shape
carat
color
clarity

Best setting for RB w/large table

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I am a newb, but have learned a LOT over the past week and a half of reading PS and DT roughly 8 hrs a day. I swear, it''s like a fulltime job! Made easier because you guys are a great resource - based on my limited knowledge, a jeweler complimented me on being the rare informed customer because I knew some of the lingo and to ask questions. It coulda been hot air, but I''ll take what I can get.

My question pertains to the best platinum setting for a 75pt RB w/ a table of 65, depth 60 (family stone but I get to pick my setting):
1) What setting lets the stone have the most sparkle and fire?
2) What setting best protects the stone?

Are these two mutually exclusive? I am fond of bezel and semi-bezel settings and would prefer not to go with prongs if possible. Tension set is currently out because I would only feel comfortable with a Kretchmer and those are too expensive with not enough selection.

Lastly, do you think its worth getting a Mark Morrell setting for a stone that isn''t ideal cut?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions!
37.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Since you already like a bezel, perhaps a half bezel would would beautiful. If you love the stone, set it in a MM. Who cares if it numbers don''t meet "ideal". It can still be absolutely beautiful and it has a family history. Even more beautiful......

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if I recall correctly in the past Garry has recommended that shallower/larger tabled stones be put into high settings so that light can get to them from as many angles as possible rather than something like a bezel or half where the light is only directed in from the top. With an ideal cut stone the light goes in the top to come out the top after richocheting around. But with a stone where the cut is undetermined, you might be losing some light out other areas of the stone. So not sure I'd put a stone like that in a half-bezel or a bezel where you restrict the light movement...probably just a simple tallish solitaire with the stone not set too low into the head. Though that doesn't really 'protect' the stone necessarily, but you could go 6 prong instead of 4 which does offer more protection.

But anyway you can search on this...I know he has talked about it before on here, good luck!!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
thank you. I had done a search for large table, and it didn''t provide as much info as the ones I''m doing now on prong vs. bezel. Does the setting make any difference if the stone is IF and E color (ie, does that add some fire and compensate some for not being ideal cut?)

The other thing is I am terribly clumsy, so the protection of a bezel sounds good. But I guess it''s a process of weighing benefits vs. disadvantages.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
what about a semi-tension setting? it looks like a tension setting, has completely open sides for lots of light, and a bar underneath to stabilize the ring. i have one and find it to be very secure. but of course, nothing is completely safe.

oh, i forgot to mention, this is from leber jeweler's website, www.leberjeweler.com. my ring is a version of this, but there are many many other designers who have similar rings.

emma_276px.jpg

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
side view.

emma_diamond_276px.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results