shape
carat
color
clarity

Best eye-candy coffee table/collector books on colored stones/jewelry?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

Would love to add to my book collection on colored stone jewelry.

I currently have the “My Love Affair With Jewelry” book by Elizabeth Taylor and love it because it has full page colored photographs and the text is fairly light reading.

Not looking for any scholarly publications (Ringsrud), just eye candy + light reading. Preferably on interesting pieces owned by famous people.

Any recommendations?

PS: I looked into “Ruby” and “Emerald” by Joanna Hardy but the latter is out of print and selling for upwards of $500. If anyone knows where I can find a copy for under $500, let me know!

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
Yavorskyy has published books on gemstones (link). Although they are more about the stones and their origins rather than jewelry, the photos seem really nice and informative. I imagine these can be good coffee table books.

Another one that comes to mind is Understanding Jewellery by Sotheby's. There are several editions but all feature exquisite pieces.

Enjoy!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@SparklePolo Thank you! Those spinels are breathtaking. I feel like my non-PS friends won’t know much about spinels so this is a good book to leave out on the mantle as a conversation starter!

@MRBXXXFVVS1 Thanks, the Smithsonian publications are always lavish and detailed!

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I have Elizabeth Taylors my love affair with jewellery. So it isn't only about jewellery but she did have some incredible pieces. I wonder what happened to her collection

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pennyc Most of her jewelry was auctioned off and I’ve seen them now on other celebrities.

For instance, actress Jessica Chastain now wears Elizabeth Taylor’s Bulgari piece:

D113E85D-E67B-4002-8060-FC4F318E2EEF.jpeg

64994BAA-6992-4EB4-8EA7-5AB7DFDF7104.jpeg
The auction catalogs were gorgeous! Bulgari bought back that piece from the auction and Jessica Chastain borrowed it.

Van Cleef I think bought back her emerald necklace.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Oh to just own one piece of her collection.

Or even a catalogue by the sounds of it

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Jewel: A celebration of earth treasures 2016. Gorgeous book with a velvet cover and chock full of colour photos. :mrgreen2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh to just own one piece of her collection.

Or even a catalogue by the sounds of it

I remember when her items were being auctioned by Christie's. I was watching the auction and the only thing that was affordable was a 14k yellow gold safety pin. Estimated at $100-$200. When the bidding was up to $800, I stopped watching.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Niffler75 @dk168 @Lexililac @Nick_G Many, many thanks to you all for the book recommendations!!!

@T L Yes, I remember reading somewhere that Jessica was super nervous to wear that Bulgari necklace that night at the awards ceremony. I also heard the famous Cartier ruby necklace given to Liz by Mike Todd was bought back also by Cartier. Having had Liz wear their pieces I’m sure increased the value even more!

Here’s the ruby necklace:
1590453229416.jpeg

@stracci2000 I know what you mean! Gosh, I would settle for a tiny single pearl from even of her many impeccable pearl strands! Or maybe a bunch of us PS folks could have gone in together on one item and timeshared it after LOL

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a nice coffee table book: The Edward Arthur Metzger Gem Collection
It’s put out by Cornell University. Elise Skalwold

There is also “The Secrets of the Gem Trade” by Richard Wise

Attachments

• 89A8D955-9957-4E79-9EEF-62C0E5827102.jpeg
    89A8D955-9957-4E79-9EEF-62C0E5827102.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 28FD66FA-D83D-40EF-A757-116A79DDA73A.jpeg
    28FD66FA-D83D-40EF-A757-116A79DDA73A.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 23

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@PrecisionGem Thank you as always for taking the time to write, and to take the helpful photographs. I really love the opal on the cover of the first book! They look like beautiful volumes that would be a treat to read during COVID.

Thanks again!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niffler75 @dk168 @Lexililac @Nick_G Many, many thanks to you all for the book recommendations!!!

@T L Yes, I remember reading somewhere that Jessica was super nervous to wear that Bulgari necklace that night at the awards ceremony. I also heard the famous Cartier ruby necklace given to Liz by Mike Todd was bought back also by Cartier. Having had Liz wear their pieces I’m sure increased the value even more!

Here’s the ruby necklace:
1590453229416.jpeg

@stracci2000 I know what you mean! Gosh, I would settle for a tiny single pearl from even of her many impeccable pearl strands! Or maybe a bunch of us PS folks could have gone in together on one item and timeshared it after LOL

The Le Peregrina Pearl went to an anonymous private collector, and had a five day exhibition in 2018, but that’s it. It belongs in a museum.

I’m glad at least some of her other beautiful pieces are on display.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a nice coffee table book: The Edward Arthur Metzger Gem Collection
It’s put out by Cornell University. Elise Skalwold

There is also “The Secrets of the Gem Trade” by Richard Wise

Just to be clear, both photos are the same book. I figured a lot of people here don't have Elise's book, so I wanted to give a peek inside of a typical page. I would think many people here already have Richards book.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results