shape
carat
color
clarity

Benitoite?

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone here actually own a Benitoite gem? I have been strangely fascinated by these since I have read about them. From what I have read, they are one of the worlds most rare gems, more then diamonds. They were discovered decades ago in the San Bonito hills of California and no other place on earth has them. Originally thought to be sapphires but turns out they are completely different. The mine I think was closed down so only local rock collectors seem to have specimens. Some are selling them cut as gems.

They have a very unique triangular shape with cut edges but unfortunately they are not being cut like that. The cuts seem forced into Trillion or similar shapes to diamonds. So I was wondering, even if I could find a decent piece in raw state, do you think I could take that to a gem cutter and have him/her cut it to match its natural state? Do gem cutters work with stones they are not familiar with?

http://marinmineral.com/s_present.php?sid=NA413&ret=SEARCH&go=Go

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I believe wsfgems.com or his father used to own the mine he has a bit of cut stones on his site

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I have one :)
1.16ct with AGL brief card
I'm uploading directly from my iPhone, hope it works

_749.jpeg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is stunning!

I have one of Brad's benitoite colour sets. They are only 2mm but I love the colour gradation.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1447302881|3948620 said:

OTL,
That is gorgeous. I have one, but it's a lot grayer than yours. I don't have a picture of it at this moment, but mine reminds me a lot of a violet blue spinel.

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that is beautiful! And you got a cert with it too. Can I ask how would you compare it to other gems like say a sapphire or diamond? Does it refract more light? Does it change color in the sun? Can I ask where you got such a great looking cut stone? Most of the ones I have looked at so far seem like they were done by armature rock collectors.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Soooo pretty OTL. I've often admired the sets Brad offers. :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

OTL said:

:lickout: :loopy: :love:

Craighnt: I'm not sure most lapidaries would work with outside rough, and some might not take the risk faceting something so soft. My suggestion would be to contact some of the trusted lapidaries on our list and see if they'd source some rough and cut it for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results