shape
carat
color
clarity

BEST/CHEAPEST setting for stand-in ering?

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
I've just gotten engaged with an AVR set in the Destiny 2 setting by Steven Kirsch. We are planning to create a second ring with a non-diamond center to wear as a stand in for occasions when I don't want to wear the AVR. With the understanding that we want to keep the second ring as low-cost as possible, we currently have 2 decisions to make:

1.) Do we go with a setting that has a pave shank to get the look as close as possible to the real e-ring, or do we go with something simpler like the Jovyn from CVB for an entirely different, more casual look?

2.) If we decide to go pave, which vendors carry GOOD, cost-effective, 4-prong, pave-shank settings AND will set the customer's stone into them?

I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone who'd like to offer suggestions, and am particularly interested to hear from people who have their own stand-in rings about their experiences with them.

Thanks in advance!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cheap are we talking? Are you saying you're going to get a synthetic diamond or does non diamond mean colored gemstone? Would you wear a second hand ring?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vote for casual look. Jovyn is a beauty !

Thinking: this would not only be more casual - in a very nice way, but hardy too.

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
How cheap are we talking? Are you saying you're going to get a synthetic diamond or does non diamond mean colored gemstone? Would you wear a second hand ring?

Hi Niel! It's my understanding that certain things can't be discussed on this board. Let's say I'm going with a white topaz (or something like that) that will look like my original ring at a glance or from far away.

As for a second-hand ring, that's not an option, as we are already set on the stone for the stand-in ring.

As for cost, the stone will be ~$1,300. We will go with the setting we like best, but would love to keep that cost down to ~1,500-2,000. I think that range includes some of the simpler cast pave-shank settings and the Jovyn.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Jovyn is a gorgeous setting, so that definitely gets my vote!

However, of you do want to go with pavè and recreate something close to your actual e-ring, then you might want to contact IDJ. They can various affordable, yet well made, settings.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are getting the centre I think you might, i just noticed there's currently a discount on setting them with CVB. Have a look at the August Vintage instagram's most recent AVC post

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
If you are getting the centre I think you might, i just noticed there's currently a discount on setting them with CVB. Have a look at the August Vintage instagram's most recent AVC post

Oh, I know! The Jovyn is not listed as one of the options to get a discount, but I'm holding out hope that the list is just incomplete! Oh, and also - their most recent IG post is actually a repost of my ering!

I have been lusting after this ring ever since it was posted! The MAIN problem is the center is one of the 8.8mm stones, and that's just far too large on my size 3.75 finger! I truly love that whimsical chevron setting, but it looks so different from the standard ring that I think it would attract attention rather than blend in, which is what I'm going for with the stand-in ring. :/ I love that she's snapping up these stones and putting them into create settings, though. What a great opportunity to experiment and get creative!:love:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, I know! The Jovyn is not listed as one of the options to get a discount, but I'm holding out hope that the list is just incomplete! Oh, and also - their most recent IG post is actually a repost of my ering!

I suggest reaching out to Jonathan... I had wondered if Caysie's Gemma setting was included and he added it onto the list right away. =)2

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
I suggest reaching out to Jonathan... I had wondered if Caysie's Gemma setting was included and he added it onto the list right away. =)2

I THOUGHT the Gemma was a late addition - that explains it!

I'll definitely reach out to him - but I want to decide if the Jovyn is the right way to go before I do that.

I'm excited to reach out to IDJ regarding a cast pave piece (thnx Simone!) - does anyone else have pave suggestions/advice?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I did wonder if it was actually. Thought it looked familiar :lol-2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size stone do you have now and what size stone do you want for ring #2? (Merely curious)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this for safety reasons? Like for travel?

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Is this for safety reasons? Like for travel?
Not really... I mean, a ring that looks like it costs a lot is just as dangerous to wear in any given situation as a ring that's actually expensive.

It's more so to wear in situations where I don't want to risk hurting or losing my ering. It's insured, but that doesn't mean I want to risk severely damaging or losing it while out camping or hiking, or swimming. We camp and/or hike most weekends during the summer and fall. And I know rings tend to be lost on vacations, when you aren't in your normal surroundings with your normal routine. And I'd rather not go ring-less in all those situations.

Does that answer impact your advice?

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see any coloured stone being able to hold up to the activities you have planned in mind (hiking, camping, and swimming), therefore, I have no idea what sort of gemstone replacement could possibly stand in for your diamond.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider buying a fun preloved Tiffany or van Cleef ring.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dazzlerazzle I completely understand where you are from. I went with an even cheaper stand-in ring as I have already been through the journey of losing an e-ring due to taking it off! My husband and I also go hiking and are fairly active and I know that activities like that can destroy pretty rings. My suggestion would be that you avoid pavè in that case, or get a cheaper pavè setting that can be easily replaced. For example, IDJ had this one a few months ago for around $700, if I recall correctly:
IMG_6234.jpg
But even better may be to get a simple solitaire and I would get it in 14kt WG/Palladium mix, not plat. I think the Jovyn would look fantastic.
Also, if you are anything like me, I want to feel like I am wearing actual rings vs a plastic band, so I would never entertain one of those rubber rings. But I am sure that they are great for other people!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a platinum 2mm comfort band or nothing in those situations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results