shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Crown/Pavilion combinations??

Happytobemrsg

Shiny_Rock
I have been learning as much as I can from PS & I know the preference for a firey stone is:

Table % 54-57
Depth% 60-62

What what are the best crown / pavilion angle combinations once I find a diamond which fit the Table/Depth requirements above? This is where I'm currently struggling.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been learning as much as I can from PS & I know the preference for a firey stone is:

Table % 54-57
Depth% 60-62

What what are the best crown / pavilion angle combinations once I find a diamond which fit the Table/Depth requirements above? This is where I'm currently struggling.
IMO, Somewhere close to these specs...
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/5.392-h-vs1-round-diamond-bfg-785563

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/2.432-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104101164015

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sure there are combinations that are definitely better than others. There is an ideal range where my best may not be your best. Some people can also prefer stones outside the ideal range.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recommended crown angle 34-35 and pavilion angle 40.6 - 40.9.

As has been mentioned, there are preferred combos from different individuals - particularly depending on whether you are looking for more brightness or more fire.

Have you been able to look at any particular combos in stones?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine...me and @Dancing Fire have similar preferences

54-55 table
34.5/40.7-40.8
As close to 75 LGF as reasonable (fat arrows)

But many work. More generically:

54-57 table
60-62.4 depth
34-35 crown
40.6-40.9 pavilion
75-80 LGF

You want to make sure the crown and pavilion compliment each other. 35/40.6 or 34/40.9.

Post options and we can detail better.

Happytobemrsg

Shiny_Rock
Mine...me and @Dancing Fire have similar preferences

54-55 table
34.5/40.7-40.8
As close to 75 LGF as reasonable (fat arrows)

But many work. More generically:

54-57 table
60-62.4 depth
34-35 crown
40.6-40.9 pavilion
75-80 LGF

You want to make sure the crown and pavilion compliment each other. 35/40.6 or 34/40.9.

Post options and we can detail better.

Here are the specs of a diamond I liked the look of IMG_1432.PNG

Happytobemrsg

Shiny_Rock
Recommended crown angle 34-35 and pavilion angle 40.6 - 40.9.

As has been mentioned, there are preferred combos from different individuals - particularly depending on whether you are looking for more brightness or more fire.

Have you been able to look at any particular combos in stones?

I'm looking for more fire/rainbows. It's for a small pendant so I want it to make up for its size in sparkle! I've posted above the specs of a diamond I liked the look of.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI if it's an ACA you don't need to worry about much (other than minor differences in personal preference), because they are already super ideal.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The HCA tool effectively filters out those stones with complementary Crown and Pavilion angles, so anything under a score of 2 will have angles that 'work properly' (in terms of maximising light return and reducing leakage and obstruction) but there are different flavours of angles within the range, as detailed above (AIUI!) :))

Happytobemrsg

Shiny_Rock
The HCA tool effectively filters out those stones with complementary Crown and Pavilion angles, so anything under a score of 2 will have angles that 'work properly' (in terms of maximising light return and reducing leakage and obstruction) but there are different flavours of angles within the range, as detailed above (AIUI!) :))

Oh I see! Now I understand the calculator a little better. On the calculator it has "best for pendants" being nearer to "0" & "best for rings" between "1" & "2". The diamond I'm currently searching for is for a pendant- does that mean I actually need a score of less than 1?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have ACA studs, and many others do here, too! The ACAs are great for rings, pendants, and earrings because of their great light return!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree. All ACA's will perform very nicely, so that aspect is rather risk free.

Also the HCA tool is for GIA stones only. It utilizes the crown, pavilion, table and depth to approximate light return. While useful as an elimination tool, it lacks the sophistication of the 3D modeling that AGS uses to determine light performance, and as a result can create a computer generated ASET (found on bottom of AGS certs). In the case of ACA's, the light performance of the stone is further verified by actual ASET and idealscope images.

All that said, the HCA is useless for AGS certified stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results