shape
carat
color
clarity

Best metal for newly pierced ears (Ouch!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Actually, they''re not newly pierced, it''s been close to a month. I have been wearing 14k white gold & my ears haven''t healed properly. I have heard that Platinum is the best for allergies. Is this true? If so, does anyone know where I could get just a simple pair of earrings. Little balls or something like that? I have tried surgical steel & that doesn''t work either. Thanks in advance.
snore.gif

andrea

Shiny_Rock
some people just don't take well to pierced ears. hopefully your not one of them. before you spend much $$ on earrings, you might want to have someone look at them to see if they're infected, or that maybe your allergic to a certain metal. usually when they pierce your ears, they use earrings that will let your ears heal before you start changing from pair to pair.
good luck
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Many people have nickel allergies, so if you're one of them, platinum is probably the way to go. Most gold (especially, I would think for more inexpensive items such as tiny earrings) is alloyed with some nickel. Talk to your jeweler and make sure whatever earrings you get are nickel-free.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
The best thing for pierced ears IMHO is 14kt yellow gold earrings. You can pick up some really cheap, and before you put them in, go buy yourself a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and some Neosporin.

Take out your earrings now, and use a cotton ball to wash the front & back of the piercing with hydrogen peroxide (it wont hurt at all, I promise!)..then put Neosporin on front and back of ear piercings, as well as on the earring post & earring back.

Put on your earrings and every few days repeat this treatment.

If I had a nickel for all the times my ears got infected when I first got them pierced, well, I'd be a few dollars richer...LOL, but for me this little trick worked well. Old School, but effective!

And if you find its not better in a week or two, you may want to consider wearing Hoop earrings for awhile. Sometimes the front & backs of earrings prevent air from reaching the piercing -- therefore providing a breeding ground for bacteria. Just make sure the thickness of the hoop going through your ear is comparable to the thickness of a post earring or else your hole will heal really small & you won't be able to wear regular earrings.

cheers!

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! This is the third time I've tried to double pierce my ears. I've had the first holes since I was 14. I'll keep working on them! Hopefully, they'll heal soon.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I've so often seen this problem. Get rid of the white gold! It has a lot more nickel in it than yellow. The higher the karatage the better....18kt wll be less bothersome thn 14kt. Platinum, if you prefer the white metal, shouldn't give you any problems since it is pretty close to pure.I've never heard of an allergy to platinum. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results