shape
carat
color
clarity

Best option for 1 stop purchase?

lacking_bling

Rough_Rock
Hello Diamond Gurus!

This place is awesome! What a great community of bling enthusiasts. I found this forum by pure luck and the timing is perfect :)

The facts:

My budget: 6-7K

I am set on a halo setting like the one below:
https://bridal.gabrielny.com/product/ER7500W44JJ

After weeks of looking at loose stones and configuring rings on Blue Nile, I am convinced that the diamond size for my budget is .73 to .88. Am I right?

I've read a lot and I am no where near becoming an expert negotiator or a diamond finder. I am starting to think there's no real deal other than avoiding the jewelry stores at the mall.

Can anyone please recommend a 1 stop online store where I may be able to get this setting (or similar) and a nice stone with confidence. BTW, I am in the Mooresville, NC area in case anyone has a local place in mind.

Thank you in advanced.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
What I suggest you do is purchase from Good Old Gold, since they are a GabrielNY authorized vendor.

They can get the exact setting you mentioned and have myriad stones in house that would work for you.

I picked a few, just to get you started. These should all be under budget, even with the exact setting you had mentioned!

Steps to One-Stop Shopping:
1. Choose your setting (which you have already done)
2. Choose your favorite stones and ask GOG to make you a video of the 3 you like most.:

Choose from this shortlist (any of them would be a winner with a top-notch cut) -
.90ct, H, SI1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11717/

.84ct, H, SI1 - August Vintage
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12456/

.81ct, G, VS2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11741/

.80ct, F, SI1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12072/

.79ct, G, SI1 - August Vintage
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12284/

3. Pick the stone you like most
4. Have GOG set the stone and ship it directly to you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rocky has done the heavy lifting. GOG is your best bet. I'd pick either if the first two stones.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There you go! How easy was that? Come back with the result!

lacking_bling

Rough_Rock
Outstanding!

Thank you RockyRacoon! What a magnificent response. Now I'm excited!

I am intrigued about option 2. It's different.

I am catching this response outside of GOG's business hours but it's first on my list for tomorrow.
I will report back as soon as I make a decision :)

Cheers everyone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the faceting of the AVC and it will be unique and different, without being 'too' different.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
lacking_bling|1407806123|3730555 said:
Thank you RockyRacoon! What a magnificent response. Now I'm excited!

I am intrigued about option 2. It's different.

Not a problem!

If I were in your shoes, with the setting you had linked, I would probably pick Option 2 (the August Vintage stone), but it's really a matter of preference. I have a feeling that once you see the video of that stone alongside another, it will be an easier decision.

Whichever way you go, you should be a happy camper.

Let us know the results!

lacking_bling

Rough_Rock
Good Morning!

Well, grateful for your recommendations based on my budget, I've been locked in on option 1 and 2 with confidence. Last night I finally decided for option 1. I believe the ring will be lovely!

Now...a quick question:

I went to a local store to see and touch the Gabriel setting. The man immediately informed about taking off 15%. This translates to approx. $215. So....do I deviate from my "1 stop shop" model and save or do I stick to 1 transaction with GOG because of their great reputation? I am not sure that I can ask GOG to price match.

So close....Thanks!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, If it were me, I wouldn't try to save a couple hundred like that cause peace of mind is worth a lot to me. GOG is an excellent vendor and you don't have to worry about switching stones or damage during setting, you are completely covered. Besides, wouldn't your local jeweler have to charge you tax and a setting fee? Thereby eating up your savings and at the same adding unnecessary risk? You wouldn't need a price match, but you could ask for a small reduction, especially if you paying by wire, maybe $100. Is it worth it?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
lacking_bling|1407931344|3731420 said:
Good Morning!

Well, grateful for your recommendations based on my budget, I've been locked in on option 1 and 2 with confidence. Last night I finally decided for option 1. I believe the ring will be lovely!

Now...a quick question:

I went to a local store to see and touch the Gabriel setting. The man immediately informed about taking off 15%. This translates to approx. $215. So....do I deviate from my "1 stop shop" model and save or do I stick to 1 transaction with GOG because of their great reputation? I am not sure that I can ask GOG to price match.

So close....Thanks!

The thing that the local store didn't tell is that they will charge you to set the stone. This may not be a large fee, but will certainly be over $100.

In addition, you have to pay sales tax on local purchases, and you don't have to pay sales tax on purchases from GOG (assuming you aren't in NY state).

I would ask GOG to see what they could do on the setting price, as they may have some wiggle room. Ultimately, I would probably stick with one vendor to avoid possible complications (issues with setting the stone, warranty issues down the road, etc.).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, you still have the setting fee and how good is their bench? I would keep the entire thing at GOG.

lacking_bling

Rough_Rock
And so it is!

Thanks for the sound advice.

All with GOG! About 3 weeks or less and it will be in my hands. I will be sure to share images inmediately.

Now for propios al ideas...we are flying down to Dominican Repúblic "so I can get dental work". The dentist is actually my cousin. My girlfriend's family and close friends live there so it's key that I propose there and get everyone involved.
Logistics are more accessible than in the US, you can get more done with a lot less.

Perhaps I should be moving this discussion but I welcome any big ideas for proposing.

Thanks everyone for such great guidance in my search for a ring. This couldn't have been any easier!

I am not sure why anybody would purchase any diamonds without consulting pricescope :)

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
That 84 point AVR will rock your world. I know this, bacause I'm wearing an 83 pointer right now. :appl: :appl: :appl: :love:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
OP, do yourself a favor and reserve that thing before it gets poached! :errrr:

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
lacking_bling|1407947286|3731552 said:
And so it is!

Thanks for the sound advice.

All with GOG! About 3 weeks or less and it will be in my hands. I will be sure to share images inmediately.

Now for propios al ideas...we are flying down to Dominican Repúblic "so I can get dental work". The dentist is actually my cousin. My girlfriend's family and close friends live there so it's key that I propose there and get everyone involved.
Logistics are more accessible than in the US, you can get more done with a lot less.

Perhaps I should be moving this discussion but I welcome any big ideas for proposing.

Thanks everyone for such great guidance in my search for a ring. This couldn't have been any easier!

I am not sure why anybody would purchase any diamonds without consulting pricescope :)

Glad to hear they were able to get you set up! I've made purchases from GOG in the past and the customer service has always been solid.

You're going to end up with a solid ring, at an extremely fair price, and (MOST IMPORTANTLY!) a very happy wife-to-be.

Some of the more creatively romantic members of the community will surely help you with proposal ideas (I think there is a specific part of Pricescope devoted to this sort of thing, but don't quote me on that)!

lacking_bling

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rocky Racoon! I am very content and at ease with my decision! So glad you, Gypsy and others took the time to assist me.

- Thanks Andelain, I actually went with option 1, the .90. and I did reserve it. I saw videos and had a tough debate between the 2 stones. I may be mistaken, but the premium round just sparkled a bit more than the AVR. I am color blind...this may play a factor. If I am totally mistaken I am open to a strong suggestion. I am sure I still cal today to change the order. I want it to be amazing!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
lacking_bling|1407951062|3731598 said:
Thanks Rocky Racoon! I am very content and at ease with my decision! So glad you, Gypsy and others took the time to assist me.

- Thanks Andelain, I actually went with option 1, the .90. and I did reserve it. I saw videos and had a tough debate between the 2 stones. I may be mistaken, but the premium round just sparkled a bit more than the AVR. I am color blind...this may play a factor. If I am totally mistaken I am open to a strong suggestion. I am sure I still cal today to change the order. I want it to be amazing!

That .9 is a beauty, you can't go wrong with either. I'll say this though, I think that AVR has the best ASET I've ever seen. Anywhere. Even better than my beloved E on my finger. If I wasn't about to buy a CBI, I might have snagged that up on sight.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
Just adding another opinion I would take he AVR over a round brilliant ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!! I think they are more unique and it would look fantastic with that halo.

:bigsmile:

lacking_bling

Rough_Rock
Well, fate must be conspiring in my favor...I just received this from GOG about 30 mis ago:

gog_email.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
lacking_bling|1407954452|3731623 said:
Well, fate must be conspiring in my favor...I just received this from GOG about 30 mis ago:

So are you going to hold out for that one, or try the AVR?

Something to consider, have them send it loose. That way you can look at it without losing $$$ if it's not everything you'd hoped for.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
lovemybling|1407953266|3731615 said:
Just adding another opinion I would take he AVR over a round brilliant ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!! I think they are more unique and it would look fantastic with that halo.

:bigsmile:

I have both, love both, and don't think I could choose only one. But that particular AVR........ :drool: :drool:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for saving me $4500. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
lacking_bling|1407958795|3731692 said:
Just spoke to a rep at GOG and switched to the AVR.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12456/

Thanks for your help!!

Although it's generally just a matter of preference, whether someone prefers a MRB vs. AVR, this particular instance seems a bit different.

The AVR you are looking at is AWESOME. It's not just that it's an AVR cut, but an extremely well-cut stone, even for normal exacting August Vintage standards.

I don't like to push folks in one direction or another (as it really is a preference thing), but in this case, I'm glad you ended up with that stone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd take the AVR in a heartbeat.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1407963653|3731746 said:
I'd take the AVR in a heartbeat.

Too late, the OP already did! :bigsmile: :rodent:

lacking_bling

Rough_Rock
The ring is here!!!

Under budget and Above Expectations!!!

WOW! There is so much I'd like to say...The ring looks amazingly spectacular!!!

I thought diamonds could only shine this much with numerous lights and placed over a mirror. I was wrong! This diamond is so sparkly, it hurts to stare at it. She is going to love everything about it!

Huge-Sincere thanks to the PriceScope community, specially RockyRaccoon for leading me to the light. Everyone's comments about the August Vintage were very accurate.

Big thanks to Marie and Darren at GOG for making this such an easy and pleasant experience.

- Here are a couple of images taken with my 4S. You guys know these phones help counter light so I assure you that the actual sparkle isn't captured here.

September 16th is the day!

august_vintage_.jpg

august_vintage_0.jpg

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
The ring is stunning, I just love AVRs! Your girlfriend will be thrilled! It's so lovely to see the ring on the same thread as the search and have the update. You had some fabulous help from Rocky, the community here on PS is amazing. Please post some hand shots once you propose, need to see more of that gorgeous ring :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! That AVR is killer!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
lacking_bling|1409768389|3744149 said:
WOW! There is so much I'd like to say...The ring looks amazingly spectacular!!!

I thought diamonds could only shine this much with numerous lights and placed over a mirror. I was wrong! This diamond is so sparkly, it hurts to stare at it. She is going to love everything about it!

Huge-Sincere thanks to the PriceScope community, specially RockyRaccoon for leading me to the light. Everyone's comments about the August Vintage were very accurate.

Big thanks to Marie and Darren at GOG for making this such an easy and pleasant experience.

September 16th is the day!

You did a great job.

You listened to constructive advice, engaged directly with a vendor you liked, and got exactly what you wanted for a fair price. You can feel good about it every time you look at the ring, and I have a very strong feeling that the recipient is going to feel great about it, too!

The juxtaposition of the AVR with the MRB melee is just awesome. Very unique and cool.

Less than 2 weeks until she gets to see the ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results