shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Gift You''ve Purchased This Holiday Season

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
What do you think the best gift you''ve purchased this holiday season? who is it for? and why is it the best?

The best gift I''ve purchased, aside from the ornament for our family competition, is a book and tape combo for my 2 year old nephew. It''s called Fire Truck and the words in the book are the lyrics to the song on the tape. I discovered it while working in a preschool last summer and liked it so much I can''t forget about it, which is saying quite a bit as I heard a ton of these things over the summer. The song is just so catchy and cute, and I found it for $4.99 to boot! I can''t wait to give it to him as he loves looking at books, especially those with trucks in them, his favorite word is "truck," and I want to hear the song myself I like it so much (it''s a lil'' bit rock''n''roll).

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I am so excited to give MH the X Box 360 that he has been wanting for awhile, but never got himself (that's how he is, never thinks of spending $$ on himself at all). Anyway, he has no idea that I got it for him...I know he is going to be so happy, and I cant wait to see the look on his face when he gets it!! Like I said, he has no idea and wouldnt ever think that I would get this video game system for him...LOL...its going to be priceless!!!
36.gif
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I was really excited to give my parents a new digital camera tonight (we''re celebrating Christmas today because I fly back to the UK on Tuesday to spend the holidays with my boyfriend)--their old camera was from 2001!! I did a fair amount of research to get them the best camera for the money, got them extra batteries and a 2 gig memory card, and my mother''s first comment when she opened it was "WHAT DID YOU DO?!!?!" It was pretty fun.
9.gif

I''m also excited about the present I got for my boyfriend--bought him a GPS navigation system for the car. It''s really half a present for me too, because it''ll make it easier for him to drive down to visit me at school, AND it''ll make spur-of-the-moment trips much more likely to happen now that he doesn''t have to worry about how to get places!
36.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I are on a budget this Christmas (and decided not to swap gifts with each other), but I think we did pretty well with other members of our family.

I think the *best* gift, which is small and just one part of their gift, was what I ordered for my in-laws. They have a rescue greyhound that's getting old (she's 11, I think) and I had a man from another board I frequent make a custom wood christmas ornament of her from a picture I sent him. It's about 3' tall and made from several different kinds of wood. I think they'll love it, especially since DH's mother loves Christmas ornaments. I had one made of our pug, too.
9.gif

I also found an awesome book that was just released in October about the original Godfather screenplay, with a bunch of little-known information to give to my father, who is a huge Godfather fan. I think I did pretty well with that one, too.

(I'm the Christmas shopper, if you couldn't tell. DH hates shopping, unless it's for electronics.
3.gif
)

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2007 9:16:59 PM
Author: gwendolyn

I'm also excited about the present I got for my boyfriend--bought him a GPS navigation system for the car. It's really half a present for me too, because it'll make it easier for him to drive down to visit me at school, AND it'll make spur-of-the-moment trips much more likely to happen now that he doesn't have to worry about how to get places!
36.gif

If you're anything like me (read: somewhat directionally challenged), you will LOVE your GPS. We bought one when we moved, and I swear, it's the best $300 we've ever spent. Gone are the days of paper maps and needing someone to read the directions out loud, and if you miss an exit or get lost? It'll get you right back on track with a new route. I love ours.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
An electric blanket for my Elizabeth who worked for our family and raised me. She doesn''t have heat, so got her a heater until the furnace can be fixed. The electric blanket arrived at her house the other day, and she was sooooo thrilled. It doesn''t get better than that. Actually hearing the joy in her voice was my gift.
12.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a digital picture frame for my parents. The reason it is the best is because my parents don't use a computer so I took all the lovely the pictures of my nephew and family pics and uploaded all of pics for them so they can enjoy them! I am so excited because I think they will love it; anything that makes my dear parents happy makes me super happy!

ETA: Kaleigh, that is so sweet.

I love reading this thread!

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is a bit strange. Let''s see. FI comes home every day from work with soaking wet feet and never complains. His boots never dry so the next morning, on go the wet boots again.

So I bought him this electric boot dryer thing from Cabela''s. Boy I hope he likes it
17.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2007 9:43:35 PM
Author: ang3199
Mine is a bit strange. Let''s see. FI comes home every day from work with soaking wet feet and never complains. His boots never dry so the next morning, on go the wet boots again.

So I bought him this electric boot dryer thing from Cabela''s. Boy I hope he likes it
17.gif
I''m sure he''ll love it. Very thoughtful.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I bought FI tickets to see Michael Bublé. He is a huge fan - tickets went on sale a few weeks ago so it was perfect timing. Only problem is that the show is in June! I was so worried that I was gonig to miss out on getting the tickets because I didn''t have a Plan B.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing, everyone!

Kayleigh/Lisa, you brought tears to my eyes; wow Christmas makes me sentimental.

EBree, we went to Chicago (an annual tradition, it''s where we became engaged and our favorite city) but we''re skipping traditional gifts this year. We decided a new matress for our bed was more important. So I get it, that was my point. And the ornament sounds lovely!

SDL, that''s a great gift!

Skippy, I''m loving the DPF idea. How fun for you computer challenged parents!

Ang, so not strange, just plain sweet and thoughtful.

Sparkster, don''t worry, he''ll love the gift, I''m sure! And the anticipation will be so much fun for both of you!

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2007 10:25:09 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Thanks for sharing, everyone!

Kayleigh/Lisa, you brought tears to my eyes; wow Christmas makes me sentimental.

EBree, we went to Chicago (an annual tradition, it''s where we became engaged and our favorite city) but we''re skipping traditional gifts this year. We decided a new matress for our bed was more important. So I get it, that was my point. And the ornament sounds lovely!

SDL, that''s a great gift!

Skippy, I''m loving the DPF idea. How fun for you computer challenged parents!

Ang, so not strange, just plain sweet and thoughtful.

Sparkster, don''t worry, he''ll love the gift, I''m sure! And the anticipation will be so much fun for both of you!
Thanks KimberlyH. I like to joke and call FI a big girl because of how much he loves Michael Bublé. I saw the full page ads for his concert in a weekend paper and knew straight away that they would make the perfect present. But I had to pull those pages out of the paper so FI wouldn''t see it and buy the tickets himself.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
havent done any shopping yet,,,,, have 8 days left!!!!!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
strm, you still have time. I only started 2 days ago!

I love all the gifts I''m getting for my family!

I guess the most interesting gift so far is a gift certificate (I know...maybe not so interesting to some people?) to The Lobster Place at Chelsea Market for my brother. My family is full of seafood fiends, and my brother just bought one of those super deep turkey frier things so that he can boil massive quanities of lobster on his terrace. He likes going to the Lobster Place to buy lobsters, so I thought this would encourage him to do so more often!!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I bought immediate family members mother-of-pearl frames for our wedding photos. Everyone gets a picture too.

I feel the biggest gift this year has been to have my mother. I haven''t posted in a while, but in September my mother had unexpected open heart surgery. She''s young (60ish), but was on the brink of a massive fatal heart attack. I am sooo grateful that she paid attention to the tightness in her chest and went to see the doctor. To have her alive is the best gift!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say WELCOME BACK to StarryEyed - good to see you!!
35.gif

Thank goodness your Mom is ok and is doing so well.
emrose.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 3:59:09 AM
Author: Lorelei
35.gif

emrose.gif
A BIG ditto! starry, you''ve been missed!
1.gif

Ebree, I love the ornament you had made, they will surely treasure that.

And ang, GREAT gift for hubby!

All the presents sound wonderful!

My best is actually a stocking stuffer for my 3 boys. I am certain THEY won''t like this gift near as much as I like knowing they have it. It''s a small compact kit, that contains things to help them get out of a car, should they get trapped in it and/or the seatbelt. Scissors to clip belt, metal thing to punch/break the window, alarm, and I forget what else. This is probably the only time in my life I have bought a present that I hope never gets used!

Love this thread Kim!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hum, i think my best gift this season was a 37" lcd. i didn''t set out to buy it, but i couldn''t pass up the deal. i got it HALF off. and i surprised dh with it last night. we had a 32" so that one will go in the bedroom (yayee!) and now the new one is in the living room. we had intended to buy a larger tv, but just not right now. dh was stunned and super excited, even more so after i told him how much i paid for it.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
The best gift I bought is for my hubby. He works so hard for our family and NEVER buys anything for himself. Anyway, we were at a jewelry store picking up my new wedding band and while we were waiting around for a little bit, he looked at the watches and said he would love to have a nice watch one day. Well, little does he know that I ordered him the same watch he was looking at online. He will be so surprised because we never really go all out for each other for Christmas anymore, we mainly just put it all towards our 3 year old son, but he deserves it and I know he will love it and wear it a long, long time.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 3:59:09 AM
35.gif

emrose.gif
Thritto!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2007 8:23:56 AM
Author: steph72276
The best gift I bought is for my hubby. He works so hard for our family and NEVER buys anything for himself. Anyway, we were at a jewelry store picking up my new wedding band and while we were waiting around for a little bit, he looked at the watches and said he would love to have a nice watch one day. Well, little does he know that I ordered him the same watch he was looking at online. He will be so surprised because we never really go all out for each other for Christmas anymore, we mainly just put it all towards our 3 year old son, but he deserves it and I know he will love it and wear it a long, long time.
Steph, that sounds wonderful and I can''t wait to hear of his reaction when he opens his gift!!! I wish my Hubby liked things like that. But with sweet DiamondFan''s help, I have bought my Husband a gorgeous pen as one of his gifts - hope he likes it!!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo - I like this thread.

I have two favorite gifts that I''ve purchased this Christmas Season.

1) I bought my dad a really awesome ice cream maker....ha! My dad LOVES ice cream...and I had no idea that ice cream makers with the ice and salt were a thing of the past! This sucker will crank out fresh frozen ice cream in less than 30 minutes! He''s going to love it! I also bought him a Ben and Jerry''s homemade ice cream cookbook. It has the Cherry''s Garcia recipe....he''ll be in heaven.

2) I bought FI a fireproof safe. He''s a kid at heart and will just LOVE this gift. He''s one of those boys that just loves these types of "toys"....He will be so excited when he sees it.....I just can''t wait to give it to him!!!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My best gift is for my mother-in-law--age 86. I managed to get boxes of old family photos out of her house. I sorted & scanned the pictures and created a Photo Book at Shutterfly of pictures of her late husband who past away 5 years ago. The book turned out fantastic...the photos cleaned up & look better than the originals. She will definitely love it. We got a 2nd copy for my husband''s sister as well.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lorelei, Ellen and KimberlyH!
35.gif

So great to hear from you! Sorry to be MIA - this has been a crazy few months.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
What a fun topic! I am most excited about giving my Dad a set of Pure Komachi knives. They are a great price ($20 a piece!), ULTRA-sharp, and idiot proof. You see, my parents have one of those block sets of 20 knives that must have cost them $20 total. When I have to cook at their house, I can''t cut anything! Slicing potatoes takes forever and it''s dangerous. My mom doesn''t want my Dad to have sharp knives because he cut himself with a kitchen knife like 20 years ago. So now they have one sharp BREAD knife that they try to cut everything with.

The new knives are perfect for them. They are color coated and have pictures on the handle of what you should use each knife for. Pictures of meat items on the meat knife, pictures of vegetables on the santoku knife, etc. And they keep their razor sharpness for a long time. They are sold out all over the internet right now, and I finally tracked some down at a Sharper Image store. He is going to love them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2007 9:32:12 AM
Author: starryeyed
Hi Lorelei, Ellen and KimberlyH!
35.gif

So great to hear from you! Sorry to be MIA - this has been a crazy few months.
We totally understand, it is so good to have you back!
runaround1.gif
cheerleader1.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 9:41:33 AM
runaround1.gif
cheerleader1.gif
What cute little smiley''s!

Thanks Lorelei and SanDiegoLady! I couldn''t stay away for long - I love you guys!
16.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
runaround1.gif
cheerleader1.gif

Great to see you Starry!!!!! Glad your mom is okay; what a scare.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2007 10:02:03 AM
Author: starryeyed

runaround1.gif
cheerleader1.gif
What cute little smiley's!

Thanks Lorelei and SanDiegoLady! I couldn't stay away for long - I love you guys!
16.gif
Hehehe! Ellen, Skippers, plus some other contributers have a whole 12 page thread devoted to them! We scout around and post cute ones in the thread, then Skippers takes over and puts them on one page for ease of use!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-the-emoticons-on-your-computer-move.65641/page-12

Sorry for the threadjack Kimmie!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results