shape
carat
color
clarity

benchwork in chicagoland area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loomis

Rough_Rock
Greetings list - longtime lurker, first time poster. I''ve learned so much from this forum already! I debated where to put this post, as it''s rather complex, but mods, please move it if it''s more appropriate for another section!

My tale is as follows:

I have a wedding set from my marriage, which ended several years ago. After much thought, I have decided to make a pendant out of the center stone, a .90 ct RB H SI 1. Not sure about the cut, but this is pre-Pricescope, so my best guestimate is...uh...fair?? The setting is an A. Jaffe YG with a 4 prong platinum head.

My hope is for a WG thin bezel on a shorter chain. I"ve considered the "Mickey mouse" style fixed bezel versus a sliding bezel, as I have another YG necklace with a platinum loop where that diamond might look really nice. It''s a smooth snake chain with a small platinum loop on the end. Kinda neat, but I never wear it because it looks naked without a pendant.

Now for the questions -
1. Should I go with a custom vs. stock bezel, and/or who would you use for benchwork in Chicago? Or, should I try for something by Whiteflash or similar? Any thoughts regarding this would be helpful. The thing I like about the fixed bezel is that it won''t "flip around" on the neck (as my mother''s prong set pendant is wont to do...). However, I''d like the flexibility of a removeable pendant.

2. What to do with the setting? It''s really a classic setting, but I have no idea what to do with it. I thought about selling the whole kit and caboodle, but I''d really rather keep the diamond. Is there a market for these things?

Not really sure about budget, but I was considering using a local benchman and trading the ring set towards some of the cost of the work. (Not sure if that''s realistic or not...) I don''t wear much jewelry, but I like classic and simple.
All advice is weclome, and thanks in advance for your thoughts. You have a great forum here!

loomis

Rough_Rock
Bumping...I know this is really complex.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, any local good jeweler can make a bezel pendant for you, and there is no reason to go custom unless you can''t find exactly what you want stock. But stock is CONSIDERABLY less expensive, so I would explore that first.

That being said, the fixed bezels do flip around too just so you know.

As for selling your setting, you could try a local jeweler or ebay if it''s branded. Those are probably your best bets. Good luck!

loomis

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice. Very helpful. I''ll try some in the area.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hey Loomis!

Try giving Steve Quick Jewelers a call - they''re up in Lincoln Park. I know they do custom work, at least for rings, and although I''ve never gotten anything custom from them, they did a superb job with setting a few stones - including a tricky one involving a setting too small for the stone. They seem very knowledgeable, and very professional - worth giving them a call.

good luck!

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I got my engagement ring re-set by Garry at Windy City. They also made my channel set wedding band I think they did a great job... good luck!!

loomis

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies! I appreciate the referrals to the jewelers. When I get this going, I''ll send on pictures! It''s only been, like, 8 years.
1.gif
It''s about time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results