ditty....with fringes.... :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Yeah, just naps are a no no. :)) Just a zipper for me is fine, and I prefer tough nylon because it's light. A flap is nice added security (even more so if you wear it inward) but I just hate bags with flaps because it's a pain (which is obviously a good thing when fending off a thief.)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1336148659|3187532 said:
canuk-gal|1336148147|3187521 said:
HI TG:

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, my feeling about being a target is this:

No matter how much most Americans try to "fit in" by appearance, it's easy to identify them as tourists from how they ACT. Even the simple way a tourist walks down the street taking everything in. Therefore I don't worry about looking like a target in what I'm wearing or what purse I'm using. I just exercise caution.
Personally, any kind of backpack is what I don't use, as it's on my back and harder to keep an eye on. I'm just talking about Europe and bigger cities here. I do currently have a backpack where there is a pocket on the back of it for wallets, etc. That pocket is flat up against my upper back when I wear it and there's no way to get into it. But I don't use it much for travel.

When I go to Spain/Scotland later this summer, I'm just taking my Tumi Sumatra. I love it. I got it as a gift, as I wouldn't ordinarily carry a more expensive travel bag like this, but oh well, it works for me!

http://www.hsn.com/home-solutions/tumi-sumatra-crossbody-bag_p-6114301_xp.aspx

I know what you are saying. Camera's just scream--but where do you put them if you don't have even a mini-day pack?

And admittedly, my first world problem is I only have designer purses.... :rolleyes:

BTW, Tumi has great products--we are taking their duffle on rollers.....

cheers--Sharon

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
Definitely look for a purse that's pickpocket-resistant. A flap is good -- it also prevents those pickpockets that use knives to slash bags.

The last time I was in Tuscany, most of the smaller cities were fine. Florence was a little less safe with the pickpocketing gangs.

This is a nice review of some travel wallets and underwear, in case you feel you need something like that: http://travelkit.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/13/11184638-pickpocket-proof-pants-and-other-gear-to-keep-your-valuables-safe

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
A I see what that is. Travel wallet, I say no. Plus anything you wear under your clothes...well, you still need something accessible outside your clothes unless you want to look strange paying for something.

Just leave one credit card in the hotel safe in case something happens to your bag. Or split cards between you and your DH. Passport stays in the safe (although technically I think you're supposed to have it on you.) Two copies of the passport: One in your room somewhere safe and the other on you in your bag.

And of course when you wear a messenger/cross body bag, the bag should sit closer to the front of your body instead of over your bum, especially in a crowd. ::)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon--I wanted to share an anecdote with you about an experience I had traveling.

I spent a summer in college studying in England. I was absolutely paranoid about getting robbed, and it didn't help that my university put us up in probably the shadiest hotel I have ever stayed in. (The room numbers were spray-painted on the doors, prostitutes used the basement pub as an office. If you locked your key in the room, the front desk person just gave you the master and told you to bring it back by the end of his shift. Yeah.) SO, I spent that summer OBSESSING over where I had hidden this, what I did with that.

Well, everything was just fine until my last weekend in England. My friend and I took a bus to Stratford to visit some RSC actors we had befriended while there, and it was just lovely. I took all of my belongings with me (in a huge backpack) because of the hotel issues. Well, the bus driver on the way back made me stow my bag under the bus, which I just plain didn't feel comfortable doing. I got off at every stop between Stratford and London to make sure nobody stole it. Then, we pull into Victoria Station and wouldn't you know it? Some guy about the third to get off holds everyone up for a very long time, and by the time I get off the bus, my bag is gone.

I was a 20-year-old standing in the middle of Victoria Station with only my purse, which had my passport, credit cards, and some cash. And a week left of class, for which I had just lost my books and all of the essays I had already written. (As well as three posters w/a time line of The Bard's plays that were signed by all of that season's RSC actors! GAH!) I was devastated, did a lot of crying in the police station, and then you know what? It was fine. I bought some emergency toiletries, a couple outfits, and I had just as much fun that last week. And the flight home was super easy--no bags to haul to the airport. :cheeky:

I guess what I'm saying is that we always think that it will be the end of the world if we lose something, but it's not. I lost an entire summer's worth of work and clothing and memorabilia, and it hurt for about a day, but I totally survived.

AND, since then, I've calmed down and I don't worry too much when we travel. I've never had anything stolen since.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1336149769|3187555 said:
Sharon--I wanted to share an anecdote with you about an experience I had traveling.

I spent a summer in college studying in England. I was absolutely paranoid about getting robbed, and it didn't help that my university put us up in probably the shadiest hotel I have ever stayed in. (The room numbers were spray-painted on the doors, prostitutes used the basement pub as an office. If you locked your key in the room, the front desk person just gave you the master and told you to bring it back by the end of his shift. Yeah.) SO, I spent that summer OBSESSING over where I had hidden this, what I did with that.

Well, everything was just fine until my last weekend in England. My friend and I took a bus to Stratford to visit some RSC actors we had befriended while there, and it was just lovely. I took all of my belongings with me (in a huge backpack) because of the hotel issues. Well, the bus driver on the way back made me stow my bag under the bus, which I just plain didn't feel comfortable doing. I got off at every stop between Stratford and London to make sure nobody stole it. Then, we pull into Victoria Station and wouldn't you know it? Some guy about the third to get off holds everyone up for a very long time, and by the time I get off the bus, my bag is gone.

I was a 20-year-old standing in the middle of Victoria Station with only my purse, which had my passport, credit cards, and some cash. And a week left of class, for which I had just lost my books and all of the essays I had already written. (As well as three posters w/a time line of The Bard's plays that were signed by all of that season's RSC actors! GAH!) I was devastated, did a lot of crying in the police station, and then you know what? It was fine. I bought some emergency toiletries, a couple outfits, and I had just as much fun that last week. And the flight home was super easy--no bags to haul to the airport. :cheeky:

I guess what I'm saying is that we always think that it will be the end of the world if we lose something, but it's not. I lost an entire summer's worth of work and clothing and memorabilia, and it hurt for about a day, but I totally survived.

AND, since then, I've calmed down and I don't worry too much when we travel. I've never had anything stolen since.

LOL, in my opinion as long as thief doesn't take the COMFORTABLE SHOES off your feet, the vacation can be saved. ::)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Everyone has such thoughtful and sensible replies...thanks! Your story Haven does put things in perspective....

I tend to be cautious--but not paranoid. My DH has enough of that and my son, well, none of it! I am in the middle....

This time travelling --we are going ultra lite. NO ten purses and 20 pair of shoes (OK a bit of exaggeration :bigsmile: ); so I have to decide--and realize I really don't have a suitable bag to travel with. For all intents and purposes I really want a flatter purse--so I need to get one. I have to go DT to get a going away gift for a friend--and my desitnation will lead me to two places that carry Tumi products....if not that brand I will find something suitable.

TG--now you have Amelia--don't you need bigger purses when you travel????? Or does she have her own backpack/bag?

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon, when Amelia and I travel to Australia, I don't need anything different from what I carry here. I carry nothing for her, really (except for our time on the plane, of course). Drinks can be purchased out and about if needed, and so can food. She's potty trained so I never carry extra clothes.

The bag I carry on a daily basis (including when I'm out with AMelia) is about 8 inches by 9 inches, so it's very small. I carry my wallet, lipstick and phone, and that's it. ::)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1336151672|3187598 said:
Sharon--You will LOVE traveling light. It is very freeing. DH and I traveled with only an Eddie Bauer medium duffle bag to Ireland for ten days: http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=35793&prodsearch=6&cm_cg=T95

It was so nice to have very little to lug around.

Bingo! And with rental cars--there is NO room for people b/c of luggage!

P.S. I checked out the Eddie Bauer duffle, and it was sold out locally......they have great products....

cheers--Sharon

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Oooh Paris and Italy would be lovely :love: personally, id save my pennies for a nice bag (or three!) in Florence, and make do til then. Or if you cant wait maybe an LV messenger bag in Paris :naughty:

I really find that in a first world country, and especially in Europe, its better to just dress normally - and sometimes better than normally so you can imagine you're a glamorous European and having cocktails in florence or a late supper in paris is just everyday =)

im so jealous, canuck, wish i was going too! please please DESTROY the tagliatelle al tartufo in Tuscany :bigsmile: for me?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I lived in Italy for 8 years and just used a normal handbag the whole time. I was never robbed.

American tourists stand out pretty majorly - mainly because they dress so much more casually than Italian would... you won't really see Italians wearing shorts and sandals in the street in a major city (maybe at the beach but they won't wear socks with the sandals). They also tend to wear 'fanny packs' (makes the British laugh as here a 'fanny' is a rude word for lady bits) which no-one else does.

Basically dress in smart casuals and carry an ordinary handbag and you should be fine.

At bars or restaurants you either put your bag on your knee or you hook it over your knee under the table. If you put it on the floor under your chair or hook it over the back of your chair then you are asking for it to disappear.

Tuscany is pretty safe - watch it in Florence though.

Happy to give ideas on where to visit if you need any - I lived in Arezzo for 6 of the 8 years I was out there.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sharon -

I do the same as TG. I wear a smaller cross-body bag that fits what I need - including my small camera. I have several, and they're all made by Fossil. Nice leather, and safe. My mother was carrying one when she was pickpocketed in a Paris Mero station (long story, but due to a bit of a security lapse by us, her daughters) and all they got was about $8. The design of the purse prevented them from getting any of the more important things she was carrying. And those pickpockets are GOOD. She never knew it happened.

We're also big fans of traveling light. My DH and I have a rule that we never check luggage. Ever. If it doesn't fit in a carry-on, it doesn't go. We even did carry-on for a 5-week trip to Italy that included hiking gear. The key is to reduce the number of shoes, learn how to pack your clothes (rolling works best for me), have all of your clothes color-coordinated so they go with each other, and stick to versatile pieces that can be dressed up or dressed down. Oh, and we shipped back our hiking stuff once that part of the trip was over. Left more room for souvenirs.

It really is freeing to travel light. Once you do it, you never go back to the old way.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1336152291|3187605 said:
I lived in Italy for 8 years and just used a normal handbag the whole time. I was never robbed.

American tourists stand out pretty majorly - mainly because they dress so much more casually than Italian would... you won't really see Italians wearing shorts and sandals in the street in a major city (maybe at the beach but they won't wear socks with the sandals). They also tend to wear 'fanny packs' (makes the British laugh as here a 'fanny' is a rude word for lady bits) which no-one else does.

Basically dress in smart casuals and carry an ordinary handbag and you should be fine.

At bars or restaurants you either put your bag on your knee or you hook it over your knee under the table. If you put it on the floor under your chair or hook it over the back of your chair then you are asking for it to disappear.

Tuscany is pretty safe - watch it in Florence though.

Happy to give ideas on where to visit if you need any - I lived in Arezzo for 6 of the 8 years I was out there.

Yes, please make any suggestion!

Oddly enough--I've travelled Europe and Italy was the one country I was continually on guard...and where my Mom lost her bag...the classic purse behind chair removal/caper.....and enough said on "fanny packs" :bigsmile: ;)).....

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blackpaw|1336152204|3187603 said:
Oooh Paris and Italy would be lovely :love: personally, id save my pennies for a nice bag (or three!) in Florence, and make do til then. Or if you cant wait maybe an LV messenger bag in Paris :naughty:

I really find that in a first world country, and especially in Europe, its better to just dress normally - and sometimes better than normally so you can imagine you're a glamorous European and having cocktails in florence or a late supper in paris is just everyday =)

im so jealous, canuck, wish i was going too! please please DESTROY the tagliatelle al tartufo in Tuscany :bigsmile: for me?

Will do! :lickout:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1336153668|3187619 said:
Sharon -

I do the same as TG. I wear a smaller cross-body bag that fits what I need - including my small camera. I have several, and they're all made by Fossil. Nice leather, and safe. My mother was carrying one when she was pickpocketed in a Paris Mero station (long story, but due to a bit of a security lapse by us, her daughters) and all they got was about $8. The design of the purse prevented them from getting any of the more important things she was carrying. And those pickpockets are GOOD. She never knew it happened.

We're also big fans of traveling light. My DH and I have a rule that we never check luggage. Ever. If it doesn't fit in a carry-on, it doesn't go. We even did carry-on for a 5-week trip to Italy that included hiking gear. The key is to reduce the number of shoes, learn how to pack your clothes (rolling works best for me), have all of your clothes color-coordinated so they go with each other, and stick to versatile pieces that can be dressed up or dressed down. Oh, and we shipped back our hiking stuff once that part of the trip was over. Left more room for souvenirs.

It really is freeing to travel light. Once you do it, you never go back to the old way.

RW:

I've had a bit of a tug-of-war with my DH--I only want to take two pull-duffle bags for 3 people and he wants to take a bag for each. I have agreed to three--but they won't be the carry on size you state; I am not that brave yet!

I am an overpacker, for sure. Granted many trips we take require "dressing" therefore I pack accordingly. But this time, no. I bought a few new inexpensive items (from H & M), fun trendy fashionable stuff that coordinate with my current wardrobe--that I can leave behind as needed. Coordination is the key as you suggest. So in packing light--our three suitcases will be only partially full at the outset--but probably won't be the case at ene end? :bigsmile:

BTW my friend who was recently a month in Africa went to a travel/packing prep--and she now "rolls" and said it was her lifesaver and her clothes came out looking very well. (she also overpacks)

cheers--Sharon

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hear you on the struggle not to overpack. I used to do it until the suitcase with all my clothes didn't make our flight for a month-long trip to Australia and NZ. We spent the first 3 days in Sydney on the phone trying to track down my suitcase (which had never left the States) and me making do with my plane outfit and one change of underwear. My bag also didn't make our flight to Hawaii once and didn't come in until the next day. I'm not sure if we'd have become carry-on fanatics if those two events hadn't happened, but now I'm glad they did.

My dress-up outfit is a black knit dress that has a matching jacket. It works in all seasons by either wearing or not wearing the jacket. Add a scarves, change the jewelry, wear a cardigan over it, and it's a new look. I've worn it to La Scala and mass at Notre Dame. The hard part is taking a pair of heels to go with it. Shoes take up so much space!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1336159782|3187683 said:
I hear you on the struggle not to overpack. I used to do it until the suitcase with all my clothes didn't make our flight for a month-long trip to Australia and NZ. We spent the first 3 days in Sydney on the phone trying to track down my suitcase (which had never left the States) and me making do with my plane outfit and one change of underwear. My bag also didn't make our flight to Hawaii once and didn't come in until the next day. I'm not sure if we'd have become carry-on fanatics if those two events hadn't happened, but now I'm glad they did.

My dress-up outfit is a black knit dress that has a matching jacket. It works in all seasons by either wearing or not wearing the jacket. Add a scarves, change the jewelry, wear a cardigan over it, and it's a new look. I've worn it to La Scala and mass at Notre Dame. The hard part is taking a pair of heels to go with it. Shoes take up so much space!

Yes to the little black dress and black sweater/jacket. And shoes do present a conundrum (sp) but I have decided on kitten heels; altho I could run a marathon in my pumps, I think the lower heels will serve with both my colored jeans and dress with tights.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results