shape
carat
color
clarity

best hostess gifts??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
hi,
dh and i have a holiday party at the home of the president of his company, where dh has been employed since april. dh says president probably mid 50''s. i have met noone from the organization yet, so i know nothing about this couple. what is an appropriate gift to take? (i do not want to take wine) any creative ideas? silly that sometimes these little life details cause us stress. it''s a huge organization and i don''t want to look like the "beverly hillbillies" walking in
emsmilep.gif
. thanks so much!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 9:39:12 AM
Author:snowflakeluvr
hi,
dh and i have a holiday party at the home of the president of his company, where dh has been employed since april. dh says president probably mid 50''s. i have met noone from the organization yet, so i know nothing about this couple. what is an appropriate gift to take? (i do not want to take wine) any creative ideas? silly that sometimes these little life details cause us stress. it''s a huge organization and i don''t want to look like the ''beverly hillbillies'' walking in
emsmilep.gif
. thanks so much!
lol! I know the feeling!

Ok, first, how much are you wanting to spend?

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe some nice chocolates or fancy flowers?

Of course there''s always the fresh bread or dessert from a local bakery option.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Since these aren''t personal friends or even people that you know well, I would suggest staying away from "home baked" goodies since people can be finicky, or have allergies, or just don''t like to eat things made in other peoples homes...

Two of my personal favorites are....

A lovely holiday candle since they are easily used and festive--Yankee Candle puts together really fantastic gift sets this time of year.

Or

You could go could get a lovely treat to be enjoyed privately or shared by all from Harry & David.

http://www.harryanddavid.com/gifts/store/home___

http://www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/ycbvp/retail.jsp

The truth is, people open their homes in the spirit of celebration and anything you do will be genuinely appreciated. The best gift to give is always something that you yourself would love to receive.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 10:37:16 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Since these aren''t personal friends or even people that you know well, I would suggest staying away from ''home baked'' goodies since people can be finicky, or have allergies, or just don''t like to eat things made in other peoples homes...

Two of my personal favorites are....

A lovely holiday candle since they are easily used and festive--Yankee Candle puts together really fantastic gift sets this time of year.

Or

You could go could get a lovely treat to be enjoyed privately or shared by all from Harry & David.

http://www.harryanddavid.com/gifts/store/home___

http://www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/ycbvp/retail.jsp

The truth is, people open their homes in the spirit of celebration and anything you do will be genuinely appreciated. The best gift to give is always something that you yourself would love to receive.
Italiahaircolor''s Harry & David suggestion is great!

If you''re looking for another yummy treat idea, I''ve used Cheryl & Co (http://www.cherylandco.com/?rfr=2005100399) a number of times for sympathy, get well, thank you, etc. gifts and have received rave reviews. They have delicious cookies... and they always have a few good deals available.

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
thanks for your thoughts, the party is tomorrow night so ordering is out...we moved here just in august and i am unsure if there is a harry and david locally(tho i am soooo familiar with moose munch thanks to pg #5!!!) i thought of a candle, hmmm, i guess candy is always good, though ordinary...keep the suggestions coming. thank you!!!
ps possible to drop 2 sizes in 24 hours? ha ha but that''s another issue

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this great chocolate shop in the town where I work. The chocolate is soooooo amazingly good, that I still cannot get over that this place exists in this small, unnoteable town. Anyway, I was just there yesterday, and I ordered a cookie tray for my vet''s office. The tray is huge -- they take cookies (choc chip, oreo, raisin oatmeal) and pretzels and waffle crisps, etc. and dip them in chocolate. They also have tons of stuff like this in the case, so they''d be able to make up a tray quickly I think.

Something like this, that is local and superdelicious would be a nice idea, but it sounds like you may not be aware of such a place in your area, yet. Maybe you can try to find a cute local place on the internet?

Hmmm . . . I will keep thinking.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
a house plant is always nice and chocolates. I loved it when people gave me a nice potted plant (not a plant where I had to go out and find a pot).

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I like houseplants, too--Trader Joes usually has pretty orchids for not very much. Or what about a poinsettia since it is Christmastime?

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
If you know that they celebrate Christmas, why not a really beautiful ornament for the tree?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
What about a lovely ornament? Simple, seasonal. You could get something really beautiful, like blown glass.

I love it when family or friends gifts us oraments.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
What about a poinsettia? I don''t think you can ever have too many of them this time of year!

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
a new friend and soon-to-be neighbor is quite the world traveler has hubby is a mover and shaker and she said no ornament..i am guessing they are not jewish as the invite has christmas-y theme. i think an ornament is a nice idea too but since friend poo-pooed it i didn''t know??? ya know???? :)
maybe i''ll drink before we get there...
2.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
If it''s definitely Christmas themed, you could bring them a fun CD of holiday music (I bought a Regis Phillban (sp?) cd that went over well), or instrumental music that could be played in the background.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love to give one or two of Williams-Sonoma''s flavored dipping oils.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I second the poinsettia - that''s my hostess gift of choice during the holiday season. Go to a florist, find a small one in a really chic pot, and you''re golden.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 2:17:16 PM
Author: Elmorton
I second the poinsettia - that''s my hostess gift of choice during the holiday season. Go to a florist, find a small one in a really chic pot, and you''re golden.

Just one thing to consider, cats are allergic to poinsettias. I always get them from people and have to throw them away.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results