shape
carat
color
clarity

Best 2.0 ct Round Diamond $12K could buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iameuro

Rough_Rock

Hi All,

My first post on here.. GREAT SITE !

I am in the market to purchase a diamond for an engagement ring and I''m obviously trying to get the best for my money.

I want a 2.0ct Round Diamond ( don’t want to go lower than 1.9ct ) with good cut and no eye visible inclusions. My budget is around $12K....

Can some of you knowledgeable folks on this website suggest what kind of stone can I aim for ?

I was thinking I don’t want to go below SI2 and nothing lower than color I..

My lady''s preference is the size over quality of the stone, but I''d like to get a decent quality as well.

Thank you all !!!!
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2009 3:01:53 PM
Author:iameuro

Hi All,

My first post on here.. GREAT SITE !

I am in the market to purchase a diamond for an engagement ring and I'm obviously trying to get the best for my money.

I want a 2.0ct Round Diamond ( don’t want to go lower than 1.9ct ) with good cut and no eye visible inclusions. My budget is around $12K....

Can some of you knowledgeable folks on this website suggest what kind of stone can I aim for ?

I was thinking I don’t want to go below SI2 and nothing lower than color I..

My lady's preference is the size over quality of the stone, but I'd like to get a decent quality as well.

Thank you all !!!!
33.gif
Welcome!

I had a quick look and found this one, check it is eyeclean to your standards though and that the fluorescence doesn't make the diamond look cloudy, it will be a challenge to find that size for the budget but this one might fit the bill.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1107217.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that stone has been hanging around awhile, waiting for someone wanting a 2 ct with a low budget.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow- that stone looks very nice- and the price is fantasitc!
Great find guys!

I agree- you would not go wrong with that lovely diamond if JA confirms that it''s eye clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2009 3:17:49 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Wow- that stone looks very nice- and the price is fantasitc!
Great find guys!

I agree- you would not go wrong with that lovely diamond if JA confirms that it''s eye clean.
Thanks David, I had to laugh to see both of us posted it!

iameuro

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for a quick reply, but I am not sure about that stone...
maybe its the way the picture was taken, but it looks as if there are numerous cracks on the sides of the diamond.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s really not possible to give a 100% answer to that question without being able to see the diamond in person- but based on the photo I doubt that what you''re seeing are "cracks"

To me, this looks like a great SI2- enough imperfection to lower the price, but it''s not concentrated in one area, meaning it might be eye clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2009 3:33:42 PM
It's really not possible to give a 100% answer to that question without being able to see the diamond in person- but based on the photo I doubt that what you're seeing are 'cracks'

To me, this looks like a great SI2- enough imperfection to lower the price, but it's not concentrated in one area, meaning it might be eye clean.
Ditto, and it is unlikely that they are any kind of issue but the best thing to do is to check with the vendor, JA will be honest with you and if it is eyeclean then it could be a great buy. 2cts is a large diamond and unless you are prepared to increase the budget or go smaller then it is not going to be easy to find many diamonds to choose from unfortunately so I would at least inquire about this one before dismissing it. Bear in mind these photos are greatly magnified and the size of the diamond in reality is far removed from the image you see there which is created with showing clients inclusions in mind.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
they aren''t "cracks." There''s stuff. Not cracks.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey there, you will definitely have inclusions in a 2 ct stone that you buy for only $12K, but you should realize that the inclusions that are visible in the web pics that are 40X magnified most likely will be invisible to the naked eye. Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2009 4:04:18 PM
Author: Steel
Hi iameuro,

Welcome to PS!

I would not throw this J out of bed for eating crackers
9.gif
:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1163135.asp

I think the flour makes it works a look.
Neither would I if he would be agreeable to a J colour and could squeeeeeze the budget a bit more
28.gif
....iam, if you like the look of this one, ask JA for the proportions such as the depth, table, angles etc. It looks like a well cut rock - nice find Steely babes!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 4:11:38 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 1/27/2009 4:04:18 PM
Author: Steel
Hi iameuro,

Welcome to PS!

I would not throw this J out of bed for eating crackers
9.gif
:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1163135.asp

I think the flour makes it works a look.
Neither would I if he would be agreeable to a J colour and could squeeeeeze the budget a bit more
28.gif
....iam, if you like the look of this one, ask JA for the proportions such as the depth, table, angles etc. It looks like a well cut rock - nice find Steely babes!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Whoops! I should let information get from my eyes to my brain once in a while huh!!!!!!!!! I was convinced the budget was 13k. God knows why, but I sure was convinced. Perhaps JA could slice a corner off to make it fit into budget? After that, I am out of ideas
26.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2009 4:25:55 PM
Date: 1/27/2009 4:19:17 PM

Author: JulieN

This one is not good.
I ask this with all due respect JulieN- why do you feel that this stone is not good?

Nasty picture. There is yellow and black under the table. Some of the arrows appear white (instead of black.) Large table reflection. I don't need to look at the numbers to know it's deep and leaky.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Maybe because it gets a 5.3 on the HCA?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to adjust something...either the size or the budget, because you''ll be making some kind of a big compormise if you want a 2 carat stone for $12,000. You could get a really nice 1.5-1.6 for that price. But I''m betting those SI2''s under $12,000 are not totally eyeclean from all sides.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/27/2009 4:39:05 PM

Date: 1/27/2009 4:25:55 PM

Date: 1/27/2009 4:19:17 PM

This one is not good.
I ask this with all due respect JulieN- why do you feel that this stone is not good?

Nasty picture. There is yellow and black under the table. Some of the arrows appear white (instead of black.) Large table reflection. I don''t need to look at the numbers to know it''s deep and leaky.
Julie- I write this with all due respect- hopefully you''ll be open to at least hearing a different viewpoint:
I also looked at the photo- and the listing.
My personal preference is for a slightly more shallow stone, with a larger table.
BUT I respectfully disagree that the photo looks bad- nor would I eliminate the diamond for the reasons of light leakage.

Generally speaking ( although I have not seen this particular diamond in person) if a cutter goes below a benchmark, like 2.00 carats ( the stone in question is 1.95cts) they are not going to try and "save weight" which might result in a bad cut.
You will see that happening in some stones that land on the benchmark ( such a s a 2.00carat diamond)
It''s not a guarantee that a 1.95 will be well cut and the 2.00 not well cut...but I''d still consider the 1.95 if it was me......

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
//
Julie- I write this with all due respect- hopefully you'll be open to at least hearing a different viewpoint:

I also looked at the photo- and the listing.

My personal preference is for a slightly more shallow stone, with a larger table.

BUT I respectfully disagree that the photo looks bad- nor would I eliminate the diamond for the reasons of light leakage.

Generally speaking ( although I have not seen this particular diamond in person) if a cutter goes below a benchmark, like 2.00 carats ( the stone in question is 1.95cts) they are not going to try and 'save weight' which might result in a bad cut.

You will see that happening in some stones that land on the benchmark ( such a s a 2.00carat diamond)

It's not a guarantee that a 1.95 will be well cut and the 2.00 not well cut...but I'd still consider the 1.95 if it was me......
//

It's fine to like shallow stones with large tables. But this stone just has a large table, and is not shallow at all?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Julie- as I mentioned, my personal preference would be a 60% table, and 60% depth ( providing all the other aspect such as the Girdle are in line)
Such a stone would not be considered "shallow" or having a large table

Likewise, I do not feel that 59% is considered a "large" table.

Of course this is personal preference- which is why I would not eliminate the 1.95ct.
That stone does have an 8mm spread- so it will appear to many as a 2.00carat diamond in terms of size.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're right that 59% is not a large table.

But if you say that you like larger tables and shallower stones ...and this stone is neither of those, then I am not sure...exactly...what we are talking about. (Other than you don't think the picture is nasty or that it is particularly leaky.)

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 3:42:50 PM

It''s really not possible to give a 100% answer to that question without being able to see the diamond in person- but based on the photo I doubt that what you''re seeing are ''cracks''

To me, this looks like a great SI2- enough imperfection to lower the price, but it''s not concentrated in one area, meaning it might be eye clean.
Ditto, and it is unlikely that they are any kind of issue but the best thing to do is to check with the vendor, JA will be honest with you and if it is eyeclean then it could be a great buy. 2cts is a large diamond and unless you are prepared to increase the budget or go smaller then it is not going to be easy to find many diamonds to choose from unfortunately so I would at least inquire about this one before dismissing it. Bear in mind these photos are greatly magnified and the size of the diamond in reality is far removed from the image you see there which is created with showing clients inclusions in mind.
I second both these comments.

At the end of the day, it is a small (relative) budget that we are dealing with for a large stone. It can be done, but of course there will be some compromise involved. Ideally, the aim is that the size and sparkle still have the wow factor despite the diamonds flaws. My personal experience is that size does help alot in the wow factor.....AND even a diamond with less than perfect cut, and clarity can still hold their own.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Julie: Although the 1.95ct diamond does not fit the picture of "my perfect cut", I still believe that it is very likely a great looking stone in person. Certainly not one to dismiss offhand, IMO.
My belief is based on the photo, proportions, as well as the GIA "EX" Cut grade

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 5:30:24 PM
Author: Sharon101

Date: 1/27/2009 3:42:50 PM

It''s really not possible to give a 100% answer to that question without being able to see the diamond in person- but based on the photo I doubt that what you''re seeing are ''cracks''

I second both these comments.

At the end of the day, it is a small (relative) budget that we are dealing with for a large stone. It can be done, but of course there will be some compromise involved. Ideally, the aim is that the size and sparkle still have the wow factor despite the diamonds flaws. My personal experience is that size does help alot in the wow factor.....AND even a diamond with less than perfect cut, and clarity can still hold their own.
I agree with Sharon - the original poster mentioned that his fiancee is happy to compromise other specs to get a large size, and I know many women with 3-4 ct diamonds with "good" cut whose rings get more attention than my 2 ct ideal H&A simply because they are much bigger. If she is happy with a larger, decent stone that will get a lot of attention, she shouldn''t be forced to have a smaller stone just because the cut is better if that''s not what she wants.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results