shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Bang For Buck Natural Diamond Comparison

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I have been scouring the internet trying to quantify what good means in a diamond. I have already revised my top list many times. Here are my top contenders of similar price range.

My primary constraints are >= 2.5 carats followed by cut. Ideally under $35k (which I feel is stretching it, but I'm no expert)

Both Triple X & Receive HCA scores of 1.3 & cost around $32K

Diamond 2 is larger a worse color, more inclusions and has strong Blue Florescence (Which I have read can improve the color of lower color diamonds, but again is Larger). Also appears to have a slight haze? Not sure if this camera or diamond related.

Which would you choose and why (Neither is an option too! Granted it was quite a challenge for a newbie to find the tolerances that are allegedly ok)

Very much appreciate the feedback!

Diamond 1:
1711738278758.png
1711738311146.png

Diamond 2:
1711738346260.png
1711738382257.png

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size are you looking for and what's your budget? I don't love either of them

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
The constraints are >= 2.5 carats and ideally under $35k (which I feel is stretching it, but I'm no expert)

Both of these are about $32k

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better cut quality for the price:

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
Great suggestions and thank you for taking the time to find a few select diamonds!

Out of curiosity (These being the branded) versions WF / BG. Does the fact the JamesAllen stones are not "TrueHearts" brand disqualify them?

Or is there another way(s) you a quantifying the difference been excellent and less than?

I only ask because the diamond proportions on paper appear quite similar for example the BG & Diamond 2 from my original post

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great suggestions and thank you for taking the time to find a few select diamonds!

Out of curiosity (These being the branded) versions WF / BG. Does the fact the JamesAllen stones are not "TrueHearts" brand disqualify them?

Or is there another way(s) you a quantifying the difference been excellent and less than?

I only ask because the diamond proportions on paper appear quite similar for example the BG & Diamond 2 from my original post

Unfortunately due to how GIA rounds numbers, proportions alone aren't enough to go by. Neither of the ones you posted have the same cut precision as the ones I posted. They just aren't in the same league. The ones I posted are cut to exact standards and are "in house".

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
Thanks lovedogs! I am strongly leaning towards the briangavin stone, very beautiful imo.

Any qualms with color of the diamond? Seems like H is about the best attainable for my budget & size constraints.

Do you feel the drop in color is made up for by the cut of the BG stone?

The setting will be in 18k gold

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks lovedogs! I am strongly leaning towards the briangavin stone, very beautiful imo.

Any qualms with color of the diamond? Seems like H is about the best attainable for my budget & size constraints.

Do you feel the drop in color is made up for by the cut of the BG stone?

The setting will be in 18k gold

I don't think H will be an issue for most people, algoufh everyone's color sensitivity is different. I think it's 100% worth the drop in color to get a better cut. The ones you posted from JA aren't great, and I didn't see alternatives from them in your budget/size range.

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
I don't think H will be an issue for most people, algoufh everyone's color sensitivity is different. I think it's 100% worth the drop in color to get a better cut. The ones you posted from JA aren't great, and I didn't see alternatives from them in your budget/size range.

Thanks my friend I ended up pulling the trigger on your BG recommendation:

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Hi @NeedForSpeed great call on that BG stone. The vendors recommended most often here are an easy button if they have what you want available. Agree that it was worth the drop in color for a beter cut stone. The I color will be such a great performer and I color is a great value in a super ideal cut stone such as the one you selected. Congrats on your selection, and all the best to you.

Last edited:

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
and if you really aren't happy with the I the return is really easy.

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
Hi @NeedForSpeed great call on that BG stone. The vendors recommended most often here are an easy button if they have what you want available. Agree that it was worth the drop in color for a beter cut stone. The I color will be such a great performer and I color is a great value in a super ideal cut stone such as the one you selected. Congrats on your selection, and all the best to you.

Thank you Old_Fossil! I've been looking for a few weeks and painstakingly went through JA's "ideal" cut diamonds. The two that I listed had the tightest proportions I could find relative to the "super ideal" range, and to me were much more pleasing to the eye than many of JA's similarly priced triple excellent (even as compared to more expensive ones too). The number of quality diamonds >= 2.5 carats seems to be quite limited. Ona another note trying to obtain an IdealScope image is challenging to say the least and JA flat out would not provide any ASET imagery making it quite difficult to even have an apples to apples comparison to the BGD / Whiteflash diamonds.

I Min/Maxed/Averaged a sample of 44 distinct JA TrueHearts Diamonds ranging 1.02-3.63 Carats. My observations are the following ranges:
TableCrownPavilondepth
Min
55​
34​
40.6​
61.2​
Max
57​
35.5​
41​
62.4​
Average
56.41​
34.89​
40.75​
61.83​
As far as the I color in the diamond I purchased, that feels like a bit a question mark, but my budget simply won't allow for perfection in every aspect and seems like a reasonable compromise. (Hopefully my GF agrees!) LOL

I tried giving the I an unscientific "eyeball" test in the middle of H & G color Signature BG diamonds: To me it feels like a bit of splitting hairs and I may be biased since I already purchased the middle diamond but I would argue it's hue might even be less yellow that the H. Could this be from the "slight" fluorescence in the diamond?

1711834715602.png

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
and if you really aren't happy with the I the return is really easy.

Hello cmsmarks! Do you have experience making returns to BGD? Unfortunately for me I am planning on proposing in Europe and the vacation will most likely push me out of the 15 day return period.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Thank you Old_Fossil! I've been looking for a few weeks and painstakingly went through JA's "ideal" cut diamonds. The two that I listed had the tightest proportions I could find relative to the "super ideal" range, and to me were much more pleasing to the eye than many of JA's similarly priced triple excellent (even as compared to more expensive ones too). The number of quality diamonds >= 2.5 carats seems to be quite limited. Ona another note trying to obtain an IdealScope image is challenging to say the least and JA flat out would not provide any ASET imagery making it quite difficult to even have an apples to apples comparison to the BGD / Whiteflash diamonds.

I Min/Maxed/Averaged a sample of 44 distinct JA TrueHearts Diamonds ranging 1.02-3.63 Carats. My observations are the following ranges:
TableCrownPavilondepth
Min
55​
34​
40.6​
61.2​
Max
57​
35.5​
41​
62.4​
Average
56.41​
34.89​
40.75​
61.83​
As far as the I color in the diamond I purchased, that feels like a bit a question mark, but my budget simply won't allow for perfection in every aspect and seems like a reasonable compromise. (Hopefully my GF agrees!) LOL

I tried giving the I an unscientific "eyeball" test in the middle of H & G color Signature BG diamonds: To me it feels like a bit of splitting hairs and I may be biased since I already purchased the middle diamond but I would argue it's hue might even be less yellow that the H. Could this be from the "slight" fluorescence in the diamond?

1711834715602.png

I am in your shoes as we speak @NeedForSpeed, as I combed the usual suspect vendors collections far and wide for months to finally find the stone I wanted. It is a 3.8 H VVS1, which to your point, are harder to find . My stone is 35/40.8/57/62.1, which are just outside your averages. Link is here if you care to look. The ring upgrade with that stone should arrive in around 2 weeks. The JA business model is one that can reveal some great values for those who know what to look for. Some stones on there I would never consider but others are true winners. The great PSers here can help people navigate that search, but often steer toward vendors that offer super ideal cut stones in various shapes - sometimes at a premium, sometimes competitively priced.

Finding a well cut >3.0 ct stone is more challenging simply due to rarity. If you search the WF and BG site right now, they have no super ideal cut stones > 3 carat above I color. Clarity is important to us for the mind clean aspect, and color is where we compromised. I think I would optimally prefer a G, but the price difference was prohibitive. However, I recently purchased some 3 ctw ACA studs in I color, and I am completely reassured now with the H color I selected with what I am self-identifying as a super ideal cut stone with the 3.8 H (cut proportions are good, Idealscope images are good, pics/videos are good). The I color ACA studs face up much whiter than I thought I color studs would, and am really happy I pulled the trigger on those. Judging color by pictures are more difficult I find on WF and BG because their backgrounds are black. JA has the neutral backgrounds which I find more helpful for color, more similar to how GIA assigns color grades, but even then it is a crapshoot due to varying lighting techniques, angles, etc. It is only a ballpark estimation. Have to see it in person to make a final judgment.

GIA color grading, although not a deep science yet, is fairly consistent, so your I color stone with a BG cut I would bet a significant sum will be spectacular. In my opinion, fluorescence is your friend in most cases. I have attached the most recent GIA study on fluoresence, and as a PhD nerd, I read it from start to finish. Very compelling data on fluorescence, and I embrace it vs. the general marketplace who steer clear. Very cool phenomenon that I am already shopping for in the next stone. BG even has his own Blue series of fluorescent stones which I think is a brilliant marketing move. Most can't perceive the presence of fluor or not, so don't fear the blue reaper.

Attachments

• GIA Study on Fluor.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
I am in your shoes as we speak @NeedForSpeed, as I combed the usual suspect vendors collections far and wide for months to finally find the stone I wanted. It is a 3.8 H VVS1, which to your point, are harder to find . My stone is 35/40.8/57/62.1, which are just outside your averages. Link is here if you care to look. The ring upgrade with that stone should arrive in around 2 weeks. The JA business model is one that can reveal some great values for those who know what to look for. Some stones on there I would never consider but others are true winners. The great PSers here can help people navigate that search, but often steer toward vendors that offer super ideal cut stones in various shapes - sometimes at a premium, sometimes competitively priced.

Finding a well cut >3.0 ct stone is more challenging simply due to rarity. If you search the WF and BG site right now, they have no super ideal cut stones > 3 carat above I color. Clarity is important to us for the mind clean aspect, and color is where we compromised. I think I would optimally prefer a G, but the price difference was prohibitive. However, I recently purchased some 3 ctw ACA studs in I color, and I am completely reassured now with the H color I selected with what I am self-identifying as a super ideal cut stone with the 3.8 H (cut proportions are good, Idealscope images are good, pics/videos are good). The I color ACA studs face up much whiter than I thought I color studs would, and am really happy I pulled the trigger on those. Judging color by pictures are more difficult I find on WF and BG because their backgrounds are black. JA has the neutral backgrounds which I find more helpful for color, more similar to how GIA assigns color grades, but even then it is a crapshoot due to varying lighting techniques, angles, etc. It is only a ballpark estimation. Have to see it in person to make a final judgment.

GIA color grading, although not a deep science yet, is fairly consistent, so your I color stone with a BG cut I would bet a significant sum will be spectacular. In my opinion, fluorescence is your friend in most cases. I have attached the most recent GIA study on fluoresence, and as a PhD nerd, I read it from start to finish. Very compelling data on fluorescence, and I embrace it vs. the general marketplace who steer clear. Very cool phenomenon that I am already shopping for in the next stone. BG even has his own Blue series of fluorescent stones which I think is a brilliant marketing move. Most can't perceive the presence of fluor or not, so don't fear the blue reaper.

Congrats on your upgrade! That’s going to look incredible! What an awesome find on JA (I wish I could be so lucky lol)

The JA model is definitely interesting. I am curious to know what prompts them to market some as “TrueHearts” and take the IdealScope images. This leads me to believe some actual or very near TrueHearts might slip through the cracks and land under their “excellent” cut rating.

Fascinating on the fluoresce! I personally think it looks cool and seems like a great potential hack to brighten a lower color diamond!

All the best!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Hello cmsmarks! Do you have experience making returns to BGD? Unfortunately for me I am planning on proposing in Europe and the vacation will most likely push me out of the 15 day return period.

BG is a family run business. Lesly is lovely. If you speak with her on the phone and explain your situation, I’m pretty sure she will accommodate the time period of your engagement plans.

You aren’t abusing the system but merely allowing for necessary time. I had a wonderful experience with them. Congrats on your pick!

jjca

Rough_Rock
BG is a family run business. Lesly is lovely. If you speak with her on the phone and explain your situation, I’m pretty sure she will accommodate the time period of your engagement plans.

You aren’t abusing the system but merely allowing for necessary time. I had a wonderful experience with them. Congrats on your pick!

I recently had a great experience with Lesley, too! She is fantastic to work with.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you go hunting for tint you might see it, but unless you are from a culture/family where people scrutinize diamonds for body tint then I think you will be just fine. To my eye, an I color is very white!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results