shape
carat
color
clarity

BEFORE I MAKE A DUMB DECISION.........PLEASE HELP!! Diamond ????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blessed2beAlive

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here it is, I hope I can get some sanity.

This diamond is beyond stunning in every light. I just don''t know about the whole grading thing. After seeing tons of diamonds and some graded better than the one I will describe, this one seems the most beautiful. I can see these "sharp darts, arrows, whatever" its gorgeous. Lets see if its worth the $$$$$$$$

Round Brilliant
GIA certified
Measurements 7.94-8.01x4.97mm
Carat Weight 2.01
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade VS2

Depth 62.3%
Table 55%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick, Faceted
Culet: Very Small

Finish:
Polish Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good

Flourecence: None

Additional Info:

Crown Angle 35.5
Crown Height 16%
Pavilion Angle 40.2
Pavilion Depth 42%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 80%

Should I spend almost $20,000.00
I did look at some G''s and some I''s and none of them were as straight up gorgeous as this one. Seriously the Hearts and arrows are amazing and you can see them in every light. I saw VS1''s with ex. ex. but they were still not as nice.

I''m open for opinions and I can take the hard truth.......... just be gentle with it. HAHAHAHA

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
You''re seeing Arrows, not necessarily Hearts and Arrows.

It does fall outside of the AGS0 range, but it is under 2.0 (actually it''s 1.0) on the HCA.

If you''ve seen and you love it, then that''s the important thing no? It''s not overpriced, but it is towards the higher end of pricing for that size and specs.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sharp, dark arrows are probably due to the shallower pav angles of the stone but you seems to like that effect and it only have a marginal effect to the overall brilliance of the the stone in certain observation conditions.

Price wise looks good.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would see if you can compare this diamond to some AGS0 ( Jareds sell them) or Hearts on Fire if there is a dealer closeby to see how the diamond compares. Is the diamond from an online vendor or store jeweller?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When considering price be aware that the diamond only has the spread of a 1.85ct. You may want to compare it to diamonds of that weight instead of other 2ct options.

The concern with a pavilion this shallow, as mentioned, is that it can be extremely bright when viewed under direct lights, especially at arm's length, but is more subject to obstruction (shadow) when viewed close-up. Compare it with a near-Tolk (as Lorelei mentioned) or a well-cut 60/60 of similar size, viewing it from 8-10 inches away to see if all's still well to you.

Neither GIA or AGS would give this a top cut grade so factor that into pricing as well. Going into it with eyes wide open, the most important thing is how it looks to you through an array of conditions. If you love it and the price is fair it could be "the one."

Blessed2beAlive

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for all the great advice.

How shallow is the diamond and is it extreme enough to make a huge difference. It does turn kind of white in only one light. When in the house without lights on but just some light from what is coming thru the curtains. It still shows the arrows though very clearly.

Is the pavilion completely off or measurements completely off to make it a "bad" diamond???

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 3:04:18 PM
Author: Blessed2beAlive
Thanks for all the great advice.

How shallow is the diamond and is it extreme enough to make a huge difference. It does turn kind of white in only one light. When in the house without lights on but just some light from what is coming thru the curtains. It still shows the arrows though very clearly.

Is the pavilion completely off or measurements completely off to make it a 'bad' diamond???
It would be best if you could compare this diamond to some that I suggested above to get a better idea of how it looks. As John mentioned it is possible the diamond could show obstruction when viewed closely due to the shadow of your head/ body, shallow pavilioned diamonds can be prone to this. So check it from all angles, closeup especially and look to see if the diamond darkens very visibly. It isn't a bad diamond, just that we need to be cautious due to the shallow pavilion angle.

If you check out this video on the bottom right titled Head Obstruction, it might give you some help.

http://diamondscope.pricescope.com/

Also check the diamond out in as many different lights as you can to see how it looks in the lighting the ring will normally be worn in, that should give it a good ' test drive' also.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have seen the diamond with your own eyes so you are best able to judge the impact of the shallow pavilion.

Actually my first question would be; does it bother you to receive a diamond that faces up like a 1.85ct for a 2ct price?

Blessed2beAlive

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well........... the diamond is on its way back. I decided to return it after going to the mall and being around the house with it. It is so flat white in so many lights that I can''t stand it. It looks worse than a cloudy cz.

So I am on the search again.............. Thanks for all the help.

The final decision came because I really also don''t feel like paying for a 2 carat when I only get the look of a 1.85. Seems a waste of thousands of dollars.

If anyone knows where to get the perfect cut diamond let me know!

Thanks for all the help

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. So the diamond went from "beyond stunning in every light" & "After seeing tons of diamonds and some graded better than the one I will describe, this one seems the most beautiful. I can see these "sharp darts, arrows, whatever" its gorgeous"

to

Date: 3/6/2009 3:01:46 PM
It is so flat white in so many lights that I can''t stand it. It looks worse than a cloudy cz.

In just *three days*.
6.gif
Good luck with your search ...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 3:01:46 PM
Well........... the diamond is on its way back. I decided to return it after going to the mall and being around the house with it. It is so flat white in so many lights that I can''t stand it. It looks worse than a cloudy cz.

So I am on the search again.............. Thanks for all the help.

The final decision came because I really also don''t feel like paying for a 2 carat when I only get the look of a 1.85. Seems a waste of thousands of dollars.

If anyone knows where to get the perfect cut diamond let me know!

Thanks for all the help
I would suggest you try some of the popular PS vendors.

www.highperformancediamonds.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.whiteflash.com

www.exceldiamonds.com

www.jamesallen.com

Blessed2beAlive

Rough_Rock
Trade
It''s odd how you can finally get out of the store and get into the real light and see WHOA!!! We went in different lights and it really showed the quality. I thought we had found it, but when the new weighed off I was able to start looking at it with a clear head. At the mall it flattened out and at the house it did too. Oh well...............we all make mistakes!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 12:17:19 AM
It''s odd how you can finally get out of the store and get into the real light and see WHOA!!! We went in different lights and it really showed the quality. I thought we had found it, but when the new weighed off I was able to start looking at it with a clear head. At the mall it flattened out and at the house it did too. Oh well...............we all make mistakes!
Not to worry, you will get there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results