shape
carat
color
clarity

Best locations for inclusions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larry

Rough_Rock
When reading a grading certificate where would be the best places for inclusions to be in a diamond. I understand that some SI2 inclusions can be seen with the naked eye. Is it best to look for a diamond with several inclusions, one large inclusion, under the table or to the side of the table?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a no win end game Larry because the graders work it out to be fair all around.

So I often prefer an SI2 to be in the middle because it must be smaller to be there, otherwise the stone will drop to I1.
Alternatively an SI2 on the side will be bigger.

If a client has exceptional eye sight then I`will sell them an SI2 with 3 or 4 VS1 inclusions.

Do you see you can not beat the system?

Have a look at the tutorial where I deliberately put the same size inclusions in the center or the crown for 1 and 2 grades.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, the Cut Nut, forgot to tell you that a diamond that is cut for great brilliancy will mask many otherwise slightly eye-visible inclusions that you would see in a less well cut diamond. Placement is secondary to brilliancy to some extent.

I would avoid inclusions that are open to the surface of the stone as much as possible.

nycguy

Rough_Rock
the diamond I am close to purchasing has been given a grade of SI1 on its GIA report - after reading these posts I'm worried that it was improperly graded. there is a very small horizontal needle near the center of the table. it is not visible to the naked eye when looking directly straight down onto the diamond (trust me, I have tried very hard in all kinds of lighting). However, it IS visible to the naked eye when I hold the diamond at an angle. It is tiny - probably 1/15th the diameter of the table, but it is located in the center, and is visible when the diamond is held at an angle - should this really have been a SI2???? aside from this inclusion there are only two tiny tiny dots on the GIA report all the way off to the side - these were so small I couldn't even see them with a loupe. does this diamond sound like an average SI1?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is rare that these guys get the grades wrong. The grade is called face up, not from an oblique view.
If it worries you do not buy the stone.
But if you have keen eyesight and you go to such lengths you should buy a higher clarity maybe?

nycguy

Rough_Rock
it only concerns me to the extent that I don't want to be paying for a SI1 when I'm getting a borderline SI2. the diamond is beautiful, (i've compared it to "ideals") and their is really only that one inclusion on the table. I am very very close to purchasing it, I just wanted to know if based on my description above that this sounds like an average SI1 - I know you really would need to see it, and of course I would still get it appraised by someone who could actually examine it, I just want to know if just based on the description it sounds like a good SI1, an average SI1, or a poor one. I really would appreciate opinions. thanks.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Depending on your eyesight and the inclusion you *could* see an inclusion in a SI1 grade. People tend to say that SI1s are eye clean and they all are not. You can really see the difference as the diamond increases in size. A SI1 1/4 carat will be much more difficult to see the imperfection with the naked eye than say a 2 carat.

If buying larger buy a little cleaner, maybe VS.

I would also stay away from diamonds that have a feather at or very near the girdle

Just added my 2 cents..........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results