shape
carat
color
clarity

Besides the Typical 4Cs - How to Evaluate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gearhead

Rough_Rock
Assuming I have GIA and AGS certificate. Is there a local third party service that will "throw" the stone into some miraculous machine and out come the numbers? I''d like to take the numbers and throw them in the HCA calculator.

What machines/tools are readily available to where significant saving on the onset from the secondary market (used / second hand) can actually be REALIZED ?

I’d like to get analysis on:

External Cut
Internal Cut
Symmetry
Proportions

What is the minimum test needed for me to complete my due diligence?

I only ask this question because a close “friend” of the family found out that I was in the market for an E-ring. He is a "self-taught" jeweler and has been in the business approx. 15 years and now owns a storefront. He has offered to find me a stone of the same quality I "happily" stumbles across via this forum? I’m taking the “TRUST, BUT VERIFY” approach here.

gh

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
If you have a GIA & an AGS lab report, then you already have the numbers that you need to punch the diamond into the HCA and get an indication of the potential of the stone. However, if you only have a GIA lab report then you will need to obtain a Sarin or OGI (pronounced O-gee) computerized proportions analysis in order to determine the Crown & Pavilion angle measurements in order to use the HCA.

There is not a machine yet that will grade the other factors for you... However, you can locate an independent appraiser to evaluate the diamond on your behalf via the "appraisers" link at the top of any Price Scope page...

There are some wonderful tutorials to be found here on Price Scope and on the web sites of most of the prominent vendors who advertise here on Price Scope and contribute to the public forum... Read and learn... Read and learn... Take the time to wander through the depths of the forums because we can practically guarantee that ANY question you can think of has already been asked and answered many a time
1.gif

Gearhead

Rough_Rock
That was quick. Thank you very much.

Actually. I've already located a stone and posted the numbers here. The stone received the "blessing" of this forum.

I just wanted to determine if the extra "hassel" was worth the price discount coming from a "close" friend of the family assuming the stone was of equal quality.

I'm not sure I want to go through all the hops, skips and jumps given the time contraints for the stone to be in my pocket by February.

gh

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results