shape
carat
color
clarity

Best mattress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I think DH and I are going to have to buy a new mattress. He is an "active" sleeper, and lately when he rolls over or kicks, the whole bed moves and wakes me up. This is just not working!

Remember those ads where they drop a bowling ball and the person doesn't feel it? Well, I need one of those that will work for a ~200 lb bowling ball.

Does anyone have a mattress they love, especially one that minimizes motion? I don't think we need a "sleep number" type, as we both tend to like the mattress about the same firmness. I was looking at the Tempurpedic. It looks awesome, but is so expensive! Anyone have it, and does it live up to the hype?

Many many many thanks!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a Tempurpedic, but, I do have a Beautyrest and I LOVE it. It is the mattress you remember from the bowling ball ad. I, too, have a 200 lb. bowling ball who thrashes around!
9.gif

Beautyrest carries all different support levels so the best thing is to test them out.

The mattress salesman tells me that he doesn''t usually recommend the Tempurpedic for *younger couples* (I don''t know your age
28.gif
) because there isn''t enough movement in the mattress for them. Haha...I thought it was so funny. I guess we look like we get down all the time and don''t want a boggy mattress holding us back!
9.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
My mom has a Tempurpedic because she has a bad back and you don''t roll around as much because you can''t. I use the pillows. She LOVES it! and several friends got the bed after she had it (before it became popular) Personally I am not the biggest fan of the bed and, sorry for the TMI, it makes doing certain ''activities'' kind of difficult.
2.gif
You really cannot move so well, but those activities certainly don''t have to be restricted to a bed. Also the smell of the tempur is really bad at first so be warned. When FI and I get a house I really want to look into the sleep number bed- That way both of you can have it set to your desires and maybe it will be more comfortable.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Tempurpedic and I love it! It has a different feel to it and does take a little getting used to but it is extremely comfortable. It offers great support without being hard as a rock. I read somewhere recently that you should try out a mattress by lying on it for thirty minutes or more. Would probably seem strange to do that in a store but you are spending big bucks no matter what you get so you should be able to lounge around on it for awhile. I''m not a real deep sleeper but there are times that hubby tells me in the morning that he has gotten up for this or that and I never felt it. That always seems strange to me as I usually would be aware of any movement but obviously I sleep right through it!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
We have a cheaper version of the Tempur and wish we had spent the extra for the real thing.

Ours is still great but after a few years it does seem to sag a bit more than I think it should - and neither DH nor I are on the heavy side.

I would never have another mattress that isn''t memory foam of some form.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have the Sealy River Crest, and it is fabulous! http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catalog/details.asp?ID=10806&CID=gooprod

We've had it for less than a year, but it is soooo comfortable. I recommended it to a co-worker, and he agrees that it's wonderful!

I'd say that it definitely minimizes motion because of the latex core. The outer layers are not latex, so they still provide support. The best way I can describe it is that I feel slightly enveloped by the mattress, but in a super comfy, still supported, not unpleasant/sinking sort of way.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I don''t recommend the tempurpedic. My mom purchased a queen size for her because she has horrible back pain. It is the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on and it did nothing to help my mom. She now sleeps on her couch.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I have slept in a sleep number bed at hotels and have not been impressed. We are in the market for a new mattress soon and we will certainly not be getting a sleep number bed.

My parents have a tempur-pedic in one of the condos that sees sporadic use and I was not impressed. My mother thinks it is great [don't know my father's opinion]. When DH and I have used it, I was indifferent and DH dislikes it - he finds it uncomfortable. So, it looks like we will not be getting one of those either.

The research continues . . . Can't wait to hear more recommendations!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Mark and I have a pillow top Heavenly bed...and it is heavenly.

amcgookin

Shiny_Rock
Have you ever heard of a Latex bed? They are AMAZING. My FI and I just got a king Latex Mattress and we love it. Even better than a tempurpedic! No springs and they are increadibly comfortable. I am told they don''t break down over time like the tempurpedic since they are made from a natural material instead of man-made. They sell them at all the major stores however they can be a little bit more expensive than a regular spring mattress.

Natural Latex is inherently hypo-allergenic, anti-microbial and dust mite resistant, making it perfect for allergy sufferers or anyone wanting to breathe fresh, clean air while they sleep. Great for me since I have allergies. In addition, natural latex is breathable, keeping you warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Derived from the heven brasiliensis, or the rubber tree, latex is the most naturally durable cushioning material available.

Oh and its environmentally friendly.... Good Luck!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Like Alison, we have a latex mattress and it is the best money we''ve ever spent. Totally worth the $1300 price tag (queen). My back does not hurt nearly as much and there''s no springs digging into me when I''m trying to sleep.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We have Simmon''s Beautyrest''s in every room. Simmons makes mattress for many vendors hence model names vary--but we bought the top of the line without a huge pillowtop (mod) because I don''t like the feel of something too "puffy". My sister just bought the memory foam type mattress and she says it is very "warm".

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of a latex mattress-where do find those? We''re hoping to get a new set too-I also have a +200# bowling ball flopping around constantly all night. We''d planned on a Tempur-pedic, but this latex sounds interesting.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Packrat - we got ours at Denver Mattress. I''m not sure who else sells them.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I have a BeautyRest and it''s fabulous! In fact, it''s calling my name right now. Time for bed!

My sister had a Tempurpedic and loved it. It''s just not my cup of tea. I''ve tried the Sleep Number bed and to me, it honestly felt like I was sleeping on an air mattress. Long story short, I recommend the Simmons BeautyRest.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone who has posted! I have never heard of the latex mattress either; I''ll read up on that. I think we definitely need to spend some time with the tempurpedic. I had never heard that about "activities", so good to know. It sounds like the beautyrest may be a great option for us. Nice to hear that a lot of people like it. Really, I''ve always been fine with just a regular mattress - I just need one that doesn''t bounce when DH moves. I''m trying to convince him that we should get a king bed and mattress, but we both like our queen bed (the wood part) and would be sad to replace it, so we are probably sticking with queen. It would be nice to have the extra room though. Oh well!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not crazy about Tempurpedic mattresses, personally. They''re comfy but they make me really hot when I sleep and I hate that. I actually don''t know what kind of mattress I have-it came from Costco. It''s a pillowtop, and I think it''s Sealy? I like it a lot.

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I looooooovvvveeee my tempurpedic. It supports you everywhere,and I just love the feel of it. I am very glad we bought it.

I have heard other complaints that it makes you hot, and that it smells in the beginning,but I don''t have either of those issues.

I do recommend that you lay on it for a while in the mattress store. I did not like it when I first tried it for a short time.

We have the mid range one, the lowest range one was a little flat feeling to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results