shape
carat
color
clarity

Best color metal for lavender/periwinkle sapphire...

Hello all,

I had been looking for a very particular shade of lavender blue (periwinkle) for some time. I started with spinel, but no matter who I bought from or how much I spent, there was always some degree of gray in daylight. I started to think that it was just the nature of the beast. So I switched to sapphire, in the hopes I could find a purer saturation, but still pastel in tone. My goodness, is that a tricky balance to achieve! I think it may be easier to find in more of a pink-leaning lavender or wisteria shade. But with a light-toned predominantly blue stone, I found it to be nearly impossible. To make a very long story short(er), I have finally found one with which I'm really happy. No discernable gray under skylight or indoors.

Here's what I was after... we have a Pantone swatch, my very favorite shade of nail polish (lol), and some lovely blossoms. I think the vendor pretty much nailed it (no pun intended :roll:). The stone is a 3ct. radiant and untreated (but I think all violet sapphires are unheated, correct?). I had badly wanted a round... no such luck. Anyway, now I'm having a difficult time deciding on a white or rose mounting? I'm leaning towards white, but had originally planned for rose. Again, if the stone were a bit warmer, I think it would have worked better in rose. What do you guys think? :)

Capture7814800.JPG

9cb2aa9b-3385-4692-90cf-3f81cbcca45d_1.e64d4ff0a18e5a7e6e7ed5d673a73a83.jpeg

f22ac4ae0a0470e86d20e61927dbbfd7.jpg

Capture214bqh124533.jpg

Last edited:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Really beautiful sapphire!! Do you have a rose gold chain? Platinum and white gold chains? When I'm assure of what color setting I want to use I coil a narrow chain into a little "nest" around the stone and see what makes it look best.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not automatically presume lavender / violet to be unheated. I think it is possible to have this in rose. Like the others suggested, place the stone next to rose, PT and white gold to see which you prefer.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends. Rose and yellow will bring out more of the blue/violet shade, and white will make it look more icy and greyish. You can put it on a shiny new copper US penny to see, or aluminum foil.

As someone who loves rose gold with blues and violets, I’m a bit biased, but many others love white metal with all gems.

This thread might help your decision.

Thanks everyone for the replies! And I appreciate the link, @T L. I did put the gem in tweezers and place it over all 3 colored bands on my fingers. I ruled out yellow rather quickly (even though it should be the winner, since yellow is the complimentary color of violet). But I'm stuck on rose or white. The rose looks very modern and rich next to the periwinkle, but the warmth of it almost seems to clash. The white does nothing to enhance the stone, but the icy look of it together with the cool lavender and diamonds would be pretty... sort of celestial. What to do, what to do. :think:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal preference when seeing the photos of the stone is white metal.

DK :))

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I’m partial to yellow gold because that’s all I wear but I honestly think any color will look nice. I would think about what color metal you prefer to wear in general.

It’s not periwinkle but here is my lavender sapphire in yellow gold and I love it. I like the warmth of the metal and the diamonds add some coolness. I think rose gold would look just as nice but more contrasting. E69DE90F-3981-444E-9310-C74856F92C76.jpeg

I’m partial to yellow gold because that’s all I wear but I honestly think any color will look nice. I would think about what color metal you prefer to wear in general.

It’s not periwinkle but here is my lavender sapphire in yellow gold and I love it. I like the warmth of the metal and the diamonds add some coolness. I think rose gold would look just as nice but more contrasting. E69DE90F-3981-444E-9310-C74856F92C76.jpeg

Oh yes, I've admired her before! I think because mine leans more blue, the yellow just isn't working. But it looks splendid with your lavender. I am warming up to the rose for this stone though. I would have never paired tsavorites and demantoids with rose before either, but @T L made me fall in love with the look!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
White gold!!
What a lovely lovely gem.

Hello all,

I had been looking for a very particular shade of lavender blue (periwinkle) for some time. I started with spinel, but no matter who I bought from or how much I spent, there was always some degree of gray in daylight. I started to think that it was just the nature of the beast. So I switched to sapphire, in the hopes I could find a purer saturation, but still pastel in tone. My goodness, is that a tricky balance to achieve! I think it may be easier to find in more of a pink-leaning lavender or wisteria shade. But with a light-toned predominantly blue stone, I found it to be nearly impossible. To make a very long story short(er), I have finally found one with which I'm really happy. No discernable gray under skylight or indoors.

Here's what I was after... we have a Pantone swatch, my very favorite shade of nail polish (lol), and some lovely blossoms. I think the vendor pretty much nailed it (no pun intended :roll:). The stone is a 3ct. radiant and untreated (but I think all violet sapphires are unheated, correct?). I had badly wanted a round... no such luck. Anyway, now I'm having a difficult time deciding on a white or rose mounting? I'm leaning towards white, but had originally planned for rose. Again, if the stone were a bit warmer, I think it would have worked better in rose. What do you guys think? :)

Capture7814800.JPG

9cb2aa9b-3385-4692-90cf-3f81cbcca45d_1.e64d4ff0a18e5a7e6e7ed5d673a73a83.jpeg

f22ac4ae0a0470e86d20e61927dbbfd7.jpg

Capture214bqh124533.jpg

Ooo I'm thinking something like this:

Screenshot_20220525-103812_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220525-103825_Chrome.jpg

Ooooooo where on earth did you find this rendering, my friend?! Too funny... it looks nearly identical to my stone!! I love the hexagonal diamonds. I'm actually thinking a halo for this guy, but this really helps me envision the hue set in rose gold. Thank you!!
hi501.gif

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I happen to like yellow and rose so my bias leans hard. :lol: White metals just don't do it for me with some few exceptions. Unplated white gold is one of them. It has a soft tone aspect that's really interesting. DK has that antiquey peach gold that I think looks fabulous as well.
* I'm also another mad for matte fan!

Thanks again, @AnastasiaBeaverhausen!!

@ItsMainelyYou Peach gold is a new concept for me! I'm guessing they just play with the gold/silver/copper alloy ratio of rose gold. I've never actually seen it in person. Interesting!

image-asset.jpeg

I figured now is as good a time as any to ask about your profile pic. I've been dying to know the story behind it! Cracks me up!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

@ItsMainelyYou Peach gold is a new concept for me! I'm guessing they just play with the gold/silver/copper alloy ratio of rose gold. I've never actually seen it in person. Interesting!

image-asset.jpeg

I figured now is as good a time as any to ask about your profile pic. I've been dying to know the story behind it! Cracks me up!!
I want something in peach gold so badly. One day I'm doing it, you know, once I shake enough couch cushions.
I call her Spirit Baby and I found her on the internet! She is perfection. She encompasses everything. A perfect response to the world. She and I are twin souls, blah, blah, blah.
Also, my family pointed out I make that exact face, apparently. Often. :lol:

I want something in peach gold so badly. One day I'm doing it, you know, once I shake enough couch cushions.
I call her Spirit Baby and I found her on the internet! She is perfection. She encompasses everything. A perfect response to the world. She and I are twin souls, blah, blah, blah.
Also, my family pointed out I make that exact face, apparently. Often. :lol:

lol! I'll admit I was sort of hoping it was a family member who famously ruined the annual xmas card. Every year, without fail, my brother would goad me into doing just that. And I was always happy to oblige him.
cleader.gif

What a beauty! :kiss2: I love that blue-purple color and it is indeed a difficult one to find.

I vote rose gold. That slight contrast just makes them pop, in my opinion.

94AB5784-E4C5-48B3-96F0-90B197D3E7B0.jpeg
CA7222EE-6702-4B09-AE9A-DB2D74097D63.jpeg

I think I am convinced, my friend! This is originally what I wanted, but then I thought maybe my stone was too blue leaning, as opposed to more purple. But a few of these examples are super close to my stone in color, and they look fab with the RG!!
taverymuch.gif

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I am convinced, my friend! This is originally what I wanted, but then I thought maybe my stone was too blue leaning, as opposed to more purple. But a few of these examples are super close to my stone in color, and they look fab with the RG!!
taverymuch.gif

Nothing sells it like a picture...:mrgreen:

Though, I went out to dinner last week and the ”dessert menu” was an actual tray of desserts brought to the table. Now that was a real salesman. :drool: :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

image-asset.jpeg

That peach is so pretty
and your new stone is such a lovelly colour
like wisteria on my phone

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results