shape
carat
color
clarity

Belais ring question

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
My 3 stone OEC is a Belais 18k. The shank is thin and the engraving is mostly worn due to the age. My dilemma is, should I leave it as is since it's a antique piece or send it to have the shank redone and the engraving touched up? Would that diminish the value of the piece?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you are looking at keeping it forever, then make it good. Get it checked & have the engraving done. David Klass is your man for this I expect. If you are looking to sell at some point, then it might be worth keeping it fully original. I'm no expert in buying antique jewellery though, so perhaps @StephanieLynn or @foxinsox can chime in, as they buy lovely old rings & really know what appeals.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The real question is will you be keeping it or are you looking to resell?

I was in the same situation with a ring recently where the shank was extremely thin. A reshank would mean I would lose the stamps on the inside which would greatly affect resale. I opted to have the diamond reset and keeping it for myself.

If you will keep it then it would probably be best to have it reshanked and the engraving redone. You will want someone experienced in antique jewelry restoration. If you were to resell it the best practice would be to disclose the thin shank and leave it up to the buyer then if you find that you get no bites you would have to figure out if the cost for restore would be worth what you could sell it for.

As far as affecting the value, a lot of buyers will appreciate a well restored ring because the alternative is a very fragile piece that could break and be lost. The key is a well done restoration with someone experienced.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The real question is will you be keeping it or are you looking to resell?

I was in the same situation with a ring recently where the shank was extremely thin. A reshank would mean I would lose the stamps on the inside which would greatly affect resale. I opted to have the diamond reset and keeping it for myself.

If you will keep it then it would probably be best to have it reshanked and the engraving redone. You will want someone experienced in antique jewelry restoration. If you were to resell it the best practice would be to disclose the thin shank and leave it up to the buyer then if you find that you get no bites you would have to figure out if the cost for restore would be worth what you could sell it for.

As far as affecting the value, a lot of buyers will appreciate a well restored ring because the alternative is a very fragile piece that could break and be lost. The key is a well done restoration with someone experienced.
I’m not an expert but I do like to buy old and engraved rings. I’m with @StephanieLynn - if you’ve bought it to wear, a good restoration will keep it wearable for a lot longer. And jewellery is usually made to be worn so I’d make it safe and refresh the engraving. Hopefully if it’s stamped, that won’t lose you the stamps but I still think, unless it’s a significant piece (ie the kind that gets bought to live in a safe), I’d rather have a shank that’s not a danger of breaking. And if I’ve got engraving, I want it to be crisp so you can see the detail. I think refreshing that is in line with what the original wearers usually would have done anyway.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you are looking at keeping it forever, then make it good. Get it checked & have the engraving done. David Klass is your man for this I expect. If you are looking to sell at some point, then it might be worth keeping it fully original. I'm no expert in buying antique jewellery though, so perhaps @StephanieLynn or @foxinsox can chime in, as they buy lovely old rings & really know what appeals.

Sent my "Old Girl" off to DK for a spa treatment! Will post pics once she returns. DK has done several items for me and always impeccable. Love his work!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sent my "Old Girl" off to DK for a spa treatment! Will post pics once she returns. DK has done several items for me and always impeccable. Love his work!

How exciting!!! Yes, please post heaps of pictures when you have her back! :appl:

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
7FFBB7CA-1278-40BD-B808-E77D8CE096D8.jpeg C708528A-A1FD-46C1-8EF5-4B69A6D3BACF.jpeg A2508466-0098-44AE-851C-83FBE9998637.jpeg 203D9349-C56A-4F10-8EF9-85B2F830E3CA.jpeg FD398372-5212-40D6-8565-1591E577039F.jpeg My little old lady came home today after her spa treatment with DK. She’s so prettty!!! ❤️

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY :love: you didn’t say what a complete babe she was :lickout: she looks amazing after her spa treatment. I especially love the basket detail. It’s so structural and deco

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! Now that engraving is as authentic looking as authentic looking gets! What a stunning looking old girl! Fantastic decision :love:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wow that is truly stunning! An amazing achievement!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excuse me while I clean up the drool on my keyboard...

Ok, all better...LOVE this ring! :love::love::love::love::love: Wow, DK did a fabulous job! :appl: You made the right decision!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stunning :love:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i think you made the right choice. The spa treatment like great!

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
Saw your ring on the curved band thread and needed to do an immediate investigation for more pics! I love it!!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! amazing workmanship!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results