shape
carat
color
clarity

Being the Jones''...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope to get some insight on a situation in DH''s and my life that we''ve been dealing with on an ongoing basis. I found an old thread from 2004 about kind of the same issue, but I didn''t really get anything out of it that I thought I could apply to our situation, so I''m starting this thread.

So here''s the deal: DH has a friend who he''s known for about 7-8 years now...this guy has since gotten married and the four of us have become good friends, have been on trips together, spend time together on weekends, and spend time as friends separately ("C" and my husband; and "S" and myself.) They got married about 9 months before we did, and our friendship continued to grow. When my husband and I bought our first house (in which we currently reside), the "trouble" began. Very shortly after we bought ours, "C" and "S" bought a house 2.5 blocks from ours. At first DH and I thought it would be great to have neighbors we already were friends with, and it was nice in that aspect. However, we started to notice that everything DH and I purchased for our home, or whenever we decided to begin a new home improvement project, "C" & "S" either bought the same exact item, or decided to start a similar project. OK, we figured that''s pretty normal and didn''t think too much more about it. Over the past year, it''s gotten worse and worse, though. Now even with Christmas presents, anniversary gifts, birthday gifts, "C" (the husband) will call mine and ask him what he gave me for one of those occasions. He has even gone so far as to call ME to find out where the Coach store is, (when he knows I don''t carry Coach anything). This past Christmas, DH gave me one of those under-the-counter mounted CD player/radios for the kitchen because I''d been asking for one. As soon as "C" came over the next time and saw it in our kitchen, the very next week they had one installed in theirs--the same exact make and model.
6.gif

OK, still minor things...when I got my SI ultrasonic cleaner, "C" stopped by and I was using it in the kitchen. Their anniversary was the next week and he asked me all about the SI and where I got it. He asked if he could use our computer so "S" wouldn''t find out, and right then and there ordered the same exact SI for her anniversary gift. OK, not THAT big of a deal, but I was like, that''s just WEIRD. Kind of takes the fun out of gift-giving!

Finally the kicker (as far as the "copycat" game): last fall, DH and I bought a new SUV. My car had been purchased outright and I had driven it for 6 years...DH''s car is a company car that he doesn''t make payments on, so we sold my car and used that $ for the down payment on a fully loaded SUV that isn''t a luxury brand, but for an American car is pretty darn close to "luxury." Last week, "C" calls up my husband and starts grilling him about how much we paid for it, how much we put down, how were we able to afford that, etc. DH advises "C" to wait until late summer/early fall (like we did) to get the best deal. ("C" also still owes $ on "S"''s car and has just paid off his own this month, so they would be better off waiting until hers is paid off as well and then selling it outright instead of using it for the trade, since nothing is wrong with either of their cars.) Well, surprise, surprise, the advice went unheeded and guess who has a new SUV, same make and model as ours? Mmm hmm.

This couple is on their 3rd re-financing on their house in 3 years, they''ve no equity in their home (this info I''ve gotten from my DH), and they continue to buy, buy, buy. "C" is currently out of work but is receiving workman''s compensation for a torn rotator cuff because he was injured on the job. "S" works also, thank goodness...but he will be off work until September and has already been off for the last 2 months, and worker''s comp. is only a percentage of what he normally brings home.

The above examples are only a few out of many. "S" is desperate to start a family, but DH and I have now realized that "C" will probably not go down that road until we do!
6.gif
We really do enjoy our friendship with this couple, and like them as people, but the spending situation and the similarities have gotten to be a strain on our relationship with them. "C" calls my husband constantly and is very clingy (moreso now that he''s out of work). DH doesn''t know how to handle him without hurting his feelings..."S" is not really a problem, as she and I get along well, but I wouldn''t feel comfortable talking to her about her husband and this issue. We hate to see this couple keep spending money they don''t have, especially when it seems like they are doing it in order to keep up with us. It has become noticeable even to other friends of ours within the same circle, and people are beginning to kind of joke about it.
15.gif
It''s not like we''re calling these people every time we buy something or make said home improvements to "show off" or anything, in fact, we make a point of keeping things on the downlow so as not to encourage them (well, mainly him.)

Sorry this is so long..it''s been weighing on my mind for a long time now and I really needed to vent! You PSr''s are so good with advice and insight I thought I''d look to you for ideas on how to deal with this situation. DH has had it *up to here* and I''m worried that one of these days he will blow up and the friendship will really be affected. We plan to stay in our house at least another year or two...we have even discussed moving to a suburb they would never consider due to location/price so they don''t follow us!
40.gif
Yes, it is THAT bad!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated--thanks!
35.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
My non-psychologically-oriented "quick take" .... it''s a guy who''s not that confident in his own decisions, whose found someone he respects and it''s just SIMPLY EASIER to copy your husbands(and your) decisions than make his own. Like buying "pre-approved" items, only instead of consulting "Consumer Reports" or something & doing his own homework ... he just waits to see how it works for you & if it works well, he pounces.

It''s funny - ''cause at first I thought it was flattering ... then I thought it was creepy ... and now I think YOU''RE BEING USED AS GUINEA PIGS. The "King''s" food tester!

Maybe the easy solution is to complain about your stuff (house, appliances etc) ... but ONLY TO THEM. Also ... talk about how you''re "Debt Free" all the time, like its a badge of honor!! Maybe you can back-handedly change their habits, despite themselves.
31.gif
31.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
what''s worrying you more, that they copy every thing that you do, or that they''re living beyond thier means?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. The movie Single White Female comes to mind.
32.gif

I sorta feel the way Deco does...that at first it was flattering, then downright annoying, then creepy. I haven''t gotten past annoyed/creepy. I like the idea of complaining about the things you own, but only to them. However, they get the same item so fast, it''s hard to complain about something you just got 2 seconds ago! I wonder if you could just tell them it''s weirding you out (a la the ''can I use your computer to order the same thing you have here RIGHT NOW'')

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow what a wacky story monarch!!! it''s great to have close couple friends but not THAT close! that would bother me too long term, esp if it''s so blatant at this point.

i like deco''s idea of starting to talk about how fabulous it is to be debt free and about not buying things beyond means etc. maybe if they are that interested in what you do and the husband has so much respect for your husband that it will give him a mini wake-up call to go ''gosh we AREN''T debt free and they are!'' and maybe they will change their habits.

or have you guys talked about retirement planning with them? maybe talk about how you guys are thinking of putting more towards that or similar to give them a little mental boost...i don''t know, you know them and we don''t so i don''t even know if any of this will make a difference, but does your hubby feel comfrotable at all saying something like maybe next time they buy something you guys have, he can say something like ''gosh we just got one like that...do you realize you have practically the same furnishings we do'' or something like that. maybe he doesn''t even know he is doing it!!

anyway, just rambling, but sorry to hear about the bizarro story and good luck!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't let it worry me. They probably admire your taste in things and feel that you know more than they do about the best things to buy and the best way to go about home improvements. Your friends are adults and they know what they're getting into whenever they get something on credit. Being deeply in debt is a way of life for many people. I like the idea of talking about saving and retirement planning.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is creepy

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco, you are too funny! I hadn''t thought of us as guinea pigs before...but now that you mention it, maybe that''s part of what''s going on?! I think we''ve done our best to kind of send the message that we do save for things like retirement, starting a family, etc., but apparently this guy is more of a spender personality...don''t get me wrong, we are spenders to an extent as well, but we also have a bit more income than their household. We are a few years older than they are, and since my DH became friends with this guy he has mentioned to me that "C" looks up to him as kind of a role model (he used to find it flattering, of course). I guess growing up, "C" didn''t have a good relationship with his dad, and I think that he sees my husband as that father figure. But it''s difficult to sustain the friendship role as well as the "parent" at the same time, you know? It is definitely to the point now that we both find it annoying...we''ve tried to distance ourselves, hang out with other friends, etc., but we don''t want to alienate them either.

LadyKemma, I think it bothers me more to see my DH get frustrated over all of this than anything else. Every time I''m present when his cellphone rings and it''s another advice-seeking phone call from "C," we both cringe. It seems he cannot make a move without consulting my husband first, and there have also been times where we''ve wondered why he isn''t talking to his wife about things instead of calling my DH! It''s downright strange on several levels. Sure, we like to be "original" and have our own unique things, but obviously we can''t get upset over them buying the same Home Depot power painter that we have, or whatever. The "copycat" issue is just a symptom of a deeper issue, I''m beginning to see. I don''t begrudge them at all for having similar interests in things like that, it''s just that you would think like Deco said they''d want to do their own research and not rely so much on us test-driving things first and going out to buy the very same thing. As far as their financial situation, of course I wouldn''t want to see them dig their hole any deeper, but I don''t really want to be responsible for influencing them to save or spend... "C" needs to talk to his wife about that kind of thing, not to my DH, who has no formal training as a financial advisor.
9.gif
Not only that, but frankly we don''t want to discuss with them really anything we do with our money, how much we make, where we put our money, etc. I have a bad feeling that if that can of worms were ever opened, we''d end up regretting it. As it is now, we both have our taxes done by the same guy (yes, that was a whole separate "consultation" instigated by "C.") We have verbalized this to them on several occasions, i.e. "we really don''t want to discuss income or anything financial that isn''t public knowledge." Still, they both find ways to kind of fish around to figure out how much we make or how much we spend on things. That''s where I get ticked off, because it is no one''s business and I thought we made that crystal clear a few times already.

FG, yeah, it has gotten creepy. And it''s so unfortunate because these are two people, who, if they lived half an hour away instead of one minute we would probably not be dealing with this at all. We used to love spending time with them, but now we sort of dread it because we feel like they are kind of just checking us out or waiting to see what we''ll do next! DH just said to me the other day, "wait until we get pregnant, I bet "S" will be the very next month." We try not to be petty or get frustrated, but we''re starting to feel stalked!
23.gif

Mara, I really wish there were a way to turn them on to retirement planning or influence them in some way towards not paying so much attention to THINGS and devoting more attention to THE FUTURE!!! I will talk to DH about it again but his patience is really wearing thin about the whole thing so I don''t even know if he''ll want to discuss it. I mentioned above that I think a retirement planning convo. would turn into "C" using whatever info we would be able to provide and putting his eggs in whatever basket we put ours in, which would not only be annoying, but I think it would turn into another "competition" and then we''d end up talking constantly about how our stocks are doing, etc! yeesh.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Monarch...how weird! I had a friend sort of like that....but we were in high school!!!!

Deco's advice is great...start complaining to them about all your choices, except for your choice to be debt free.

widget

PS: BTW..decodelighted...I LOVE all your posts! I'm tempted to subscribe to you!
1.gif

ETA: Monarch, I didn't see your last post when I wrote this. On a more serious note, I think it's good that you're trying to distance yourself a bit from these people. It may be that eventually you'll have actually have to confront them if they don't take the hint. That guy's behavior is creepy...almost unhealthy, IMO..

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I agree with what Deco and Mara said--maybe try "talking up" something financially prudent/savings, retirement, etc.......

WEIRD and frustrating situation!!!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 2:49:48 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I wouldn''t let it worry me. They probably admire your taste in things and feel that you know more than they do about the best things to buy and the best way to go about home improvements. Your friends are adults and they know what they''re getting into whenever they get something on credit. Being deeply in debt is a way of life for many people. I like the idea of talking about saving and retirement planning.
"Your friends are adults and they know what they''re getting into whenever they get something on credit. Being deeply in debt is a way of life for many people. I like the idea of talking about saving and retirement planning. "

yep, leave them to their fate. model debt free living and retirement planinng and after that leave it alone.

do you want to take a friend break? just be "too busy" and "out of town" for a while?

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
Monarch - imitation is the highest form of flattery - however, I think your friends are bringing that to a whole new level.

I became friends with a girl, basically bonding because we were both talking about getting engaged and buying our first condo''s. At the time, I was really into Tacori and showed her this eternity e-ring by them that I loved and told by boyfriend I wanted. Well, she got engaged a few months before we seriously started the process and guess what ring she got. The exact same Tacori I wanted. Right about the same time, I was looking for granite for the kitchen countertops in our new condo and I mentioned which one I picked (Labrador Antique/Mahogany Blue Eyes) and she buys her condo a few months later and what does she install. Same thing. This happened over and over again with Coach purses, clothes, etc. that I finally just got fed up cause it was getting kind of creepy. I ended up breaking off the friendship cause it crossed the line of flattery.

Have you thought about talking to her and maybe she can influence her husband? I think downplaying your new purchases and renovations is a good idea and try to focus on other things like living debt free. Also, if you distance yourself from them a little then maybe they will find someone else to copy.

Good luck.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 3:07:54 PM
Author: ladykemma

Date: 6/13/2006 2:49:48 PM
I wouldn''t let it worry me. They probably admire your taste in things and feel that you know more than they do about the best things to buy and the best way to go about home improvements. Your friends are adults and they know what they''re getting into whenever they get something on credit. Being deeply in debt is a way of life for many people. I like the idea of talking about saving and retirement planning.
''Your friends are adults and they know what they''re getting into whenever they get something on credit. Being deeply in debt is a way of life for many people. I like the idea of talking about saving and retirement planning. ''

yep, leave them to their fate. model debt free living and retirement planinng and after that leave it alone.

do you want to take a friend break? just be ''too busy'' and ''out of town'' for a while?
Mme. B and ladykemma, I agree, they are adults and do know what they''re getting into. I guess I just wish they could apply the whole "adult" thing to decision-making, as in not relying so much on this "monkey-see, monkey-do" thing that''s going on.

We would both love to take a friend break, but we''ve tried that. I was actually confronted by the wife, who asked me "are you mad at me?" I hadn''t accepted a couple of invitations from her to go out at night! I felt like I was in 5th grade again.
20.gif
My DH has taken to not answering his cellphone or our home phone when he doesn''t feel like talking to "C" every single day, but the worst thing is I have answered the phone a couple of times and "C" has said, "Is M home? I drove past your house and saw his car, but he''s not answering his phone."
6.gif
Now I''m sorry, but THAT is freaky! Once was strange, but it''s happened two more times, and it really is creepy now...even though they live only 2.5 blocks away, he''s driving past specifically to see whose car is in the garage!

Again, they are not terrible people. We are just steadily losing respect for them due to issues like these. A few months ago we invited them to spend a weekend with us at our vacation rental and I''m pretty sure they''re coming...in that environment we will have a lot of fun together. It''s just the too-close-for-comfort stuff at home that is making the friendship suffer. *sigh.*

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes that is creepy. They''ll get the hint if you don''t answer the phone, or accpet invitations to go out at night. Just be nice but a little bit distant?? I''m sorry but if that were me, I''d totally be creeped out. One thing to ask advice but to copy everything would drive me insano. I''d be like do you guys ever have an original idea??? UGHHH.
14.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 3:40:27 PM
Author: monarch64
My DH has taken to not answering his cellphone or our home phone when he doesn''t feel like talking to ''C'' every single day, but the worst thing is I have answered the phone a couple of times and ''C'' has said, ''Is M home? I drove past your house and saw his car, but he''s not answering his phone.''
6.gif
Now I''m sorry, but THAT is freaky! Once was strange, but it''s happened two more times, and it really is creepy now...even though they live only 2.5 blocks away, he''s driving past specifically to see whose car is in the garage!

Can you say "Man Crush"???
31.gif
Not sexual (probably!
11.gif
) ... but def def beginning to broach OBSESSIVE. Sometimes you have to risk the friendship entirely in order to be honest & regain equilibrium. I doubt very much things will "clear up" on their own.

If you can''t discuss uncomfortable issues in a friendship then it really isn''t a CLOSE friendship anyway ... more like a friendship of convenience (that isn''t so covenient anymore anyway)

Oooof -- good luck!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure this will surprise just so many of you....
11.gif
, but I really am a firm believer in the direct approach. Nice, but direct. As I see it, there''s nothing really to be lost. There''s no point in worrying about alienating them, because they are already alienating you with their behavior. This either has to stop, or the friendship won''t be sustainable.

When asked about how much a purchase costs, I''d respond by either saying "I''m not comfortable discussing the financial aspects of my purchase - I really consider that fairly personal information." or alternately asking "why do you want to know?"

I''d also have a frank conversation that says "look, I cannot tell you what you can or can''t buy. You''re free to buy what you wish. I will tell you, though, that it makes us fairly uncomfortable to have every purchase we make replicated. We are flattered that you trust our purchasing judgment so much, but it''s gotten beyond the point of flattery now, and you may not be aware of it. It''s not that we don''t like you or want you to have what you want, but having EVERYTHING the same is kind of awkward.....sort of like two gals wearing the same dress to the prom, if you know what I''m saying."

Regarding your discomfort (you and DH) about their spending habits and whether or not they are over their heads.....that''s really not your business (I mean this in the nicest way), and having it worry you muddies the waters. You can''t say on the one hand "we don''t want to be parent figures" and then on the other hand say "We feel they are getting in over their heads" ....as a parent would do.

They are adults; it''s up to them to determine how they want to conduct their financial affairs. If they weren''t trying to keep up with you, it would be someone else.

Sorry - hope it improves. Tough situation to be in, but I don''t see it getting any better unless someone is willing to gently have the "awkward conversation".

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 3:13:51 PM
Author: Emeraldfan
Monarch - imitation is the highest form of flattery - however, I think your friends are bringing that to a whole new level.

I became friends with a girl, basically bonding because we were both talking about getting engaged and buying our first condo''s. At the time, I was really into Tacori and showed her this eternity e-ring by them that I loved and told by boyfriend I wanted. Well, she got engaged a few months before we seriously started the process and guess what ring she got. The exact same Tacori I wanted. Right about the same time, I was looking for granite for the kitchen countertops in our new condo and I mentioned which one I picked (Labrador Antique/Mahogany Blue Eyes) and she buys her condo a few months later and what does she install. Same thing. This happened over and over again with Coach purses, clothes, etc. that I finally just got fed up cause it was getting kind of creepy. I ended up breaking off the friendship cause it crossed the line of flattery.

Have you thought about talking to her and maybe she can influence her husband? I think downplaying your new purchases and renovations is a good idea and try to focus on other things like living debt free. Also, if you distance yourself from them a little then maybe they will find someone else to copy.

Good luck.
So you know the feeling, huh Emerald!
9.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
wow, serious boundaries, codependency and enmeshment thing going on, to the pont of stalking. this is pretty sick. stuff like this doesn''t get better without professional help.

are they friends worth keeping? if so, professional counseling?
if not, drop em and get your life back? they WILL find someone else to glom on to.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m with Aljdewey. Time for a frank talk. You can''t hide from this . She''ll bug you with why are''nt you taking my calls and he will do the same to your hubby. I''d sit them down and say look guys this isn''t easy for us to tell you BUT THIS IS BOTHERING US!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 3:51:07 PM
Author: aljdewey
I''m sure this will surprise just so many of you....
11.gif
, but I really am a firm believer in the direct approach. Nice, but direct. As I see it, there''s nothing really to be lost. There''s no point in worrying about alienating them, because they are already alienating you with their behavior. This either has to stop, or the friendship won''t be sustainable.

When asked about how much a purchase costs, I''d respond by either saying ''I''m not comfortable discussing the financial aspects of my purchase - I really consider that fairly personal information.'' or alternately asking ''why do you want to know?''

I''d also have a frank conversation that says ''look, I cannot tell you what you can or can''t buy. You''re free to buy what you wish. I will tell you, though, that it makes us fairly uncomfortable to have every purchase we make replicated. We are flattered that you trust our purchasing judgment so much, but it''s gotten beyond the point of flattery now, and you may not be aware of it. It''s not that we don''t like you or want you to have what you want, but having EVERYTHING the same is kind of awkward.....sort of like two gals wearing the same dress to the prom, if you know what I''m saying.''

Regarding your discomfort (you and DH) about their spending habits and whether or not they are over their heads.....that''s really not your business (I mean this in the nicest way), and having it worry you muddies the waters. You can''t say on the one hand ''we don''t want to be parent figures'' and then on the other hand say ''We feel they are getting in over their heads'' ....as a parent would do.

They are adults; it''s up to them to determine how they want to conduct their financial affairs. If they weren''t trying to keep up with you, it would be someone else.

Sorry - hope it improves. Tough situation to be in, but I don''t see it getting any better unless someone is willing to gently have the ''awkward conversation''.
AlJ, I do appreciate your take on the situation. I also agree with you on the need for a frank conversation, and well, every other point you made.
1.gif
We''re pretty mellow, easygoing people, but the whole thing has just gone too far. I think both DH and I have come to realize that it''s time for "no more Mr. Nice Guy," and we will have to get down to brass tacks and let them know they need to cool it. Thanks for your great advice...
35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 3:40:27 PM
Author: monarch64
My DH has taken to not answering his cellphone or our home phone when he doesn''t feel like talking to ''C'' every single day, but the worst thing is I have answered the phone a couple of times and ''C'' has said, ''Is M home? I drove past your house and saw his car, but he''s not answering his phone.''
6.gif
Okay, this pretty much crosses the line. You ARE being stalked at this point. Maybe not the scary, ''I''m going to kill you'' stalking, but you are definitely being tracked by your ''friends'' and that is just NOT cool. I also wouldn''t want to have friends like that! You really need to tell them that they are damaging the relationship by keeping you in a chokehold and they need to back off. Tell them it''s flattering that they like you so much but it really is starting to make you uncomfortable. Nobody wants to be checked up on....you DO NOT have to answer your cell phone if you don''t want to! And you shouldn''t have to be stalked to be pressured into it!

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
Monarch - Yes, unfortunately I do know the feeling. I actually did confront her on a couple things but it didn''t work out to well for me - which is why I just broke off the friendship. When I confronted her about the ring she completely denied copying me and getting the one I wanted. She was like I got the ring first so how could I be copying you?? Same thing with the granite, although her response to that one was that it really was "the only one that would go with the cabinets she picked out". I mean come on have you ever been to a granite store - there are thousands to choose from. The final straw was when I showed up to dinner with her with a unique evening bag and then a week later I accidentally see her at a restaurant down the street from us with the very same purse. I figured by that time that there was just no talking to her - she would either deny it or get offended that I thought she couldn''t make her own choices. I just gradually stopped talking to her.

It sounds like it is only going to get worse with them and they have gradually escalated their obsession with having what you have. Driving by and peeking in your garage crosses the line. I was thinking about what I wrote about downplaying your purchases, etc. but, you really shouldn''t have to hide the things you love and can afford. You shouldn''t have to monitor your phones either. It sounds like it may have started out with little things and has now taken over everything they do. I know it may be hard but maybe the best thing is to talk to them in a direct but unaccusing way and tell them it is making you and your DH uncomfortable. Do you really want to go on living like this? Moving is really no answer and it doesn''t appear like it is going to go away on its own.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t realize it had gotten to the point where they''re driving by your house to check on you. Do they have any family in the area? If not, are they very lonely and do they regard you as their family now? If that''s the situation, maybe it would help if you introduced them to other people.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 4:49:49 PM
I didn''t realize it had gotten to the point where they''re driving by your house to check on you. Do they have any family in the area? If not, are they very lonely and do they regard you as their family now? If that''s the situation, maybe it would help if you introduced them to other people.
Actually, they both have family in the area! We have other friends in the area as well, and my DH met "C" through them. We are the last remaining couples out of the circle who do not yet have children...the others are basically just busy raising their families, whereas we are the couple closest in proximity who is still available on any given Friday or Saturday for dinner, etc. So our current lifestyles are also a factor in this equation--we don''t have the excuse of not having a babysitter or anything to that effect.

I really wish my DH would find it within himself to just take "C" out for a beer and talk to him about the situation, but I don''t know if that will happen. "S" and I don''t really have a problem communicating, with the exception of her "are you mad at me" confrontation, but she has lots of other female friends and so do I, and I think she could care less about "keeping up" or any of that. It''s more "C" who has this raging insecurity and obsession with my husband, and he really has no other close friends who he seems to want to talk to or be with as much as my guy. I think "S" is basically clueless that he''s doing this, especially all the phone calls, the drive-bys, etc. It seems "C" talks to my DH about all kinds of things that she doesn''t know anything about...I have made mention of things before that I assumed she knows from talking to her husband because my DH has told me about them (invites to parties given by our friends, random day-to-day occurrences, things like that) and I''m the first person she''s heard it from. It''s a very awkward feeling to know this guy is sharing information with my husband first and not his own wife. I think Deco may very possibly be onto something when she talks about a "man crush."
20.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
This is just what I would do . . . end the friendship. Your husband sounds like he''s at his wit''s end. I would not answer ANY of all those personal questions they ask about how much things cost, etc. It''s weird and crosses boundaries. If it were my sister, yeah, I would tell her. Not these friends who are obviously copying everything you buy.

Yes, I do feel it is flattering if they buy what you buy. But, as Lady Kemma said, the enmeshment, the boundary issues, and the dependency issues. I couldn''t handle it. I would have to sever the ties. If it''s getting to the point where you want to MOVE to get away from them . . . oh NO, sever those ties instead. Then you can go on with your lives.

I would gradually distance myself from them. You and your husband could be "busy" with work, other friends, etc. until you lose contact with them completely.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it can be obnoxious, intrusive and down right creepy. Cleary they have no real minds of their own and just want to copy you and be like you in lots of ways. Even if you take it as flattery it is still a bit bothersome, and I totally understand how it would be troubling now.

I have a friend who dealt with this with a pal of hers and it really started to irk her. They would be at the same event in the same outfit because this girl would go out and buy what my friend had and knowing she was wearing it would do it on purpose. Even if she avoided telling this girl, she would see my friend out and about and then copy her, down to the ring tone she downloaded on her cell phone! My friend started messing with her a bit (mean, I know, but it was getting so out of hand) and telling this girl that she HAD gotten something (and it was tacky or whatever, she really did not have it) and the girl would run out and get it, thinking my friend had it. It was so sad and predictable. That happened a few times, but before that, my friend did try to talk with her and say while she was flattered, it was starting to get annoying...If my pal''s hubby gave her something, this girl had to get her hubby to get her the same thing...finally, I think my friend just starting pulling away and trying to avoid sharing things with her when they had to be together. It is sad, but maybe if you had your dh say, Hey, we have noticed this and while it is a compliment on one hand, it is a bit annoying and we are feeling a bit violated (or something to that effect, I am more blunt when I have been pushed, but that is not to say there is not a better approach since I do not know their personalities...) Good luck and I hope they start to realize that it is weird and cool it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
M64
you don''t need to say anything. if they already re-finance their house 3x,they will run out of money soon. mother nature will take its course or in this case their mortage Co.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... what a situation... it would be hard not to feel like your hands are a little tied at this point, since it''s been going on for so long it''s almost become "normal" to them. I think you''ve gotten great advice about having a straightforward conversation about all this... particularly between your husband and C.

Maybe the next time a gift-giving situation arises and C comes to your DH for ideas, he can come right out and say something like "don''t you think S would prefer a gift that you chose on your own?" I also think if C respects your DH that much (and obviously he does), he may really take it to heart if your DH has a sit-down with him about spending within your means and the virtues of being debt-free and all that. He could use the "we learned that lesson after making a few mistakes, and we don''t want you to make the same ones" approach (even if it''s not entirely accurate in your case).

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Well, I don''t think you are going to be able to walk away friends from this one. I would just find a time to be frank. That, or keep the conversations short and polite and let it take its course. Don''t invite them over and have good excuses ready why you can''t go to their place. Or get caller ID and don''t answer.

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
I agree with DF. The problem will likely go away once they''re not living in the same neighborhood. Go ahead and tell them you''re expecting. They''ll have a kid and he/she will keep them too busy to worry about what you''re doing.
11.gif
I''m joking, but they might see a lesson in it. The worst thing would be to do nothing and have it all come out on your vacation; nobody would enjoy that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results