shape
carat
color
clarity

Best price/quality loupes for comsumer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
I am becoming very fascinated with gemology, and would like to buy myself a 10X and 30X loupe to observe stones with. (Preferably the folding kind that carry so easily.) Does anyone have preferences on type, brand, etc of loupes? I'd like something nice, but not too expensive. Also, does anyone out there recommend getting any other tools, books, etc for an amateur gem hobbyist who is just starting to learn?

Thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We now have a great loupe available (as soon as they arrive at Leonids address) at www.ideal-scope.com

It is a loupe I purchased a dozen of 5-10 years ago, and recently came accross the manufacturer so we ordered some because we get requests from people buying ideal-scopes.

I always have one of these 10x loupes in my pocket, it is a very light weight 21mm (very wide view for easy use) plastic cased unit with 4 lens (not the usual 3 or 2).

We will be selling it for $35 plus P+H, and it is the best loupe I have ever used. It compares with the Zeiss that sells for multiples of this price.

As a geologist we used 20x lenses, and frankly they are both to hard to use (tiny focal length and lens diameter) and not worth the time - especially if you are not experianced. if you want those powers you really need a binocular microscope.

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
Sounds great, thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results