shape
carat
color
clarity

Belgium - Antwerp or surrounds?

liz-e

Rough_Rock
Dear Pricescope friends,

I am heading off to Belgium on a tour and was hoping to stop by the diamond district to have a ring made up.

Can anyone make any recommendations on where to go? I was going to go with Whiteflash but I'm not visiting the US anytime soon and they don't take credit cards for intl customers. I would like a recommendation for similar vendor over in Belgium.

Looking for a stone F-G VS1 1.3 - 1.5 round.

Thanks
Liz

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow! I have no idea. I was in Antwerp in Sept and was really overwhelmed in the diamond district. Wasn't my cup of tea. Please report back with your experience. I will be interested in hearing how it goes. :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liz-e|1297687618|2851343 said:
Dear Pricescope friends,

I am heading off to Belgium on a tour and was hoping to stop by the diamond district to have a ring made up.

Can anyone make any recommendations on where to go? I was going to go with Whiteflash but I'm not visiting the US anytime soon and they don't take credit cards for intl customers. I would like a recommendation for similar vendor over in Belgium.

Looking for a stone F-G VS1 1.3 - 1.5 round.

Thanks
Liz

Try Rob van Beurden at www.diamondhouse.be He has an excellent rep and might be able to help you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone-cold11|1297698011|2851456 said:
Lorelei|1297697103|2851435 said:
Try Rob van Beurden at www.diamondhouse.be He has an excellent rep and might be able to help you.

Lula said:
Fortrez is a Crafted by Infinity dealer that is located in Antwerp
http://www.fortrez.com/

Same company. :p

Interesting, I did not see the new website...I have been suggesting Rob at the old website for years now, I will read up, thank you for the heads up!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hoofbeats95 said:
Oh wow! I have no idea. I was in Antwerp in Sept and was really overwhelmed in the diamond district. Wasn't my cup of tea. Please report back with your experience. I will be interested in hearing how it goes. :)

There are two diamond districts in Antwerp. The "frosting" district is what most consumers encounter. It is purposely located by the train station and bus drop, mainly along Pelikaanstraat. I call it the "frosting" district because it's a coating which is sparkly and sugary sweet, but it's not the actual cake. It's geared towards tourists. I'd say that the chances of getting a "deal" there are about the same as in NY or LA's public districts.

The actual district lies apart from the "frosting" district: In contrast it is very plain looking. Many people don't even notice Rijfstraat, the side-street to get you there. Along with Hoveniersstraat and Schupstraat they form a tight "S" which is the real diamond business district of Antwerp. These are narrow streets to which authorized vehicles can only gain access when thick cylinders in the road are lowered to allow inspection first. One can walk these streets and see the main buildings where where rough is traded, manufacturers are headquartered and primary B2B takes place, but you cannot enter them without authorization. Also here are the famous Antwerp diamond Bourses, the beautiful synagogue (famous as the target of a 1981 bombing) and a handful of small diamond-tools shops which the public can enter; to shop for loupes, tweezers, etc.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
John Pollard|1297702076|2851522 said:
hoofbeats95 said:

There are two diamond districts in Antwerp. The "frosting" district is what most consumers encounter. It is purposely located by the train station and bus drop, mainly along Pelikaanstraat. I call it the "frosting" district because it's a coating which is sparkly and sugary sweet, but it's not the actual cake. It's geared towards tourists. I'd say that the chances of getting a "deal" there are about the same as in NY or LA's public districts.

The actual district lies apart from the "frosting" district: In contrast it is very plain looking. Many people don't even notice Rijfstraat, the side-street to get you there Hoveniersstraat and Scupstraat form a tight "S." They are narrow streets with no exits, and even authorized vehicles can only gain access when thick cylinders in the road are lowered to allow inspection first. One can walk these streets and see tall buildings where where rough is traded, manufacturers are headquartered and primary B2B takes place, but you cannot enter these buildings without authorization. Of-interest may be the famous diamond Bourses, the beautiful synagogue (famous as the target of a 1981 bombing) and a handful of small diamond-tools shops which you can enter to purchase loupes, tweezers, etc.

Oh yeah I visited the frosting! lol I was only window shopping anyway. I had grand dreams of bringing back a diamond actually bought in Antwerp. . . but it was just a dream. Are you then saying that the average consumer has to shop in the frosting section? At least for stones and jewelry. I'm sure I'll be back in Antwerp in a couple years, as I have very good Belgian friends. I will certainly check out the real street. Just so I can say I was there!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hoofbeats95|1297702350|2851528 said:
Oh yeah I visited the frosting! lol I was only window shopping anyway. I had grand dreams of bringing back a diamond actually bought in Antwerp. . . but it was just a dream. Are you then saying that the average consumer has to shop in the frosting section? At least for stones and jewelry. I'm sure I'll be back in Antwerp in a couple years, as I have very good Belgian friends. I will certainly check out the real street. Just so I can say I was there!

It's quite historic. Business with tourists has little interest for the major players transacting million-dollar-deals with polished manufacturers, international wholesalers and large buying organizations.

Here's a photo of the entrance on Schupstraat. This is at the far-end of the "S" from the frosting area. The other entrance is even more nondescript, though it has the same security cylinders. The building where we're headquartered is straight-ahead on the right-hand side.

antwerp-dd.jpg

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks John! Oh how I miss Belgium every time I see photos. I need a job that will send me over there regularly! :)

But for the OP then, you would suggest places in the tourist area? Or not? I found that potentially buying in that area was rather intimidating. But I have no experience with other diamond districts for comparison.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hoofbeats95|1297703621|2851562 said:
Thanks John! Oh how I miss Belgium every time I see photos. I need a job that will send me over there regularly! :)

But for the OP then, you would suggest places in the tourist area? Or not? I found that potentially buying in that area was rather intimidating. But I have no experience with other diamond districts for comparison.

I would not suggest places in the tourist area as a general rule. Having "secret shopped" there a few times I've seen people getting fleeced. Much like anywhere you decide to shop, your priority should be locating a dealer with a reputation for consumer protection and quality... You get what you pay for. If the Antwerp frosting district was actually some "magic land" where quality diamonds were sold at insanely low prices you'd see retailers lining up right along with the consumers to buy them.

There are reputable dealers in Antwerp. I'm well-acquainted with Rob van Buerden, who's operation is linked above. He has ties to a number of manufacturers and meets with consumers by-appointment. I'm sure others exist who are similarly focused on quality and consumer protection, but they're not typically found in the "loud" street-level shops vying for sales to tourists.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
That is what I suspected. I was not impressed with prices of stuff that I saw in the tourist area. Of course the poor exchange rate of the USD didn't help! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results