shape
carat
color
clarity

Best setting for child's studs?

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping to get some advice from those of you with martini stud settings. I am looking to upgrade my young daughter's diamond studs for her birthday. She is still pretty little, but she has worn the first pair I got her (.25cttw) just about 24/7 for the past three years. She sleeps in them, plays sports, goes to school, etc. I take them off only to clean and then they are right back in. She has basket setting now (as do I), but I am loving how the martini setting looks and think it would be beautiful on her little ear. However, I have read some stories about this setting causing a bigger hole in the ear. Is this a legitimate concern given that she will be sleeping in them and wearing them all of the time, or is this something that could be prevented by having them screwed on a little looser. Is this setting otherwise a bad idea for a child?

Thanks in advance!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter wore the stainless steel cz studs from 3 months to teen. I would be terrified of losing real diamonds at a young age. For myself personally I hate screw ins. I feel they come loose more than push backs. I ended up buying little plastic backs on amazon to reinforce the screw. Again my opinion. I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy her real diamonds.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would be very not pleased to have stretched piercings, now that I am not wearing earrings much of the time. You are right to worry, IMHO.

I can say that bezel set studs do not stretch piercings, but have not tried martini either. I would not have studs sag - they snag, even the bezel set.

2p

Your post brings a smile or two, I so enjoyed serious earrings when little! When I put any on now, it is in the memory of those.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely don’t do classic martini or anything with a sharp end that will dig into delicate ears!

I wore earrings 24/7 as a child too - cultural thing. All mine had low heights and heads with flat backs.

Can your jeweller source or make a head like this?

5D45B5D7-AB96-490F-9665-1C579C7FE94E.jpeg

Three prongs will be more delicate than four, or a bezel - more chance of damaging a mount and losing a stone.

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I fear losing a diamond stud...cannot imagine buying a pair for a child. My opinion.

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
Definitely don’t do classic martini or anything with a sharp end that will dig into delicate ears!

I wore earrings 24/7 as a child too - cultural thing. All mine had low heights and heads with flat backs.

Can your jeweller source or make a head like this?

Three prongs will be more delicate than four, or a bezel - more chance of damaging a mount and losing a stone.

Thank you so much, this is helpful.I will hold off on martini and look into something like that. Its disappointing because the setting is so beautiful, but I definitely don't want to damage her ears. I know I wore earrings my whole life, but my mother was always very careful to make sure I didn't wear anything too heavy so as to not stretch out the holes, and I am so grateful. I want to take the same precautions for my daughter.

And, I appreciate many of your concerns about diamonds for a child. I appreciate that it is not the status quo per say, but at this size, the price is still relatively low in comparison to larger carat weights. Many people spend more on Starbucks in a year than I will spend on her earrings that will hopefully last for several (as her current pair has). I will be sad if she loses one, but that is a risk I'm willing to take. I had always dreamed of having a girly little girl. However you get what you get and my little is a tomboy, she chases after and tries to do everything with her big brother as opposed to her mama. But she loves her "sparkly" earrings and she periodically asks me to clean them for her so they sparkle more. So we clean our earrings together and it is something that I cherish. I also love how they look on her. So, I'm going to get her new ones, and hope for the best!

Thanks all!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so sweet. I’m sure she will love whatever you get for her.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How old is she @Sparklemom?

I love bezels for kids - especially younger kids. There are no prongs to catch anything! I ripped my navel ring out taking a sweater off - prong caught - at twenty something. Sh*t happens! But I imagine younger children are even more vulnerable to that sort of injury... bezels avoid all those complications!

How would she feel about a new pair of baby bezels?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How old is she @Sparklemom?

I love bezels for kids - especially younger kids. There are no prongs to catch anything! I ripped my navel ring out taking a sweater off - prong caught - at twenty something. Sh*t happens! But I imagine younger children are even more vulnerable to that sort of injury... bezels avoid all those complications!

How would she feel about a new pair of baby bezels?
Love the idea of bezels. If my daughter was willing to pierce her ears I would be buying them from WF in a hot second. I don’t have concerns about my daughter wearing real diamonds because she’s more paranoid than me. She would never take them off or play rough enough that it would be a concern. I got her her first diamond pendant when she was 10 and she wouldn’t wear it to school. I wouldn’t have cared. Anyway. Six prong martini settings stretched my piercings so I would avoid those. I think baby bezels would be fabulous. Please share pics! And WF’s jumbo backs are super secure and sturdy. I wear mine 24/7, do marathon training in them. They NEVER get loose. Just an FYI.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost so many studs as a child that my parents stopped giving me anything real. I was a true tom-boy. What worked best for me was the hoops that are continuous so that if they get tugged, they fall out rather than tear the holes. I still wear them today. They come in all sizes and are super comfortable. They are a fine wire, so don't stretch the hole. You can add little dangly gems to make them sparkle.

1572095002044.png

As gifts, I add gemstone beads to them like these (not mine, but similar).
1572095150288.png

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a pair for my little niece. I liked the idea of a bezel but didn't like that they would have to be destroyed if she ever wanted to reset colored gemstones in case she ever upgrade her diamonds. I bought a partial bezel from Stuller. Easy to clean as well. The 4 flaps are super thin & delicate with no chance the stone will fall out. Yet, adds a touch of size too. They fit really well in the IDJ jackets made for 4mm studs. That's another rabbit hole. LOL Her diamonds are .22 each.
Here's the stuller link..

Another option would be to set the diamonds as a dangle on a hoop. Then she still gets to wear her diamonds. :))

Attachments

• BGD-1.jpg
    BGD-1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 56
  • BGD-2.jpg
    BGD-2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5971.jpg
    IMG_5971.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5973.jpg
    IMG_5973.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5972.jpg
    IMG_5972.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6996.jpg
    IMG_6996.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a pair for my little niece. I liked the idea of a bezel but didn't like that they would have to be destroyed if she ever wanted to reset colored gemstones if she ever upgraded.. I bought a partial bezel from Stuller. Easy to clean as well. The 4 flaps are super thin & delicate with no chance the stone will fall out. Yet, adds a touch of size too. They fit really well in the IDJ jackets made for 4mm studs. That's another rabbit hole. LOL
Here's the stuller link..

Another option would be to set the diamonds as a dangle on a hoop. Then she still gets to wear her diamonds. :))
I really like that setting! It’s the best of both worlds.

Reactions: BMI

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for your contributions! These are some great ideas. I originally had primarily been mainly deciding between the 4 prong basket setting which she has done well with in her current pair and the martini because I really like that look. I did end up getting the basket setting in the child size posts with bell backs that keep it pretty close to her ear. They just arrived today, so I can't wait to give them to her tonight. However, I will be monitoring her closely over the next day or so to make sure they are comfortable during sleep and play given that they are bigger than her current ones. And if they cause any problems, I will exchange for bezel or partial bezel. AND omg @ccuheartnurse, the earring jackets! I might have to look into those for special occasions! Maybe matching ones for both of us!

Here are her earrings that just arrived. I'll try to get a pick with them on her ear tonight.

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 30
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 36

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They look so adorable on her! What size did you go with?

When I was previewing my post, I started laughing at myself. I wrote they look adorable for a little girl! They actually look substantial. :shock:
-
DSS is a certifiable condition.
:lol:

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
They look so adorable on her! What size did you go with?

When I was previewing my post, I started laughing at myself. I wrote they look adorable for a little girl! They actually look substantial. :shock:
-
DSS is a certifiable condition.
:lol:

Thank you! :) They are .5ct. I honestly like buying diamonds for her as much as I do for myself because I get to see them every time I look at her. :)

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a lucky little girl. They look great on her!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results