shape
carat
color
clarity

Best cutter for the less experienced?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Ok I have tried my best to educate myself, but am obviously missing something. I dont mean this as criticism! Many of you have unknowingly helped me a lot through your past posts and replies. I think maybe the best course is to go to a trusted cutter and tell him exactly what I am looking for and then let him cut it from his stock. All I seem to be able to do is to find stones too cheap to be true, or too expensive to afford, and I know there is a middle ground as so many of you seem to have found it with your stones and or ring projects. Who is the consensus best guy for a fairly uneducated person to deal with? You guys have done very well at guiding me away from the B&M stores with their grossly overpriced and inferior stuff, so please help me out once more.

I have looked at websites for the following guys, but dont know who to pick. And I am sure you know many I have not run into in searching old threads.

Richard Homer
Jeff White
Daniel Stair
Gary Braun

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends on what you are looking for. Richard Homer is brilliant in my opinion, especially when it comes to concave cuts. Concaves are usually a love it or hate it kind of thing--I love them and have a pink square concave cut in my engagement ring.

Jeff White does beautiful work also and his asscher cuts are to die for. Lost Sapphire''s new beauty is also a Jeff White masterpiece.

I think that Freke has some Barry Bridgestock (sp?) and Dan Stair stones and is very pleased with them.

So, basically, it really depends on what you are looking for. Maybe some more info and we could give you better guidance?

Lupinbunny

Rough_Rock
It may be a question of who has what stones available (depending on how quickly you want it!)
Why not e-mail a few people with what you''re after (stone, size, rough indication of colour) and your budget, and see who is able to help you out? It might be that your decision is made for you.

Aside, Richard Homer is extremely friendly and helpful with explaining things and answering questions.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
Dan and Barry! I have three Dan stones (two spinels and one amethyst) and two Barry stones (1 topaz, and a tourmaline) and they are all amazing. They have very very different cutting styles though. Barry cuts his stones in a more chunky fashion while Dan''s are more spiky, but not like Richard''s concave cuts.

I''ve also been in contact with Richard Homer and Peter Torraca, and they are both amazingly easy to talk to, and wonderful to work with.

After my experiences with my engagement ring stone, I would recommend you email as many cutters as you can, and see who finds what you want the fastest.

Peter''s site (under construction)

GemRite

Rough_Rock
Every faceter will have different stock and sources for their materials. So may have quit a bit of stock and others carry very little. I generally keep a decent amount of stock, since i sale rough to a few cutters as well as cut. I did sell a large parcel of spinels about 6-8 months ago and regret it in light of the recent interest in spinels. There will be more to come along, just have to be patient. Ask around, if the stone is common as tourmaline or garnet then should be an easy find, but if you are looking for something a little more rare may take some hunting. Good luck with your search, there are many good faceters that have been named above. Like Freke knows it just takes some patience.
1.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Gemrite does have Gorgeously stones. Do take a look there.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Damn! I knew I had forgotten a cutter! I kept thinking to myself, "Oh it''s just CWMNBN, don''t worry about it." but I was all uneasy about it, and now I know why! John B. of GemRite has some gorgeous stones on his site as well, and he is incredibly nice.

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
As others have, id recommend Peter.

Ive been conversing with him this morning and have set a stone in the works. He knows what hes doing and can offer up ideas or opinions, if needed. He was wonderful to converse with and i cant wait to see what it turned out like. Id say write him and see if he might have what your interested in.. Never hurts, right?

Good luck in your search!
35.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m all about Jeff, but I am a little biased as my avatar clearly shows
20.gif
He answered all my questions and I didn''t feel silly even asking the ones that should have been obvious. But Richard, Barry and GemRite all do the same - they are extremely helpful even if you know nothing except what color you want. I''d email all of them and see which of them has what you have in mind, already in stock
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would put my feelers out to all the cutters. Some can get the material at better prices than others, depending upon what their contacts have at that time.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Tropicmaster

I cannot recommend highly enough Peter Torraca www.torraca.net I have bought two stones from him so far, which I am delighted with. However, his special talent is dealing with me - customer from hell I suspect. I have a very specific project in mind and he has been incredibly helpful and patient with me, as I consider stone after stone - all of which are beautiful and skillfully cut, just not quite the right colour. He has patiently educated me in the world of gemology, which frankly is like rocket scientist to a humble gardener.

I have also bought a stone from Brad Payne aka The Gem Trader www.gemtrader.com. Again, a very positive experience and lovely stone.

You also might want to look at the "off the dop" thread in the Lapidary Corner of gemologyonline.com. Many of the cutters recommended here post their work there. You get a real good feel for whose work is respected amongst their own industry.

Good Luck.

But be careful, you will be on a path to addiction before you know it!

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Thank You Thank You Thank You !!! I have e mailed a couple of the people you have recommended, and have already heard back from 2 of them. I feel like I will be in good hands from here on. You guys collectively, are the bomb!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results