shape
carat
color
clarity

Best setting for a poor quality 1 ct. round stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock

Hi, this is my first time submitting a question. When we were first married my husband bought me a 3/4 to 1 ct. round solitare diamond. He went for larger instead of quality. He is still so proud of the diamond I feel I can''t replace it but wondered how I could set it to make it look a little less flawed. When it is clean it isn''t to bad...... :) We have been married twenty years and I want to reset it but wondered if I should set it in yellow or white and what type of setting helps :)

Thanks

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Can you be more specific about your diamonds flaws, is it yellow, are there black spots, etc. That would go a long way in helping you decide. I''m buying a 2.77 J SI2 (which I really think is more of an I1) there are no black spots but I can see inclusions, here and there. I''m choosing a simple antique setting to compliment it.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

I understand the feeling of not wanting to upgrade...I wanted to upgrade but my hubby wants me to keep my original diamond and I can respect that. So now, I have to start small and upgrade to my "dream diamond"...but that''s okay, I consider it a challenge! Once I get that diamond, I will reset my original one in another piece of jewelry.

Would your hubby go for that? Maybe you could set it in a necklace so that diamond would be close to your heart

30.gif
. If it''s around your neck, the quality of the diamond won''t be as noticiable (if that''s what is bothering you). Good luck!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
It is a little yellow not to bad but it has a couple of black spots and it seems like it has some weird crackle look at the bottem. If you look at it under a loop it has a two real black spots and the strange crackle

woobug02

Ideal_Rock

how will you upgrade. Do get a new set and reset the original in something else like the necklace you recommended??

wooo

35.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you can get the diamond recut and then set in platinum or white gold if not just do the later.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Do you think that it would look best in the traditional white gold tiffany setting or something that covers it up a little :)

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I''m planning to recut mine sometime in the future. But I think a bezel setting would go along way in hiding the flaws in your stone. Like a "Pave Bezel" check out "artofplatinum.com" I tried to post a pic
20.gif
There''s so much going on in the setting it draws your eyes away from the center.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I agree that a necklace is the best option in this case. IF he really objects, perhaps you can set it into a really cool, chunky modern setting that will make the flaws look more like part of the piece!

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I think a nice two-tone setting with a bezel set in yellow gold might help hide the flaws in the stone. Add a nice pave set diamond wedding band to set flush against it might take away the attention of the center stones flaws. ??
emwink.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I''d have to agree with LuvthatSparkle. My first engagement diamond was a poorly cut 1.2 ct I - I1. I had it reset into a pave bezel pendant and I think it goes a long way towards distracting the eye.
2.gif
Here''s a pic of it:

DSCN0847b.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Wow, is the necklace your old diamond

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of my rings, the center is a true I1.

prissy11missy-img600x450-1083531010mvc_002s.jpg

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I think we''re on to something here!!
3.gif
the sapphire bezel ring and the bezel pendent are gorgeous! My diamond is too big for a bezel mainly because of my small hands so I chose a pave like antique setting to compliment but at the same time distract the eye. Whatever you do pendant or ring think bezel!! yummy! lol

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
That setting is beautiful!!! Where did you find it....

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock

Try http://www.faycullen.com

She sells antiques and reproduction settings. You should find something similar. However, bezels are popular right now, you can do a search here on pricescope and find all kinds of bezel set rings.

Patty

Ideal_Rock

bettercropped.JPG

This is what I did with my old diamond. It's .93, I-1, J color.

I think it looks nice as a pendant and the half bezel means you don't see the stone from the side very much.

I also LOVE the bezel ideas shown on this thread!

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks~! I had this one made for myself.... You can never have to many sparklies~!
emwink.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
beautiful!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results