shape
carat
color
clarity

Bell’s palsy

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone want to tell their story? It’s my left side of face, and is rather aggravating. I’m on hella prednisone for it right now, and have another appt in 4 weeks. I can’t close my left eye all the way and my taste buds are affected plus, you know... half a mouth. 2019 has not treated me well physically. It could be worse though

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I feel for you. :(sad
Around ten years ago my SO got Bell's Palsy.

It was no fun at all.
Half his face was paralyzed.

IIRC it's caused by swelling, resulting in pinching of one of the two nerve bundles that each go through one of two tiny openings in the skull.
Those nerve bundles control the muscles on each side of the face.
Even when sleeping he could not close one eye, or that side of his mouth.
Speech was slurred.

Very scary.
I forget what the cure involved, but he got better.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I feel for you. :(sad
Around ten years ago my SO got Bell's Palsy.

It was no fun at all.
Half his face was paralyzed.

IIRC it's caused by swelling, resulting in pinching of one of the two nerve bundles that each go through one of two tiny openings in the skull.
Those nerve bundles control the muscles on each side of the face.
Even when sleeping he could not close one eye, or that side of his mouth.
Speech was slurred.

Very scary.
I forget what the cure involved, but he got better.

I’m glad to hear it got better. My speech isn’t slurred that much but food and drink do fall out of my mouth (nice lol).

I’ll get another brain MRI in 4 weeks if it’s not better. I had a brain MRI about 4 years ago and it ruled out MS, so it’s probably just Bell’s palsy and they want to be sure.

I’m not too worried about it. As I said, and you mentioned, it’s a giant PITA.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry you are dealing with this. I know a couple people who have dealt with it and it was temporary.
I believe it was tied to a viral infection in their cases and they were over the worst of the symptoms within a couple weeks.

Hopefully you will improve quickly and be done with the annoying effects.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending hugs.
it can be a consequence of a viral infection or related to an auto immune condition but for the vast majority of people the symptoms subside and you return to normal within 6 months. For some it can be a little longer and a few have some residual after effects.
most important is your eye that wont close properly. You might need to be using artificial tears and even tape at night to keep it closed. Eyes dry out otherwise.
the steroids help reduce the inflammation and thus the side effects of the nerve paralysis.
hope you are feeling better soon.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had several friends and acquaintances get Bell’s palsy while pregnant (apparently that’s a common time to get it???). It was tough - especially since having something go wrong during pregnancy is always scary - but it got better. So hang in there. Most people recover pretty much fully within several months.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry you are suffering with this. A friend had it last year and was told it’s caused by a virus as @Elizabeth35 mentioned. She was prescribed Acyclovir and Prednisone. She‘s completely fine but scary and difficult to deal with. {{{Dust}}}

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry @whitewave. I hope this doesn’t last long and you are well soon.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh dear @whitew
i hope it clears up soon

i had no idea it was so common
a doctor friend of the family got it years who....but it went away

so hang in there and get better soon

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big hugs - it's a tough condition.

I worked with a woman who got it many years ago, also the left side of her face as a result of a virus, but it cleared up in around 3 months.

I hope it's speedy for you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I am sorry you are going through this and as others have mentioned it will improve with time but it is a pain in the a** and it is scary as you are experiencing it. Keep your eyes moist if you cannot close your eye fully and at night put an ointment in your eye if necessary to keep it moist. Sending you healing vibes and lots of good wishes. Hope it gets better sooner than later and relief is yours.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Am so sorry you are going through this, it is scary when its happening to your own body, no doubt. You have a great attitude. Yes, it could be worse. But it's still awful to be going through, hang in there & I hope the medication helps!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some years ago someone I worked with got it. She was in sales and had to be switched to another job. I recalled that stress can also be a factor. (Stress can indeed kill you so it would figure) Hopefully all goes well as it can last quite a while.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make it a memorable weekend for you and your husband. @whitewave, you take such good care of everyone around you.. You are always there for everyone. Enjoy the heck out of your time in NY. If you decide to go looking at jewelry while your husband is at the conference, please posts pictures!

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Both people I've known were only affected for a short time, although I'm sure it felt much longer for them. In addition to meds, one person used a small electrical device to stimulate the facial muscles. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear you are dealing with this Whiteweave. I hope you recover soon. My mom had it on the left side of her face and it slowly improved and was mostly gone in about 6 months. She had to use eye drops to keep her eye moist. The left side of her face drooped, her speech was slurred and was mostly paralyzed. Sending you mega healing dust.

Marcy

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UGH :(sad I join in the well wishes for a very speedy recovery -- and really hope that the prednisone isn't making you more miserable.

Q

Queenie60

I'm sorry - sending good thought your way. Take care and I wish you well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry @whitewave . A gentleman I used to work with (several years ago) got it. I just thought he had come back from the dentist where they
had numbed one side of his mouth. I cant remember the time frame exactly but it seems like it went away in the 3-4 month time frame.

I hope it turns around for you real soon.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big hugs to you, @whitewave - what a pain in the neck. If it involves pressure on nerves, could physical therapy help?

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A former co-worker of mine developed it right after some dental work. We had company lock-out at the time and she was picketing in the cold weather. The next day she woke up with Bell's Palsy. This was many years ago and at the time the medical staff thought it was a combination of nerve inflammation from the dental work and then being exposed to extreme cold right after. Your husband would be able to tell you if that info is still considered correct. Anyway, she went for acupuncture treatments with her physiotherapist. She said it helped her very much. She had to use eye ointment because she couldn't close her eye.

It is amazing how common this is. Once people start talking about it you keep hearing how often it does occur.

Good luck and I hope this doesn't spoil your fun in New York.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My father had it in his 40's. It went away with no lasting effects. I am sorry to hear you're going through this issue. Speedy recovery!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My FIL had it and like PP’s it took a couple months to abate. Sending you warm vibes for a quick recovery!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, I am tapering steroids this week so we shall see what happens. It’s looking noticeable better and I hope that continues as the steroids wean.

good luck
and enjot your holiday

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave, glad to hear you're doing a little better. Yeah, things could be worse but it's still very disruptive and upsetting and I hope you keep heading in the right direction and are completely recovered soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results