shape
carat
color
clarity

Best bang for buck- 1k for a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strat32

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Musician here, looking for a ring for around 1k. I''ve gotten familiar with Whiteflash and Blue Nile from this site, and I''m wondering, for my budget (700 for the diamond/300 for a modest setting), should I go for the biggest carat size (around .40) I can afford, or the best cut? Blue Nile has, for example, a .43 very good cut F VS2. Is F overkill here? Would I be better served going to a G or H, and eye clean SI1? I know it''s all subjective, but where should I put the emphasis on? Bigger stone? Best cut?
Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

p.s. this would be a princess cut

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Well first of all, what does your intended like? Do you think she would prefer a larger stone or a better stone? If she''s about size and less about clarity/color, then you can definitly go down to an SI1 or an eye-clean SI2.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would get the best cut G/H SI diamond, probably not from Blue Nile as they do not provide pictures or other information. I''ll go hunt for some examples...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it is all subjective, and it depends greatly upon the preferences of the person you''re buying for.

If it were me, I''d maximize cut quality, then shoot for a G-I (no higher) color, and VS2-SI1 (no higher) clarity.

Food for thought: personally, I place more importance on the setting in stones that are under probably .8ct or so. Those larger stones can stand alone quite well, but in .3-.7 I really like to see them put into more interesting settings. For my taste that often ends up being antiquey settings with visual interest around the center stone, and I love bezels for that size range as well. Have you thought about the setting? Because that will impact your budget, for sure.

I think it can often be a mistake (not always, because it certainly depends on taste, but often) to go with a standard solitaire setting for a stone in that size range. I would personally rather have a .3ct stone in a unique setting that integrates and flatters the stone well, than a .4ct stone in a standard solitaire.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ok, I couldn''t find any G/H''s but I found this 0.507 I from Whiteflash that looks gorgeous. You also get a 5% PS member discount if you pay by wire transfer and they have a 10% off their settings right now!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Musey has a good point...what about
this setting?

ETA: Never mind, with above diamond that brings you in at approx $1250

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 3:38:06 PM
Author: musey

Food for thought: personally, I place more importance on the setting in stones that are under probably .8ct or so. Those larger stones can stand alone quite well, but in .3-.7 I really like to see them put into more interesting settings. For my taste that often ends up being antiquey settings with visual interest around the center stone, and I love bezels for that size range as well. Have you thought about the setting? Because that will impact your budget, for sure.

DITTO!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I agree that smaller stones make more of a statement in a more ornate setting, but the cost of the setting is not applicable for upgrade, so that cost would be a loss.

I would try this ACA in a simple solitaire. That way you can upgrade the ACA whenever and lose less in the setting

The other alternative is to do an estate piece like this one or this one and to a completely new ring in the future.

ETA: .43 H SI1 for $700 with ps discount and a simple solitaire.

ETAA: These three rings are $1000 or under, and 20% off until 12/23 (go to the sundance.com to confirm) and not a classical e-ring, but are very cool. Pear bypass rose cut bypass two stone teensy eternity band.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ok, I did a PS search and found this listed at $501 from Whiteflash. It appears to have their "Expert Selection" rating and they could provide pictures if you have them call it in.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 3:50:26 PM
Author: mercoledi
I agree that smaller stones make more of a statement in a more ornate setting, but the cost of the setting is not applicable for upgrade, so that cost would be a loss.

I would try this ACA in a simple solitaire. That way you can upgrade the ACA whenever and lose less in the setting
That's if you're planning to upgrade. The OP didn't state that he was, so I was answering as though it's a "forever ring," since most in the real world (off-PS) are. He's also looking for a princess, not a round. On that note... I think cut is even more important in a princess, since that cut can look dead unless it's done well.

Strat, here's a little compilation I threw together for you, just to show the difference a setting can make (all princess cuts). You'll notice that the last three are the same size, too.

princesssettingcomparison.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Good point. Nice visual musey!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would skip over the VS2 that you found at Blue Nile and focus on an SI1 or an eye-clean SI2 and focus on size and/or color and/or setting. I'm a very practical girl, and if I can't see the inclusions myself, that's all that matters to me. I'd rather a larger stone or higher color or nicer setting, something that's actually perceivable.

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
If a round brilliant is the shape of the stone you''re after, get an Ideal/Excellent cut stone, drop in color to H or I and get an eye-clean SI1 or SI2 to maximize the size of the stone. There are definitely eye-clean SI2 stones in the .50 carat size range that will maximize size for your budget. There''s no need IMHO for F VS2 in that carat size.

Best of luck.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2008 3:28:12 PM
Author:strat32
Hi all,

Musician here, looking for a ring for around 1k. I've gotten familiar with Whiteflash and Blue Nile from this site, and I'm wondering, for my budget (700 for the diamond/300 for a modest setting), should I go for the biggest carat size (around .40) I can afford, or the best cut? Blue Nile has, for example, a .43 very good cut F VS2. Is F overkill here? Would I be better served going to a G or H, and eye clean SI1? I know it's all subjective, but where should I put the emphasis on? Bigger stone? Best cut?
Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

p.s. this would be a princess cut
Welcome,

Bear in mind that vendor applied labels such as Very Good cut etc are no guarantee of a well cut stone. So it is important to concentrate on cut quality so you have a pretty diamond, and with Princess you really need detailed photographs and images such as ASET in order to find a well cut diamond. IMO you could get SI1 or SI2 clarity ( GIA or AGS) and G or H colour certainly in order to get the most bang for the buck.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Do you know she wants a princess?

If I were trying to buy an engagement ring for $1000, I would look for an antique at jewelry shows, flea markets, pawn shops, ebay, rubylane.com. And I would consider colored stones as well as diamonds. But you would have to know that your lady was okay with getting a ring with a past, you would need enough time and luck to find something that worked, and you would have to have a very, very clear idea of your lady''s tastes in jewelry. And you would need to be very confident about the seller, and you would need to be able to recognize whether you''d gotten something genuine.

So, on the whole, maybe that''s not such good advice after all.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
If you are on an extremely tight budget, but want to be engaged with a ring right now, what about looking at jewelry auctions or estate sales. I just went to a place here in Woodland Hills, CA that had some great estate jewelry. You just have to get educated on what to look for first. Used rings are cheaper and the settings are usually very unique. You could get an antique setting with a smaller stone that would look very interesting. Probably more interesting than a .30 in a simple solitaire setting.

Not everyone can afford an "Ideal" cut stone at the time of their engagement, or ever, so just pick one out one that looks good to you. If you decide you want more later, then do it when you are in a better financial place. Your girl may decide she doesn't want to change her engagement ring, ever, so get her something that doesn't look like simply a filler till the real ring comes along. I love older settings, they have a certain charm and elegance!

I have a "less than Ideal" stone, but to me it is perfect!

(I must have posted at the same time as above, we both suggested used rings) If authenticity is an issue, have it appraised.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 4:24:46 PM
Author: glitterata
If I were trying to buy an engagement ring for $1000, I would look for an antique at jewelry shows, flea markets, pawn shops, ebay, rubylane.com. And I would consider colored stones as well as diamonds.
Me too!!

Not that ebay is the best or even a good place to get such things, but I saw a 1.2ct OEC platinum ring go for $800 last week. It was GORGEOUS!

Hearts-arrows_girl, do you mind sharing the name of the place you went to in Woodland Hills?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2008 4:31:16 PM
Author: hearts-arrows_girl
If you are on an extremely tight budget, but want to be engaged with a ring right now, what about looking at jewelry auctions or estate sales. I just went to a place here in Woodland Hills, CA that had some great estate jewelry. You just have to get educated on what to look for first. Used rings are cheaper and the settings are usually very unique. You could get an antique setting with a smaller stone that would look very interesting. Probably more interesting than a .30 in a simple solitaire setting.

Not everyone can afford an ''Ideal'' cut stone at the time of their engagement, or ever, so just pick one out one that looks good to you. If you decide you want more later, then do it when you are in a better financial place. Your girl may decide she doesn''t want to change her engagement ring, ever, so get her something that doesn''t look like simply a filler till the real ring comes along. I love older settings, they have a certain charm and elegance!

I have a ''less than Ideal'' stone, but to me it is perfect!

(I must have posted at the same time as above, we both suggested used rings) If authenticity is an issue, have it appraised.
You can still find a great cut if you are amenable to having lower colour and clarity, that way you have a good looking rock for the money! Also there are diamonds out there which aren''t cut to superstrict standards and are still great looking diamonds, so that can be an option.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hearts-arrows_girl, do you mind sharing the name of the place you went to in Woodland Hills?
The place is called Superior Galleries
20011 Ventura Blvd.
Woodland Hills, CA

There are many other places too, this is just one that I browsed through.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

I''ve been to a few, but they''re so hit-or-miss that it''s nice to get a recommendation every now and then
1.gif

strat32

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the insightful and thoughtful replies -especially Musey for the visuals! My gf is pretty flexible about the parameters, but she is pretty set on the princess cut. I will look into the suggestions, and consider a more interesting setting as well...

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
AGS is the best cert for a princess cut....with your budget i would shop exceldiamonds.com

I found this well in your budget....you could ask for pictures, ASET and Idealscope

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Musey, that is a great visual. Thank you. I''ve always been firmly in the camp of buy the largest centre stone you can afford and simple setting until recently. The setting really does make an impact!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
One of my favorite looks for this size range of stone is one where it is set into a band where the width of the band is around the same width as the stone.

Anchor31 I think did a thread about her FSIL''s e-ring and I thought that that ring looked really gorgeous on the hand. I loved it.

Also if I remember correctly doesn''t the Tiffany Etoile have a similar type feel with the way the stone is set into the band? I am not in any way suggesting an actual Tiffany just throwing out different styles that look good with that size stone.

I really love a stone of the size you are looking at. They are very wearable and look great on the hand.

The antique option that others already mentioned would also make for a lovely ring as well. Oh yeah and welcome to PS

35.gif
and congrats!

Mrs.2Artists

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results