shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Online Shop to buy a 1ct GIA diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SamIsNewToDiamonds

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy a 1ct or a bit larger los diamond online. What would the best place be?

This is some of my requirements for the stone.

Certificate: GIA
Cut: Round
Carat: From 1 to 1.25
Cut: Ideal
Colour: F
Clarity: VVS2
Fluorescence: None/Negligible
Polish: EX|ID
Symmetry: EX|ID

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
in all honesty, many of the online vendors that ppl on pricescope have used are reputable. I personally have used Whiteflash.com. I bought my diamond, had setting custom made and my eternity band from them. There are a number of great vendors that are named on pricescope! GL
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
agree with Atroop..I personally have used Whiteflash as well, but I opted to go with their ACA diamonds which has the AGS certificate and I''m glad I bought their ACA because I think it sparkles like mad versus the GIA cert diamond, just IMO though... you do get a slightly higher discount 5% if you opt for the ACAs instead of their expert selection. I''m not sure of what your budget is.. if you want we can look for diamonds for you... I''m sure many would love to help find the perfect diamond for you and steer you in the right step.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think there is a best. Call a few shops and see who you like. Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, engagement rings direct, James Allen, Wink Jones- they can all help you find what you need!

By the way, if you have any interest in going bigger (or pocketing the difference!), you could definitely go "lower" on clarity and/or color. VVS is pretty overkill. My stone is an eye-clean SI2
1.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 10:03:44 AM
Author:SamIsNewToDiamonds
I am looking to buy a 1ct or a bit larger los diamond online. What would the best place be?

This is some of my requirements for the stone.

Certificate: GIA
Cut: Round
Carat: From 1 to 1.25
Cut: Ideal
Colour: F
Clarity: VVS2
Polish: EX|ID
Symmetry: EX|ID
Also are you sure you want these exact criteria? there''s a lot of info on pricescope on whether you would really want the VVS2 or you can get by with an SI1 (pay less on premiums) just wondering to what your reasoning is behind the F VVS2... because I guess for most its getting over the "mind" clean diamond vs the eye clean diamond, unless you are super Color Sensitive or even really see a difference between an F and a G

SamIsNewToDiamonds

Rough_Rock
A follow up question could be. Is there any price index for diamonds so one could compare the prices with that index?

If there is no price index for diamonds, it would be interesting to know how the prices are set.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 10:22:38 AM
Author: dannyandterry
agree with Atroop..I personally have used Whiteflash as well, but I opted to go with their ACA diamonds which has the AGS certificate and I''m glad I bought their ACA because I think it sparkles like mad versus the GIA cert diamond, just IMO though... you do get a slightly higher discount 5% if you opt for the ACAs instead of their expert selection. I''m not sure of what your budget is.. if you want we can look for diamonds for you... I''m sure many would love to help find the perfect diamond for you and steer you in the right step.
Just wanted to say that this is absolutely not a reason to choose AGS over GIA. AGS does provide more detailed information, however, the vendor can also get a sarin to provide that information as well. An AGS diamond does not necessarily sparkle more than from with a report from GIA.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 10:26:50 AM
Author: SamIsNewToDiamonds
A follow up question could be. Is there any price index for diamonds so one could compare the prices with that index?

If there is no price index for diamonds, it would be interesting to know how the prices are set.
There is something similar to what you''re asking about, called "Rappaport" but it''s not that useful for a consumer, IMO. If I were you, I''d head up to the top of this page and go to "Cut Quality Search." Then type in the parameters that you are looking for and see what price range the diamonds you want are in.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
there was a thread that a jeweler posted their index and their reasoning behind it,, but I can''t remember where I read it... Anyhow let me link you a few i found on whiteflash.. check out the assets, idealscope and you can see what a little performer they are.
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1466941.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-584873.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1466940.htm

so as you can see big price range difference from $7k to $12k.. so here are just a few, i just picked them randomly to show you.. but there are like 27 stones from 1c-1.75ct range, from criteria of F-G color all the way to s12...

SamIsNewToDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the swift answers.

When it comes to the quality of the stone, I would like to have that quality not from a visual but for a psychological reason. My girlfriend should not thing that I when cheap on her.

I live in Sweden, but diamonds are really expensive over her, so I would have to order it online, or from a city that I will/could visit.

So suggestions of good shops in the following countries/cities would be nice to have:
London (or UK)
New York (or close)
Anywhere in Belgium or Germany would also work.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 10:25:16 AM
Author: icekid
I don''t think there is a best. Call a few shops and see who you like. Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, engagement rings direct, James Allen, Wink Jones- they can all help you find what you need!

By the way, if you have any interest in going bigger (or pocketing the difference!), you could definitely go ''lower'' on clarity and/or color. VVS is pretty overkill. My stone is an eye-clean SI2
1.gif

ITA with icekid..I wanted the bigger BLING and also the best cut for my budget...so I went lower on clarity and color. I have an H/SI2 and it''s WHITE and EYE clean

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 10:25:16 AM
I don't think there is a best. Call a few shops and see who you like. Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, engagement rings direct, James Allen, Wink Jones- they can all help you find what you need!

By the way, if you have any interest in going bigger (or pocketing the difference!), you could definitely go 'lower' on clarity and/or color. VVS is pretty overkill. My stone is an eye-clean SI2
1.gif
Ditto. Try these vendors, then it just comes down to who has the particular diamond you like best, all are reputable with an excellent rep here.

www.highperformancediamonds.com

www.whiteflash.com

www.goodoldgold.com

Also if you want a London recommendation, contact Dr Indira Marchant at www.bestdiamonds.co.uk

Goodoldgold is in Long Island NY. Also Excel are in NYC - www.exceldiamonds.com as are

www.engagementringsdirect.com

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 10:29:34 AM

Just wanted to say that this is absolutely not a reason to choose AGS over GIA. AGS does provide more detailed information, however, the vendor can also get a sarin to provide that information as well. An AGS diamond does not necessarily sparkle more than from with a report from GIA.
I really wanted the best cut... and after research,, found that AGS... was a certificate that I wanted more than GIA to correct my previous post. They graded more heavily on Cut rather than color.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 10:33:51 AM

When it comes to the quality of the stone, I would like to have that quality not from a visual but for a psychological reason. My girlfriend should not thing that I when sheep on her.

I live in Sweden, but diamonds are really expensive over her, so I would have to order it online, or from a city that I will/could visit.

So suggestions of good shops in the following countries/cities would be nice to have:
London (or UK)
New York (or close)
Nothing wrong with that! Though you could also ask her if she prefers that sort of quality vs more size vs saving the extra money
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto this also. It is important to evaluate each diamond regardless of the lab cut grade if applicable on its own desirable visual and physical properties. This is done with ASET and or Idealscope images as well as evaluating the proportions. There are plenty of beautiful diamonds out there with both AGS and GIA reports.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 10:37:36 AM

I really wanted the best cut... and after research,, found that AGS... was a certificate that I wanted more than GIA to correct my previous post. They graded more heavily on Cut rather than color.
GIA doesn''t grade based on color ??? I''m not sure what you mean. AGS cut criteria are more stringent than GIA, I agree. However, this does not automatically make an AGS stone a better cut. AGS or GIA... it''s merely a question of where the vendor chooses to send the stone.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it was either stringent cut or stringent color for me.. guess it was more of a "mind" thing for me but yes,, there are plenty of awesome GIA diamonds.. I''m just stuck on AGS certificates more than I probably ought to be if I were able to see the stone in person, and didn''t have the certs, then my choosing maybe different. So if you can see visit the stones then choose on the little performer it is in person whichever one calls to you,, once you have a couple of choices maybe? i think you said that you can visit where you wanted to buy?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 10:46:52 AM
it was either stringent cut or stringent color for me.. guess it was more of a ''mind'' thing for me but yes,, there are plenty of awesome GIA diamonds.. I''m just stuck on AGS certificates more than I probably ought to be if I were able to see the stone in person, and didn''t have the certs, then my choosing maybe different. So if you can see visit the stones then choose on the little performer it is in person whichever one calls to you,, once you have a couple of choices maybe? i think you said that you can visit where you wanted to buy?
AGS grades equally stringently to GIA on color
2.gif
AGS is great (my diamond was graded by them, as well), but GIA is great too. The grading reports are not the end-all be-all and that is all that I am saying. Horror... even EGL could be a nice diamond!
1.gif

Sorry to continue to threadjack, Sam! Let us know what else we can do to help
1.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 10:54:43 AM

Date: 3/8/2009 10:46:52 AM
it was either stringent cut or stringent color for me.. guess it was more of a ''mind'' thing for me but yes,, there are plenty of awesome GIA diamonds.. I''m just stuck on AGS certificates more than I probably ought to be if I were able to see the stone in person, and didn''t have the certs, then my choosing maybe different. So if you can see visit the stones then choose on the little performer it is in person whichever one calls to you,, once you have a couple of choices maybe? i think you said that you can visit where you wanted to buy?
AGS grades equally stringently to GIA on color
2.gif
AGS is great (my diamond was graded by them, as well), but GIA is great too. The grading reports are not the end-all be-all and that is all that I am saying. Horror... even EGL could be a nice diamond!
1.gif

Sorry to continue to threadjack, Sam! Let us know what else we can do to help
1.gif
Agreed, lol,, on the EGL too!

kailee

Rough_Rock
my fiance checked the los angeles diamond district.

we visited oscars, iciingonthering, bridal rings and intagems. all had a good selection with competitive prices but we decided to go with goodoldgold.

bluenile, jamesallen should also be looked into.

mamong

Rough_Rock

When it comes to the quality of the stone, I would like to have that quality not from a visual but for a psychological reason. My girlfriend should not thing that I when cheap on her.

London (or UK)

New York (or close)

As you mentioned Belgium, you may want to contact Paul Slegers from www.craftedbyinfinity.com. I contacted him last month and he put me in contact to Rob van Beurden from www.diamondhouse.be. I met them both at Infinity in Antwerpen - great experience (more details for later
2.gif
). The visit has changed my perception about diamond colors. Was swearing no lowest than G before and I''ll now comfortably wear down to K Infinity diamond (and there was an O with fluoro, which to my eyes looked whiter than the M next to it, crazy). Got some quotes and their prices in Europe before tax is comparable to USA prices...

mamong

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 7:37:09 PM
Author: suspiciousmind

London (or UK)

New York (or close)

As you mentioned Belgium, you may want to contact Paul Slegers from www.craftedbyinfinity.com. I contacted him last month and he put me in contact to Rob van Beurden from www.diamondhouse.be. I met them both at Infinity in Antwerpen - great experience (more details for later
2.gif
). The visit has changed my perception about diamond colors. Was swearing no lowest than G before and I''ll now comfortably wear down to K Infinity diamond (and there was an O with fluoro, which to my eyes looked whiter than the M next to it, crazy). Got some quotes and their prices in Europe before tax is comparable to USA prices...
Just want to add to avoid misunderstanding: when I mentioned K, it''s just my personal preference. Their M and O stones I saw were as gorgeous and perform as well as the G and K stones. The thing is, IMHO there is nothing better then seeing IRL when comes to colors. Videos are great for comparison but not to determine color preference for a given diamond quality.

mamong

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 7:37:09 PM
Author: suspiciousmind

London (or UK)

New York (or close)

2.gif
Just want to add to avoid misunderstanding: when I mentioned K, it''s just my personal preference. Their M and O stones I saw were as gorgeous as the G and K I was comparing them to. The thing is, IMHO there is nothing better then seeing IRL when comes to colors. Videos are great for comparison but not to determine color preference for a given diamond quality.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Hi SamIsNew, there''s nothing better than real life comparisons to be honest with you, my latest purchase was from Whiteflash, very happy with them
36.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Haven''t read all the replies...but a first thought about where''s the best place to buy a diamond, if committed to GIA, is GOG. Given their approach of fastidious checking for light performance, without prejudice to certification (of AGS over GIA), this may be an "ideal" bet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results