shape
carat
color
clarity

Before my trial period ends...

jjca

Rough_Rock
Help Deciding - This arrived last week... it's hearts and arrows (and has 1.3 HCA (if I remember correctly). It is so bright and in my kitchen, but I am not sure how I feel about how it looks from across the room - not as bright white as my last diamond (which was cut to just be bright and had great scintillation but no fire). It has so mch sparkle. more than I've seen in person from any diamond... but across the room, I justt see sparkle and not a bright white diamond. Is that jsut H&A and I'm not used to it? Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 6.44.10 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 6.43.16 AM.png

View recent photos 4.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 6.43.53 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 6.43.53 AM.png
    913.4 KB · Views: 30

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you have given it a week and it doesn't make your heart sing you should choose another diamond. It may be that this particular HCA diamond isn't exactly for you. I'm sure some of our expert posters can help choose another one that might be more to your liking.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the GIA report for your old stone so we can see the differences?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
That's as textbook perfect as a round cut diamond gets, but maybe that isn't a shape or cut that works for your preferences. I don't think you'll start seeing it differently

jjca

Rough_Rock

My old stone was EGL - Depth 62.9, table 60% Crown height 14% Pavillion Depth 45% - that's all it had - it was from 1999. So white - so bright - not really any fire - but it really sparkled white. Maybe I'm just not used to a better cut stone with fire that isn't just white?

jjca

Rough_Rock
When I lay it completely on its side, I think I can see my skin through parts of it, is that normal, when at 90%?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My old stone was EGL - Depth 62.9, table 60% Crown height 14% Pavillion Depth 45% - that's all it had - it was from 1999. So white - so bright - not really any fire - but it really sparkled white. Maybe I'm just not used to a better cut stone with fire that isn't just white?

The old stone is what is referred to as a 60/60 diamond. Depth and table in the 60% range. That type of stone favors brightness over fire. A hearts and arrow diamond combines brightness and fire. The looks can be different and it depends on what you value most in the diamond appearance. Your new stone will appear somewhat different than the old; you have to decide which look you like best. The new stone is a classic hearts and arrows cut and there is nothing wrong with the cut - just depends on what you prefer. It is a beautifully cut diamond with great color and clarity. You will get lots of sparkle and fire from that diamond.

jjca

Rough_Rock
The old stone is what is referred to as a 60/60 diamond. Depth and table in the 60% range. That type of stone favors brightness over fire. A hearts and arrow diamond combines brightness and fire. The looks can be different and it depends on what you value most in the diamond appearance. Your new stone will appear somewhat different than the old; you have to decide which look you like best. The new stone is a classic hearts and arrows cut and there is nothing wrong with the cut - just depends on what you prefer. It is a beautifully cut diamond with great color and clarity. You will get lots of sparkle and fire from that diamond.

Can you speak to what happens when I lay it on its side? I've seen here that all diamonds have some windowing when laid completely flat and viewed at 90?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I lay it completely on its side, I think I can see my skin through parts of it, is that normal, when at 90%?

That's not the way you evaluate light return in a stone or how well a stone is cut.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you spend a lot of time looking at your diamond from across the room?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what my problem is - I think I'm just afraid to make a bad decision.

In terms of a super ideal, hearts and arrows cut diamond, you have made an excellent choice. If you don’t like the look - and there is no sin in that - then you might want to explore other options. I would also maybe call and talk to Brian Gavin himself to get his insight. Might have some impact on your thinking. It honestly looks to be a fabulous diamond of the make and model that it is! Have you taken it out into grocery store, Home Depot, restaurant lighting, etc.? That will give you some idea of how it performs in different lighting. From across the room in proper lighting, you should be able to see flashes of light from the arrows. A diamond will pick up on paint colors so a colorless diamond will look mirror whatever color surrounds it. A super ideal cut stone will appear dark overall in bright sunlight as the eye can’t adjust to the light. The point of all of this being that the diamond will not have a constant, static look about it which is the norm. Just bear these things in mind when making your decision.

jjca

Rough_Rock
In terms of a super ideal, hearts and arrows cut diamond, you have made an excellent choice. If you don’t like the look - and there is no sin in that - then you might want to explore other options. I would also maybe call and talk to Brian Gavin himself to get his insight. Might have some impact on your thinking. It honestly looks to be a fabulous diamond of the make and model that it is! Have you taken it out into grocery store, Home Depot, restaurant lighting, etc.? That will give you some idea of how it performs in different lighting. From across the room in proper lighting, you should be able to see flashes of light from the arrows. A diamond will pick up on paint colors so a colorless diamond will look mirror whatever color surrounds it. A super ideal cut stone will appear dark overall in bright sunlight as the eye can’t adjust to the light. The point of all of this being that the diamond will not have a constant, static look about it which is the norm. Just bear these things in mind when making your decision.

Thanks so much! I so appreciate your thoughts!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jjca -

Just looking at the few stats you gave us, your previous stone had a number of different issues. With a depth of 62.9%, it isn't a 60/60, and with a pavilion angle of 45, it has no chance of reflecting back maximum light. The fact that it only returned whiteness (and I know what you mean by this) is generally considered a fault.

However - having said all that - if this is the look you like, then, as others have said, this stone may not be for you and all taste is subjective. There is no right or wrong on this. But how you replicate the stone you previously had would be a thing of luck more than intention.

Nobody should be (and nobody here is) trying to talk you into purchasing - or keeping - anything. But just be aware, the diamond you just bought it about as good as they come in the H&A world, and an E colored stone is very white indeed. What you're seeing is not tint - it's faceting and various angles of light return and so on.

My best suggestion is - go to Costco! As so many of the members here could tell you - the lighting at Costco is *perfect* for H&As. So go see it at its best and see if you fall in love with it then.

And if you don't....

Have you considered old cuts? Different shapes? If it comes to that - colored gems? if this is any consolation - I used to like that plain white look, and it took me a while to get used to the light show you get from an H&A. Now, those solid white diamonds look like paint to me, and I'm in love with the sparkle of a perfectly cut H&A.

Much to consider - good luck!

jjca

Rough_Rock
jjca -

Just looking at the few stats you gave us, your previous stone had a number of different issues. With a depth of 62.9%, it isn't a 60/60, and with a pavilion angle of 45, it has no chance of reflecting back maximum light. The fact that it only returned whiteness (and I know what you mean by this) is generally considered a fault.

However - having said all that - if this is the look you like, then, as others have said, this stone may not be for you and all taste is subjective. There is no right or wrong on this. But how you replicate the stone you previously had would be a thing of luck more than intention.

Nobody should be (and nobody here is) trying to talk you into purchasing - or keeping - anything. But just be aware, the diamond you just bought it about as good as they come in the H&A world, and an E colored stone is very white indeed. What you're seeing is not tint - it's faceting and various angles of light return and so on.

My best suggestion is - go to Costco! As so many of the members here could tell you - the lighting at Costco is *perfect* for H&As. So go see it at its best and see if you fall in love with it then.

And if you don't....

Have you considered old cuts? Different shapes? If it comes to that - colored gems? if this is any consolation - I used to like that plain white look, and it took me a while to get used to the light show you get from an H&A. Now, those solid white diamonds look like paint to me, and I'm in love with the sparkle of a perfectly cut H&A.

I'm so happy I found this group! Thank you for your input!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear an old cut diamond that is very similarly proportioned to the diamond you are getting, in that it is cut to maximize what we might call sparkle. People notice my diamond across the room all the time because it is blinging and zinging light at them! I am a professor and my students tease me that my ring blinds them during lectures. So my point is that I feel pretty darn confident that your diamond will be noticed across the room. And by shop keepers when you pay for things. And by family when you hang out at home depot together! And by you! Bling Bling sparkle is very eye catching from across the room!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what my diamonds look like in Costco lighting! Yours should look just as lively! And the quality of this video is totally degraded compared to real life. Definitely worth a look-see.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jjca -

And if you don't....

What @mrs-b wrote and I bolded was true of myself as well. We were probably old school (but not old!) diamond owners and the hearts and arrows look was a taste to be acquired. Once you appreciate their performance, you can never look back at the solid white diamond. Again, not to sway you in any way but to validate that you aren't the first person with these feelings.

There are many options out there for you to consider so don't try to convince yourself to love any of them. These are important, expensive purchases and you don't want to be left with any regret. All the best to you and keep us posted!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
100% normal
This is a virtual 100% perfectly cut stone in ASET both face up and on the side. White is leakage in this version of ASET images.
topstonetopsideaset.jpg

jjca

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU ALL! I am keeping it - I brought it into school today and it sparkled like a mini white sun. This is such a great community. Thank you all!
This is what my diamonds look like in Costco lighting! Yours should look just as lively! And the quality of this video is totally degraded compared to real life. Definitely worth a look-see.

WOW! Amazing sparkle from that one!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU ALL! I am keeping it - I brought it into school today and it sparkled like a mini white sun. This is such a great community. Thank you all!

WOW! Amazing sparkle from that one!

Enjoy every sparkle and please come back with more pics for us!!

jjca

Rough_Rock

I saw you post about the CA 35 and PA 40.8 combo on another posting - does my ASET and AGS Ideal report prove that rounding may be at play and mine is not leaking?

jjca

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if we can tag another user to take a look at our posts?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know if we can tag another user to take a look at our posts?

Yes
Type the @ sign and then username

jjca

Rough_Rock
Yes
Type the @ sign and then username

Thanks! Would you mind taking a look at my specs and pics? Is an ideal report a good indicator of leakage that will affect a stone? I don't think I notice any but the 35/40.8 combo has me a little worried. Hoping that the ASET and Ideal report are good indicators that there's not?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Would you mind taking a look at my specs and pics? Is an ideal report a good indicator of leakage that will affect a stone? I don't think I notice any but the 35/40.8 combo has me a little worried. Hoping that the ASET and Ideal report are good indicators that there's not?

Sorry, which stone? The bgd black?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results