shape
carat
color
clarity

Best 1.0c Round Diamond for $5000-$5500

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ropower

Rough_Rock
I am confused!!! What should I do with a $5000 budget to get the best 1.0c round? I am thinking that I should sacrifice on clarity down to about an "H" - but go for SI1 and the best cut possible!?!?

What can I do in my price range? Where will I get the best deal? How can I tell how good the diamond is from the basic diamond specs at "DirtCheap..." or "Whiteflash" without having a proper appraisal done? Are the diamonds available at these places the same quality as would be found at "GoodOldGold"??? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks! Rob
confused.gif

dragonsheart

Rough_Rock
You can get a very nice 1ct diamond ring for under 2 grand.
you should shop around for the best price. try e-bay sometimes jewelry stores are trying to get rid of there stuff and willing to take any amount. that is were I got my 3.4 caret diamond. My husband paid a LOT less than he would have going to a store.
appl.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You should probably start by reading the Tutorial. H is a color rating and SI1 is a clarity rating. If your new to diamonds, it can be hard to keep it all straight.

Get out and look at diamonds locally. Find out what colors, clarity, and shapes appeal to you. Also, try using the Price Scope search engine and search by quality in the color and clarity ranges you are comfortable with. Or you can search by price, using quality as your primary consideration. You will get lists of some very nice diamonds. If you stay just a tad below the 1 carat mark, you won't take the 1 carat premium hit. If you go for a really really well cut diamond, it will have a larger visual appearance.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

In addition to the tutorial here on this website, there is also tons of excellent information at www.goodoldgold.com that will help explain everything about cut, color, and clarity. For $5000 you should be able to find an AMAZING diamond just under one carat.

Oh, also, I wouldn't recommend eBay. Many sellers on there exaggerate the quality of their diamonds and also, most don't give enough details to accurately determine how well the stone is cut. . .for some jewelry, it's not that big of a deal, but if you're looking for a stunning ring, try a reputable vendor rather than risk your money on a stone that may just be so so.

Michelle

burch

Rough_Rock
I am not sure how this forum works I am new-- I am not a business rather a person trying to get rid of an old wedding ring--which I reset to a necklace--and can be changed back easily--
it is 1.02 Carats D in color and the Clarity is SI or SII--
It is beautiful--it appraises at over 11k, and it is jsut time for me to let it go-I am looking to get at least 5k, and this might be the answer to both our problems
[email protected]
if i am not suppose to write that I am sorry

appl.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi again Ro!
wavey.gif

I just did a quick search using the Search by Cut Quality search engine, upper right hand side of the Price Scope homepage. I used G to I color. I got 3 pages of hits and the whole first page is under your budget. They are all AMAZING diamonds, SUPER IDEAL cuts, from very reputable vendors. You might want to check some of those diamonds out. Also look at return/refund policies, buybacks, and lifetime upgrade policies. Find a vendor you are comfortable with.

I don't know if posting a diamond for sale here is a violation or not. The description of this particular diamond is very vague offering no indication of CUT quality and an uncertain clarity rating. The seller would have to submit the diamond to a free standing, fully recognized, independent Price Scope Approved appraiser for complete evaluation before I personally would even consider such a purchase.
2.gif

ropower

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the excellent advice. I have been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks. I pretty much understand all the 4C concepts and other technical information. My major concer is that I will obviously NOT get an 1.0c, H&A, D color, VVS1 clarity, in my price range. Where should I sacrifice? I want the best "eye-clean" diamond. I am thinking about the best cut possible with a SI1 and G-H color - and some blue flourescence to "whiten up" the color. Does my approach make sense?

Thanks Again!

Rob

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'd look for a G-H color, SI 1 if eye clean or I VS 2 with a touch of fluosecence. I'd follow PQ's suggestions too.
1.gif

dragonsheart

Rough_Rock
go to the mall and see one of the jewlery stores, they should be able to help you.. \
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay..do NOT buy from eBay and do NOT go to the mall to buy!!!! or the maul as we call it here. eBay is good if you know what you are doing, but 99% of the sellers on there will sell you something that is mis-graded and/or too deep in the pavilion...which you won't know but will think..oh my diamond looks amazing and we saved money. Don't skimp on important stuff like an e-ring. The maul will basically just take your money and boot you out the door with a crappy mediocre cut stone. Do some window shopping at the maul...just to see what you don't want to get!

Most of us who shopped and bought did alot of research before, as you are doing now. We found that the maul was pretty scary, and that the stones that were shown there were of mediocre cut and expensive cost. We found that eBay is a minefield waiting to happen on unsuspecting e-ring purchasers. That's not to say that an intelligent, educated purchase cannot be made at either eBay or the maul, but it's way more painful and with more wariness in my opinion, than with shopping with a reputable online or offline vendor who you know and trust. Knowing what I have learned in the last 6 months, I can't believe I ever considered the maul when we first thought about rings. Even some offline vendors are scary to me. The online vendors have such a dedication to making things work for the consumer (maybe because of this forum and the press they get if they don't...who knows)...but the customer service I see on here is really impressive across the board on ALL the vendors. You can't get that at half of the offline stores I have visited.

My two cents anyway..from my experience..and from the stones I have seen on eBay. I look on there all the time (I'm on the hunt for a nice little 1c pendant!) and so many of the stones are dogs! You really have to know what you are doing, and even then, the lack of info can kill a purchase.

PQ had some great suggestions. Run the 'cut quality' search on the homepage of Pricescope..

Don't worry about 'sacrificing' color or clarity. There's no such thing when it comes to diamonds and well cut. Sure you may have to restructure your priorities, but I hate to see 'sacrificing' because to go from a D VVS1 to a more well cut G SI1 in my opinion is just smart shopping, not sacrificing. That colorless, almost flawless stone will cost you a pretty penny, and for what? People to see it who have no idea it's colorless and almost flawless? All anyone will see right off is the cut, even if they don't know enough to identify it as that. The cut makes the stone. Period!
1.gif

I ran quick 2 second search using cut quality and found the following three stones. Top priority here is cut, using 1c as second priority for carat weight (if you want to go slightly under 1c you can get around a F color for same money), then color then clarity. Color is more visible to the naked eye than clarity--as long as the stone is eye-clean....thats all that matters! Some of these SI2's look pretty darn good in the pictures you will see. Note also the idealscope image (red/black)--red means light return to your eye, white means leakage, black means scint. ACA stones have EXCELLENT light return, no white. Look also at the Hearts and Arrows images. Great symmetry. Fun.

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=476563

1.01 G SI2 $5100 A Cut Above SuperIdeal H&A (Pscope pricing)

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=476565

1.01 H SI2 $4700 A Cut Above SuperIdeal H&A (Pscope pricing)

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=365064

1.01 H SI1 $5400 A Cut Above SuperIdeal H&A (Pscope pricing)

There are tons of other stones out there along these same lines. www.goodoldgold.com has many stones under 1c. Check out superbcert, niceice, etc etc. The list is huge! DCD diamonds can be good as well, look for their ' very best' quality in a search, but be sure to get crown and pavilion angles for their GIA certed stones.

As you can see there is always info to be shared. Good luck with your search and shop smart!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
A Maul store can help you with all FIVE C's. But in diamond buying, but they really specialize in the FIFTH C,.... COST!!!

Ropower, you can find a really great diamond from any of several Price Scope Vendors. G and H are very good colors for white gold or platinum. In a truely great CUT you can even consider an I color.

I searched F to H color, VS2 to SI1 clarity, and clicked the H&A/AGS0 boxes to get the absolute best CUTS.

White Flash ACA #3916606, .913 ct, G, VS2, Id/Id, $4993

Good Old Gold 1.008 ct, H, SI1, Id/Id, $5268

Both vendors have several others right around 1 carat below the $5500 mark. USACerted and Abazia's have several diamonds listed as well.

Look for Ideal/Ideal in an AGS Cert and Excellent/Excellent in a GIA Cert. Both are considered the "tops" in cut and finish by both grading Labs.
1.gif

dragonsheart

Rough_Rock
I have to agree with them about the mall. It is good to got there if you know what you are doing. Go there to ask questions.
I went there (Zales) to get a wedding set over 2 years ago and my husband paid a good amount for it and we went to have it apprised and they told us it was worth 25.00 dollars. Try BlueNile.com, they might be able to give you some ideas. with a buget of 5 grand I am sure they will be able to help.
naughty.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Personally, I'd only shop through Blue Nile as a last resort. Not to say they don't have nice diamonds, it's just that they're a bit more pricey compared to the majority of other vendors. The only sales advantage they offer, as I see it, is financing.

Michelle

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/8/2003 6:50:58 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

Hi,

Personally, I'd only shop through Blue Nile as a last resort. Not to say they don't have nice diamonds, it's just that they're a bit more pricey compared to the majority of other vendors. The only sales advantage they offer, as I see it, is financing.

Michelle
----------------

Agreed, Michelle! BN sometimes has what a person wants and it isn't available at that particular time elsewhere. BN is also pricey. Like anywhere from $500 to as much as $1200 more for a similar stone that I personally have seen. Great to look for ideas, but see if you can buy elsewhere first.
1.gif

ropower

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice! I am starting to feel like I am educated enough to make this purchase. Any suggestions on the 1.063c., H&A, I, SI1 at Whiteflash ($5120). I am thinking about this one - but am a little concerned about the "I". Will this be a noticable yellow? The certificate seems to show a pretty clean SI1 - am I right on that? Thanks ! Rob

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Rob!

Before I bought from White Flash, I had settled on one diamond in particular. But, Brian Gavin suggested I look at a second one as well. So I did. One was H color, and the other was J color. I was looking at setting in white gold so I compared them to white gold and platinum, on white paper background. The J had only the slightest, barely noticible "body" difference to it in side by side comparison. Not yellow, not brown, just "body". Both had great white light return and flashed the colors of the rainbow.

In blind observation voting, family, friends, and neighbors were split on which they liked best. I am not kidding. Half liked the H, half liked the J, with one vote to flip a coin. It was truly one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. If you had told me that before the diamonds arrived, I would have said you were crazy!

An I color won't be a problem because the CUT is so absolutely fantastic. Check out the Show Me the Ring Pic Folder. There are several H&A I color diamonds there. They look magnificent. That J color ACA was as bright and white as my GF's new 25th Anniv set G color solitaire she had just got.

That particular ACA is vveerrrrry round! Very little variance in the angles, top or bottom, on the Sarin Report, and the inclusion plot looks very clean! You might check with the folks at White Flash about the color, type, and size of the inclusions. They look to be in the center and should not be a factor in brilliance. And, the Price Scope price is $4864.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/8/2003 9:43
6.gif
2 AM ropower wrote:
Thanks for all the excellent advice. I have been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks. I pretty much understand all the 4C concepts and other technical information. My major concer is that I will obviously NOT get an 1.0c, H&A, D color, VVS1 clarity, in my price range. Where should I sacrifice? I want the best "eye-clean" diamond. I am thinking about the best cut possible with a SI1 and G-H color - and some blue flourescence to "whiten up" the color. Does my approach make sense?

Thanks Again!

Rob ----------------
Rob, your approach makes PERFECT sense. You're right on track in my opinion. The G/H color of an excellently cut stone will make it WHITE, WHITE, WHITE....and you should be able to get an eye-clean SI-1 in this range without too much trouble.

There are several stunning stones available in your range. Go to "cut quality", do a search for .88-1.05 carat, F-H color, VS2 to SI-1.....there are about 20 or so stones in the $4800-$5200 range......any of which I'm sure would be excellent choices for you.

Let us know when you narrow it down to a few stones, and perhaps we can help some more!

ropower

Rough_Rock
With a lot of very good advice I am beginning to narrow down my decision...

Does anybody want to comment on this stone?

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=365066#

It is advertised on Pricescope for $5494.

Does this seem like a good price? Do you think I can negotiate a better deal than this? I have asked the company to provide full Sarin info and a magnified pic. Will they comply? What else should I do to verify the quality of the diamond???

Thanks Again! Rob

69gm

Shiny_Rock
one comment i have about going to the mall to ask questions: don't take their word for it all the time. do your own research. one thing i have found is that of all the jewelry stores i've been to while on my quest for my diamond, and that includes someplace that is supposed to be well known, only one place had even of the same knowledge as i had. most places didn't even know stuff i knew...and i'm nowhere near being any sort of expert...just did my own research with the help of this forum.

so just beware. they might try to pull some jedi-mind tricks on you. just make sure you've done your research so you when someone really knows what they're talking about, and when someone is simply blowing smoke up your...
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/9/2003 7:51:41 PM ropower wrote:

With a lot of very good advice I am beginning to narrow down my decision...

Does anybody want to comment on this stone?

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=365066#

It is advertised on Pricescope for $5494.

Does this seem like a good price? Do you think I can negotiate a better deal than this? I have asked the company to provide full Sarin info and a magnified pic. Will they comply? What else should I do to verify the quality of the diamond???

Thanks Again! Rob
----------------

The Sarin info is available from the website. Just click on the Sarin Technologies logo toward the bottom of the page. Variances are small, both top and bottom

Inclusion plot looks good also. Small crystals toward the outer edges. Looks clean for a SI1! Additional clouds are mentioned on the comments, which usually means they weren't worth plotting, but you might ask about that just to be on the safe side.

Looks like another good contender!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That one you posted is probably pretty similar to the one I posted also from WF.

The picture you see of the stone on that page IS a magnified picture of that stone. So you already have the Sarin info as PQ noted, and the mag picture. the IdealScope image is the red/black image and the Hearts and Arrows images are self-explanatory!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results