shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty vs Function, also Career Considerations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hello Beautiful ones! (and handsome MIWs too)

2 Questions:

Just out of curiosity how important is/was the beauty of your ring design compared to the function of actually wearing it? (Any surprises?)
I''m interested in opinions of new ring owners as well as owners of rings that have seen years of love.

my personal opinion:

I''ve seen a lot of heart-meltingly beautiful pave, mill-grained, engraved and high set rings, that I''m sure would look stunning on my hand, but am hoping for a very simple lucida bezel.
For me, the worry of loosing stones and the inconvenience of having my ring catch on things, and having to take it off would outweigh the joys of it''s beauty.
That said, I will get myself something delicate and sparkly for special occasions when I am a wealthy woman, but I want the ring from my Dearest One to be so comfortable that I never have to take it off.

Question 2:

Is anyone picking out their dream ring partly with their career dress code or working environment in mind?

e.g. if you work at a law firm do you desire a particular carat weight to fit in with your coworkers? Are there certain styles that wouldn''t work so well due to the physical constraints of your job?

opinion 2:

I''m not sure about this one - I plan to be doing community planning consulting work with a wide variety of people, so I want something simple but elegant , not too showy.

Thanks for your opinions! (Sorry if I''m repeating something that has already been discussed to death)

HD

I''m so curious the whole engagement ring culture!
(And jewelry culture in general)

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
As far as beauty goes, I like details that look delicate but are really part of the ring's construction (like the Vatche x-prongs). I don't think that would have much bearing on the "function" of the ring, and it seems doubtful that it would have an impact on the ring catching on objects.

Career considerations: I'd prefer a ring that isn't too bulky, because I spend the majority of my time typing. Although the SA at my local T&Co. is certainly good at getting me to try on 2+ ct stones!

I also bake often, but I've resigned myself to the idea that I'll just be taking my rings off for that. Nobody wants sticky dough all over a gorgeous diamond!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:26:16 PM
Author:HopeDream
2 Questions:

Just out of curiosity how important is/was the beauty of your ring design compared to the function of actually wearing it? (Any surprises?)

I'm interested in opinions of new ring owners as well as owners of rings that have seen years of love.

Question 2:

Is anyone picking out their dream ring partly with their career dress code or working environment in mind?

e.g. if you work at a law firm do you desire a particular carat weight to fit in with your coworkers? Are there certain styles that wouldn't work so well due to the physical constraints of your job?
Answer 1:
My ring was purchased with the following things in mind:
a) my lack of love for diamonds
b) my penchant for minimalism
c) my work
d) the fact that after we are married, I will only wear the engagement ring for special occasions
e) my desire for a classic (ish) solitaire
f) pairing it with the wedding band (which will be a 2mm plain WG band)

Answer 2:
No. My previous career (and perhaps my future career as well) was a pastry chef. Jewelry of any sort beyond a plain band is frowned upon for food safety reasons. At this point in my life, I do not know if I will go back to cooking, but I do know, regardless of if I do or not, I will still only wear the ring on special occasions. I am far too clumsy to risk any delicate sentimental jewelry on a daily basis.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I considered only beauty when choosing my engagement ring. I wear a 2 ct cushion set in a shared-prong eternity band. It is extremely comfortable, and it has never caught on anything, but maybe some rings are uncomfortable and often catch? I didn''t consider my career, either. I wear things because I think they''re beautiful, and I never bother to worry about what others think or expect. (I''m a high school teacher, by the way. But that didn''t really matter when I chose the ring.)

I''ve said this before, but I''ll share again:
I purchase an item because it falls into one of the following categories:
- It is exceptionally beautiful
- It is exceptionally useful
- It makes me look and feel amazing (clothing, usually)

Rings fall into the first category for me, so unless it''s beautiful, I''m not interested in wearing it. What''s the point?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
On an aesthetic level, I like really simple and classic designs for an engagement ring for myself. I don''t really care for fancy shapes, high settings, or halos. On a functional level, I wanted something with a relatively low setting because I am a grad student in biomedical research and I put on/take off gloves a lot. My ring finger is a 2.5 so sidestones are for me to pull off if the center stone is substantial.

My SO has gotten me a 2 ct round brilliant solitaire for all the reasons stated above. My stone is bigger than what I normally see amongst other grad students. SO didn''t want me to base my ring on what others have, but on what I love. He had 2cts in mind since that is normal for his work environment. I am comfortable with the size of the stone since being a grad student is not my career and I absolutely love it!

Now I am just waiting for SO to officially propose!

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
1) I love the look of pave rings, but I''m kind of clumsy with my hands, and I would be worried about knocking out a stone. Right now I think I want a solitaire, or some kind of shared prong setting.

2) I''m probably going to be a teacher, most likely in an inner-city school. For safety/modesty reasons, I''m not planning on wearing my engagement ring while going to/from work, and I don''t want to have an expensive ring, since I don''t want kids to feel bad, etc. So as a result, I don''t want to get an expensive ring that I rarely wear.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I also only considered beauty when I picked out my setting. I knew what I liked and what suited my personality. I was certain that I wanted white gold, sidestones, and a thin and delicate shank. It never even crossed my mind how wearing the ring would affect my daily life as my job isn''t extremely hands-on. Also, I didn''t want an ornate setting with extreme detail, so that probably plays a part as well!

I will say that the jeweller that made my setting definitely considered function over beauty. I originally wanted the mushroom pave-set sidestones, but (according to my FI), the stones are more prone to fall out this way, so my sidestones are bead-set. The shank and gallery is still delicate and beautiful and I guess I don''t have to be as worried about losing my diamonds!
2.gif

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 7:02:09 PM
Author: misskitty
As far as beauty goes, I like details that look delicate but are really part of the ring''s construction (like the Vatche x-prongs). I don''t think that would have much bearing on the ''function'' of the ring, and it seems doubtful that it would have an impact on the ring catching on objects.

I totally agree with this, in terms of my aesthetic. In terms of career (project management at a software company is the plan), I don''t think my ring would have much impact, but in terms of my hobbies (hiking, biking, rock-climbing, etc, etc), I definitely don''t want something delicate... and I''m also a paranoid klutz. (But while I will probably take it off 99 times that I don''t actually need to, I will of course completely forget the one I really do.)

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... not sure.

I want a solitaire, but not a high-set one because I dislike how they look in profile. A nice ring should be fine at my job (professional setting) as long as it isn''t anything truly unusual (say 2ct or above for my age).

however, I am a MAJOR gym rat. I think I will have to wear my e-ring on a necklace at the gym, or something. I lift weights, and heavy weights at that. I also love things like chin-ups (you should see the looks I get in the womens'' area at the gym, ha!) and I can imagine things like that would tear up the lovely thin band type of ring I want.

I guess we''ll see when the time comes.
2.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
1) i always loved an antique style, and it looks good on me. so, partly vanity went into picking out the style.
2) we''re using my gma''s stone, so i wanted a setting that fit well with the stone (OEC).
3) E & I picked it out together

I work at a Y, which is mostly volunteers and non profit work, but i will have no qualms with wearing my ring. its all about the work you do, not what you wear doing it.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 11:33:56 PM
Author: absolut_blonde
Hmm... not sure.

I want a solitaire, but not a high-set one because I dislike how they look in profile. A nice ring should be fine at my job (professional setting) as long as it isn''t anything truly unusual (say 2ct or above for my age).

however, I am a MAJOR gym rat. I think I will have to wear my e-ring on a necklace at the gym, or something. I lift weights, and heavy weights at that. I also love things like chin-ups (you should see the looks I get in the womens'' area at the gym, ha!) and I can imagine things like that would tear up the lovely thin band type of ring I want.

I guess we''ll see when the time comes.
2.gif
for you gym rats, rock climbers and the like, I do the same activities (chin-ups too
2.gif
) and I NEVER wear my ring!!! It has nothing to do with delicacy but there is no way I''m going to risk scratching my baby like that! My friends that have been married for 10 years however, do wear their rings to workout. I guess it''s personal preference, but I''m uber protective of my ring. I also golf in the spring/summer and I probably won''t wear it to golf either.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've been married before. I found myself taking my first engagement ring off frequently because it was not practical to wear a high setting with little kids. I was afraid of scratching the babies, and I lived on a horse farm at the time. I had one horse try to eat my diamond, and since platinum is more prone to denting than gold, it wasn't a good idea to wear it while stacking wood. That ring was a 1.52 carat radiant cut, set into a custom platinum mounting with channel set diamonds and sapphires.

This time around, I had no say in the ring whatsoever. My fiance used his mom's ring setting (a low profile delicate Harry Winston style with a tapered baguette on either side of a 6mm round diamond in a 4-prong setting), and I find that it is much more practical for my lifestyle. I only take it off when I'm going to be cleaning things that I don't want to gunk up my ring or when I bake. It may not be fancy, but it is something I can wear everyday. I also have an issue with fingers swelling and contracting throughout the day. When my fingers swell up, I find the thin shank (only about 1-1.5mm in the back at the thinnest point) to be very comfortable. When my fingers shrink, I use an insert type ring guard (old fashioned, but it works to keep the ring from spin). My fi grew up seeing the ring on his mother's hand every day, so it was important to him that I wear the ring all the time, and not just keep it in a box until special occasions like my mom did with hers.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
I consider beauty only, but I also like solid, sturdy settings that make me feel like my diamond is secure. I originally wanted to go with a very dainty, high cathedral setting but ended up choosing one a little thicker and lower. I kept other details that I couldn''t live without: milgrain, double-prongs, pave. We''ll see how that turns out since I haven''t put it to use yet!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I''m fortunate that what I like (simple, elegant solitaires) is also user-friendly. Plus I''m a teacher, so I can wear whatever size stone I want to rock.
2.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 8:38:35 AM
Author: gwendolyn
I''m fortunate that what I like (simple, elegant solitaires) is also user-friendly. Plus I''m a teacher, so I can wear whatever size stone I want to rock.
2.gif
me too (except about the teacher part
3.gif
)

I love classic, clean and simple. Although my setting now is a temp, I will probably get something very similar (platinum solitaire).

My current job is in an office so ''practicality'' is not a factor.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I picked my ring 100%....no 150% (lol) on beauty only. I designed what I find beautiful, and wanted on my finger. I guess I understand how lifestyle can play a role in what you pick, but for me, I'd rather just take it off if I am concerned (Ie: working out, baking, etc). I agree with Haven: "I wear things because I think they're beautiful, and I never bother to worry about what others think or expect."

To reiterate what I put in Adhesive's post: I cant speak from experience because he hasnt actually proposed with it yet. However, its a 2ct cushion, with a thin 3 sided pave band, set high cathedral style. I know...I know....3 sided runs the risk of damage, but I couldnt help it. I wanted bling from ALL angles! LOL

I do plan on wearing mine at work....but then again I have a job where wearing the ring wouldnt effect performance, or not be tastful. Because......I'm a WEDDING PLANNER! haha. So I dont think any bride will object to more bling in the room! lol

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 7:55:06 PM
Author: Haven
I purchase an item because it falls into one of the following categories:
- It is exceptionally beautiful
- It is exceptionally useful
- It makes me look and feel amazing (clothing, usually)
Oh Haven, me too!

Have you read the books by Karen Kingston? (a bit hippy, but lots of excellent advice on de-cluttering).

If I don''t love something or use it, it goes to a second-hand store.

Cheers!

HD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results