shape
carat
color
clarity

believe it or not the biggest diamond i have seen someone wearing in public is..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not on a woman''s finger, but on an elderly gentlemen in his late 60''s. this was about 20 years ago. i was in this high stake gambling joint, and i over heard this guy ask him what size is your diamond. and he replied by saying, "5.5 ct."
eek.gif
it was a RB mounted on a 4 prong wg ring.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
The largest one I saw was on a woman that could have been Liz Taylor's twin on the DC metro... She was bedecked in diamonds and I gawked at her the whole ride. She got off at my stop, and was picked up by a man driving a convertible classic Mercedes. The license plate? .... 8carat

sparker

Shiny_Rock
I remember as a girl visiting my friend who lived in Oak Park, Michigan. For those from Detroit, you'll know the neighborhood. Well, at the dinner table they were talking about an aunt who had just received an 8 carat diamond. They explained to me how big that was and couldn't believe it. I would love to see one in the flesh.

Suz

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/26/2004 10:05:14 AM sparker wrote:

I would love to see one in the flesh.

----------------

Maybe just ask Whiteflash about their, well, near 8cts ACA
naughty.gif

LINK

sparker

Shiny_Rock
But actually, the largest one I've seen lately is on the hands of the jeweler's wife where my diamond is currently getting mounted. She is a lovely lady and generously lets people try it on
9.gif
. Its a 2.5ct RB I si1 I think she said, absolutely beautifully cut set in a wide heavy setting with diamonds channel set in the band. She wears is well, has nice hands and is nicely manicured. I have terriblely short fingers and terrible fingernails
8.gif
that I'll have to pay attention to now with my new ring.

sparker

Shiny_Rock
By the way, this jewelery store was absolutely extatic that I found a diamond even though I bought it from GOG. This store is a nice family run operation like GOG. They did my wedding band 25 years ago and my princess 10 years ago. They sell beautiful diamonds, the best in town and are so down to earth. They make it easy for people like me. They looked at GOG's diamond and deemed it wonderful! (And a fair price, I might add).

Suz

sparker

Shiny_Rock
You wrote:

<Maybe just ask Whiteflash about their, well, near 8cts ACA

HOLLY MOLLY I wonder what a 8ct. cost in 1967?

sparker

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2004 10:16:45 AM valeria101 wrote:

----------------
On 8/26/2004 10:05:14 AM sparker wrote:

I would love to see one in the flesh.

----------------

Maybe just ask Whiteflash about their, well, near 8cts ACA
naughty.gif

LINK

----------------

That reply didn't turn out right. I meant to quote Valeria101. I'm inept with email techniques.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
the biggest ones I have ever seen in person was about 2 weeks ago when my prongs were getting fixed and a couple bought a 9ct, 98K diamond on the spot for his wife's "upgrade"...her other stone they were upgrading from couldn't have been any smaller than 4ct.

It was STUNNINGLY gorgeous. A radiant cut, just beautiful. I cannot imagine that sucker on her hand.

Before that I saw no bigger than 4ct when my folks were buying their new rings at their 25th. She has a 2.5ct marquise. I thought it was smaller than that but the other day I saw her insurance paperwork to renew their insurance policy and saw all the specs.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh, this is fun.
Way back when, I used to work for an insurance company. Well a diamond company we used for homeowner jewelry claims hosted a party for us.

The wife of the jeweler had this hunker on her hand! I couldn't believe it. Unfortunately I don't know the size. But try this mental picture won't you:

Left hand with a tea cup sitting right on it.

I'm telling you it was HUGE.

I also saw a 4ct at Tiffany's - it was alright
2.gif
twirl.gif

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I saw one that was 530 carats and cut by Joseph Asscher!

Okay so it was behind glass as part of the British Crown Jewels, but it was impressive to see in person!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh Yeah, I forget about the ones on display at the museum of natural history in DC.
But I don't think they "technically" count, right?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For several years when I attended the SF International Gift Show, there was a lady (the distributor of Steiff Teddy Bears in CA) who wore a 10 ct RB. Truthfully, I think it looked out of place on her finger. Would have been nicer as a fancy shape pendant.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
A very distant cousin of mine (drat!) has a 10 carat emerald cut ring from Graff (where Donald Trump purchased the 12 carat ec for his current fiancee). If it was a RB, I think it would look gaudy, but she is an older woman (mid 60's), has that East Coast socialite thing going on, and it is just STUNNING. And she let me try it on! It looked goooooood on my hand.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anybody has $250k
22.gif
in spare change that i can borrow? to buy that 7.5 ct. from WF., does WF offer 30 yr monthly payments ?, wonder is diamond in this size going up like crazy.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2004 7:00:13 PM vtigger86 wrote:

anybody has $250k
22.gif
in spare change that i can borrow? to buy that 7.5 ct. from WF., does WF offer 30 yr monthly payments ?, wonder is diamond in this size going up like crazy.----------------

LOL

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously... about 40cts (estimated for a piece is about 25mm X 20mm and somewhat deep) - an old mine cut in a pin. That and a few others passed through my hand while being allowed to handle one outrageous collection right here in Bucharest
1.gif

And that's what my tag line below is all about.

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
when i was at the dry cleaners last month, this woman in front of me had at least a 10ct asscher diamond, fancy yellow or maybe an L,M,N...not sure, but it was gorgeous and definitely the biggest diamond i have ever seen with my own eyes
love.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The largest I've seen? Hmmmm. . . one lady at Costco had on a fairly good sized stone about 4-5 carats. I'm sure I've seen larger, but can't remember off hand. This one was ugly, barely sparkled and looked like it was potty yellow rather than fancy yellow.

The prettiest diamond I've ever seen was also at Costco. A woman had a bezel set stone that was so icy white, that it was surely a D or an F and it was probably 2-3 carats. Not the largest stone, but so amazingly beautiful that it would have blown the above ring away in a heartbeat.

It's amazing what some people will sacrific for a bigger stone
2.gif

Michelle

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I've seen a 5 ct emerald and a 4 ct marquise up close--both beautiful. A girl at work has about a 3-4 ct fancy light yellow radiant that is very very nice--flanked by two white radiants. While on 47th street in NYC I saw many 8,10, 12+ ct rocks. They do start to look like rock candy after a while.
love.gif
3.gif
22.gif

I do think fancies can take more weight/spread than RBS--after a while, the RB looks like a golf ball on the hand. I think 4 cts is THE absolute limit...and that's if you have a chubby finger like moi.
2.gif
3.gif
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jenn
Yep,Here comes that 4 ct, like i said within 6 months..LOL

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
The largest ring I've ever seen worn in real life is an ex-colleague earlier this year. She had a 5 carat brilliant cut diamond ring. I must admit it was waaaaaay too big for my tastes. I also saw a 5 carat ring in a jewellery store window and I don't know that clarity or colour but the price in the window said AUS $235,000 (or $250K - can't remember which of the two prices it was)

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I feel very unworldly.. I think the largest diamond i've seen is only 2.25 ct or so! And I thought that was the most gigantic thing in the world.
Melissa

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
c'mon, i know there's a lot of rich people here on PS. somebody must have $250K in chump change, that they can loan me to buy the 7.5 ct from WF.
9.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I was at my jeweler's today
11.gif
and he showed me a 7.29 carat RB and I held it in a Tiffany setting and it was ridiculous...Utterly ridiculous. I wouldn't want it if he offered it to me. The cut was good but it was also a GIA I1, F and had little tiny black specklies I could see on one side. Its entire display was atrocious. He said he got it for someone who specifically wanted a cheap But BIG stone... he didn't agree but that's what she wanted.

I also saw a 3.59 Si1, J RB that was nice but it had a 59% table which didn't thrill me. Mine sparkled more and had much better arrows.
9.gif
10.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/26/2004 2:02:21 AM quaeritur wrote:

The largest one I saw was on a woman that could have been Liz Taylor's twin on the DC metro... She was bedecked in diamonds and I gawked at her the whole ride. She got off at my stop, and was picked up by a man driving a convertible classic Mercedes. The license plate? .... 8carat

----------------

Q
maybe that was Liz Taylor you saw. i also own 8 carrots is kept in my refrigerator.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The biggest diamond I have ever seen someone wear could put an eye out. I do not know how many carats the thing was but - emeraldish cut which engulfed this womens finger above the knuckle. It was huge. I see this women wear it once a year at a function we attend with my measly 3 carats!

tavernier

Rough_Rock
Concerning the size of the diamonds, do I wonder why they are so small, how is it that the biggest that one knows only weighed something more than 600 grams?
There will be some physical reason or chemistry so that they are so small?
It is certain that those sizes are well to use them as jewels, but my ask refers to the physical fact.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The largest diamond I have seen was on a sales assistant who worked at Harrods. It was a 15 ct marquise. It was, in my opinion, too big for her finger, she was a petite woman who was wearing a huge stone that nearly hit her knuckle.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
That sucker sounds dangerous!
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results