shape
carat
color
clarity

Beryllium-diffused Sapphires. Any gemologists in the house? :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jvLin

Rough_Rock
I found a beautiful sapphire the other day, but it didn''''t come with a lab report. It''''s color is very similar to the following, with fewer violet undertones and less extinction spots:

http://www.palagems.com/Images/sapphire_connoisseurship/burma_sapphire_5.50_ct.jpg

I was told, however, that it might be Beryllium-diffused. The sapphire itself is only .85-ish carats and about $900, so I''''m not sure I want to spend an extra $100 to get it tested for BE. Is there any way that my jeweler can test it himself? Maybe with a microscope?

Thanks in advance!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
If it's beryllium diffused, a jeweler will not be able to detect it--only a lab. (usually red, yellow, and padparadscha(like) color sapphire)

If it's lattice diffused (treatment used on blue sapphire) one may be able to detect it with a microscope. You'd look for color concentrations on the facet junctions. Open the baffle of the microscope, and place a tissue over the well. Look at the sapphire pavillion side up--if it's latticed diffused, you may see color concentrated on the pavillion facets.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 1:40:08 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
In that color I doubt the stone would be BE dffused.
Heat treatment would be likely though, but not essential.
The price seems fair.
What makes you say that? Just curious. BTW, her stone has more blue and the pala gems stone that she is showing here has some purple in it.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
More info at Beryllium-Treated Blue Sapphires.

It's not just $100+ for the report, they'll charge an additional fee to do LIBS testing.

That price is right about where I'd start wanting to spend the money for a report when a treatment is possible / likely.

If you buy an identifiably unheated stone, it won't be diffused with anything
1.gif

Edit - just saw your other thread, looks like you're on top of things now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results