shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty Products You Are Loving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1435984138|3898748 said:
House Cat|1435981298|3898731 said:
House Cat|1435333582|3894765 said:
http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Potion-Skincare-Everglow-Moisturizer/dp/B002T5OBO0

Has anyone tried this stuff? It gets great reviews all over the internet and it is less than $5 at Walmart. I bought it yesterday. I am willing to be the guinea pig, but it would be nice to hear from someone on this site because our reviews seem to be much more thorough.
Worst tanner ever!

I used it for a week. No color change but now I have a case of bacne that rivals my teen years. I haven't had a breakout on my back in years!! Now to find a product to help this problem..

This is what I get for being cheap! Never again! I will just do spray tans.

Yikes! I wonder if it's because of the coconut oil? I know coconut oil causes a lot of people to break out.

Coconut oil has a high comedogenic factor. 4 I believe and that means it clogs pores and can and probably will cause breakouts for susceptible individuals.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1436011131|3898816 said:

Has anyone tried this stuff? It gets great reviews all over the internet and it is less than $5 at Walmart. I bought it yesterday. I am willing to be the guinea pig, but it would be nice to hear from someone on this site because our reviews seem to be much more thorough.
Worst tanner ever!

I used it for a week. No color change but now I have a case of bacne that rivals my teen years. I haven't had a breakout on my back in years!! Now to find a product to help this problem..

Yikes! I wonder if it's because of the coconut oil? I know coconut oil causes a lot of people to break out.

Coconut oil has a high comedogenic factor. 4 I believe and that means it clogs pores and can and probably will cause breakouts for susceptible individuals.
I'll bet that's it then. I am covered in really sore, angry red pimples all over my back and upper arms. This is awful!

I think I have used straight coconut oil on my skin. Maybe it is the mixture of coconut oil and other things that make this lotion so awful.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1436015782|3898839 said:
missy|1436011131|3898816 said:

Worst tanner ever!

I'll bet that's it then. I am covered in really sore, angry red pimples all over my back and upper arms. This is awful!

I think I have used straight coconut oil on my skin. Maybe it is the mixture of coconut oil and other things that make this lotion so awful.

Yikes!! That sucks... I don't know if you've found another self tanner, but there are three that I've found to be amazing. :love:

My favorite is Tanceuticals (http://www.tanceuticals.com/). If you are pretty fair and just want to get a little glow OR if you don't want a big difference with one application, go for Light. I had gotten the Dark because I was about to go to the beach and wanted a deeper golden bronze (I did two applications 2 days apart, and I looked like I'd been in the Caribbean for a week). I am pretty fair, but I do tan, and I LOVED this product. I highly recommend using their mitt (it's like $6) for application. I also ordered their facial tanner and loved it as well. Of all the products I've used, this had the least DHA smell (my husband swore he couldn't smell anything, and he'd tell me -- he always does). It smells like pina colada going on -- really nice! It doesn't dry as fast as some, but in about 15-20 minutes, I felt like it was dry enough. It feels like a really nice lotion that has to "soak in." I could "sort of" smell a very faint DHA smell the first couple of days after application, but once you apply lotion after showering, none whatsoever, which is not the case with most self tanners. Tanceuticals is also the longest lasting one I've ever used. If you moisturize every day, it will last for a good week (mine lasted about 9 days before I could tell it was fading). It fades pretty naturally as well. Another thing I love about it is it's really good for your skin! The only "con" is that it looks just like a lotion, so no way to tell what areas have been covered, so you have to go slow and take your time.

Another fave and close second is St. Tropez. It's a light mousse and is best for layering to achieve your desired color, because it goes on really light -- great for those who are inexperienced with application too. It lasts pretty long (about 5-6 days) and has virtually no DHA smell. It's super easy to apply, but I'd use a mitt just to be safe. It smells good and dries really fast. It's a little expensive, but really good. I get it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/St-Tropez-Self-Bronzing-Mousse/dp/B003CFB3EC).

If you are a pro at self tanner application, I'd go with Fake Bake LOTION (NOT the liquid -- it's really good, but equally really tricky). It's super easy to apply (do it with a mit), and the formula is really dark going on, so you can easily see where it's been applied. Not really a smell at all. I always get it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Fake-Bake-Original-Lotion-oz/dp/B001183N8G)

Hope that helps!

...I feel like an infomercial. HA!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1436024549|3898890 said:
I used to use St Tropez sunless tanning, which ha the least amount of that sunless tanning odor that is common with most products. I recently discovered this and I've been using it instead of the St Tropez:
http://www.sephora.com/argan-liquid-gold-self-tanning-oil-P395245?skuId=1695675
It doesn't smell quite as good as the St Tropez, but it's soooooooooo easy to use and the color is nice.

Oooohh!!! I may have to try that when mine runs out! Thanks for the recommendation! :wavey:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a self-tanner question that is probably really stupid. When you reapply, do you wait until everything has faded/scrub the old away and THEN reapply, or do you reapply over the old? I can apply it just fine the first time but I always botch the reapplication and give up.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts said:
I have a self-tanner question that is probably really stupid. When you reapply, do you wait until everything has faded/scrub the old away and THEN reapply, or do you reapply over the old? I can apply it just fine the first time but I always botch the reapplication and give up.

Not a dumb question at all! I have wondered that too...

I have found it best to reapply when you first notice it's starting to fade. However, if it's "peeling" and you can see a big difference in the "tan" and your skin, then it's best to grab a loofah and scrub it away as best you can -- at least in noticeable areas. When first applying (to white skin), I like to reapply within the first 3 days... Then, I try to reapply every 4-5 days when using a product that lasts a week... This way there's no "awkward" period and you can still gently exfoliate without having to scrub like hell to get it all off and start fresh.

Hope this helps!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1436059685|3899072 said:
distracts said:

Not a dumb question at all! I have wondered that too...

I have found it best to reapply when you first notice it's starting to fade. However, if it's "peeling" and you can see a big difference in the "tan" and your skin, then it's best to grab a loofah and scrub it away as best you can -- at least in noticeable areas. When first applying (to white skin), I like to reapply within the first 3 days... Then, I try to reapply every 4-5 days when using a product that lasts a week... This way there's no "awkward" period and you can still gently exfoliate without having to scrub like hell to get it all off and start fresh.

Hope this helps!

That's actually very helpful, thank you! I may order this Tanceuticals thing and try it - I rather liked the color I saw on people when googling it online. I currently have St. Tropez but it's very olive and doesn't look natural on me, so I generally only even bother applying it a couple of times a year.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts said:
That's actually very helpful, thank you! I may order this Tanceuticals thing and try it - I rather liked the color I saw on people when googling it online. I currently have St. Tropez but it's very olive and doesn't look natural on me, so I generally only even bother applying it a couple of times a year.

I think you'd like it. If you're very fair, start off with the Light until you feel comfortable applying it, and make sure to use the mitt and latex gloves like they suggest. I would apply on days 1, 3, and 7, then every 4th/5th day after that, as needed. [emoji41]

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1436055156|3899054 said:

I typically don't apply daily, but I apply about every other day or every few days if I'm just trying to maintain color. I've never botched a reapplication, but I don't ever go heavy when applying, so I don't seem to have issues.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I was able to score a couple of samples of ReVive's Glycolic Renewal Peel and instantly became hooked. {let me say with all due modesty that I have great skin for my age and can thank the derm who told me in my 20sto stay out of the sun and daily use of the appropriate Isomers products}.

The peel is a two-step: first you sweep a cleansing disc over your face and then apply the Glycolic Serum for 5-7 minutes. Rinse. That's it. Your skin will be tight and toned. I do this twice a month.

I initially GAGGED at the price {$300.}, but there are 30 discs and they can be cut in half without sacrificing results. The gel bottle is a generous size and will last long after you use up the discs.

I'm cheap as hell, but this is a must have for me. And if you figure $5. per facial, it's a BARGAIN! :love:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1436134538|3899286 said:
I was able to score a couple of samples of ReVive's Glycolic Renewal Peel and instantly became hooked. {let me say with all due modesty that I have great skin for my age and can thank the derm who told me in my 20sto stay out of the sun and daily use of the appropriate Isomers products}.

The peel is a two-step: first you sweep a cleansing disc over your face and then apply the Glycolic Serum for 5-7 minutes. Rinse. That's it. Your skin will be tight and toned. I do this twice a month.

I initially GAGGED at the price {$300.}, but there are 30 discs and they can be cut in half without sacrificing results. The gel bottle is a generous size and will last long after you use up the discs.

I'm cheap as hell, but this is a must have for me. And if you figure $5. per facial, it's a BARGAIN! :love:

I have used peels from Make Up Artist's Choice before - they're very good and much less expensive. http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/At-Home-Chemical-Peels_c_53.html

For daily use I use the Alpha Hydrox stuff since I can order it on Amazon. The body lotion is a godsend. I do also have the MUAC Gly-luronic and like it - I think that may be more similar to the ReVive, since it's a higher percentage of glycolic acid but not strong enough to cause your skin to actually peel, and very moisturizing. A bit strong for daily use but before I went back on adapalene I used it twice a week.

If you like the ReVive, by all means keep using it, but for what the ingredients are it's insanely expensive.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
This is great foundation:

philosophy_finder_05.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1436222204|3899645 said:
This is great foundation:

I've got a couple others here to try yet but I will keep this in mind!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
distracts|1436145920|3899340 said:
Amber St. Clare|1436134538|3899286 said:

I have used peels from Make Up Artist's Choice before - they're very good and much less expensive. http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/At-Home-Chemical-Peels_c_53.html

For daily use I use the Alpha Hydrox stuff since I can order it on Amazon. The body lotion is a godsend. I do also have the MUAC Gly-luronic and like it - I think that may be more similar to the ReVive, since it's a higher percentage of glycolic acid but not strong enough to cause your skin to actually peel, and very moisturizing. A bit strong for daily use but before I went back on adapalene I used it twice a week.

If you like the ReVive, by all means keep using it, but for what the ingredients are it's insanely expensive.

Thanks for the heads-up--I am not crazy about spending money I don't have. As soon as I finish this product I will check out your recommendations!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I recently turned 56, and really, my skin doesn't look it. I'm very fair, so sunbathing and booth tanning has never been my thing; I've never smoked; and I drink a lot of water . . . so the result is pretty good skin for my years.

At some point in my early 30s, I was a mess. Breaking out, flaky skin, irritation, the works. Went to a (old guy) dermatologist who said, "Whatever you are doing, STOP! Take off the makeup, stop using anything but a mild facial soap, don't moisturize, and drink water, water, WATER!" Best. Advice. Ever.

I had been slathering myself with goop, because, hey, wrinkles and I was 30+. Then when I would break out from the clogged pores, I would scrub too much and use harsh anti-acne stuff. He said I was over-stimulating my skin, and it did not know what to do.

What I use now, and not in any particular order, not all together, and not all each day:

Mario Badescu Acne Facial Cleanser for any whoopsies that pop up.
Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner, unless my skin seems too dry.
Mario Badescu Oil Free SPF30 Moisturizer.
(Have you noticed that I really like this line?)
Aveda Biokinetics Moisturizer, when my skin seems a bit thirstier.
Aveda Green Science Replenishing Toner, when skin seems a bit red or dry.
St. Ives Green Tea scrub for pores in the T zone, applied with a buff pad. Just enough texture, and my pores are smaller.
Also, some generic Vitamin C facial cloths (bought at BigLots) for makeup removal. No need for moisturizer at night.

What I don't do is sleep in makeup, moisturize at night, slather anti-wrinkle cream anywhere. And notice, no anti-aging products.

lemoncookie

Rough_Rock
My favorite products so far:

Skincare:
1) Su:m37 rose cleansing stick
2) Rohto Hadalabo Gokujun Hyaluronic Lotion applied when skin is still damp
3) Retin-A applied every 2 days at night

I've worn spf everyday since middle school (had horrible acne which left dark spots w/o spf):

4) Elta MD clear sunscreen
5) Topix Citrix spf 40

Makeup:
1) Physician Formula healthy wear SPF 50 powder - leaves an airbrush finish
2) Nars Schiap lipstick - perfect fuchsia!
3) Jane Iredale Lip Plumper in Tokyo- my favorite lipcolor
4) Kat Von D tattoo liquid eyeliner- my eyes are very watery and this doesn't run
5) Anastasia dipbrow pomade
6) Bare Escentuals concealer powder with spf 20- great coverage

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I finally remembered to try the IT cosmetics CC cream today. A little goes a long way--oops. But, I got the fair color, which is the lightest and it seems to be good w/the rest of me-I went out a bit ago and looked in the mirror in the truck and if there was a color difference it was not noticeable.

I'm hesitant about it only b/c of the SPF in it-I'm never in the sun so it seems like overkill and another way to clog my pores.

I used the MAC Matchmaster foundation-the 2.0 was so dark when I pumped it out on the back of my hand I didn't even try to put it on my face. The 1.5 is still too dark. Not sure if I will try the 1.0 or not..if it's too light I can mix it w/the 1.5, but not sure yet. I knew when I ordered I should've gotten the 1.0 and 1.5 instead of the 1.5 and 2.0. Dangit!

I used the brown mascara and that pinky crayon under my brows and liked those.

Still have the lightest color in the UD Naked foundation to try, and then will go thru the thread again and see any others that might work..the one Holly listed above is one.

Tried the UD de-slick setting spray. I have THE oiliest skin ever, I swear. And it's worse now b/c I've been off hormonal birth control for 3 or 4 months. My skin was crap-tastic when I was *on* hormonal birth control and ohhhh my word---I'm being transported back to the skin I had when I was on Accutane 3 or 4 different times. It's AWFUL. I remember the first time I went on it, the dermatologist had to keep increasing my dosage, so I weighed 100# and was on dosage for 200-240# b/c my oil glands are so insane, and that was the dosage I stayed at the other times I was on it. Being almost 41 and dealing w/this is wearing on me. But I won't do Accutane again so I'm pretty much stuck.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I'm 42 years old and I hardly ever wear makeup anymore (mostly due to laziness) unless it is a special occasion. I went to an event on July 4th and because I knew I would be out all day, I actually made the effort. While at the event, I was hit on by a very, very cute 22 year old who thought I was 19. This is a look I will definitely be repeating:

Primer - Benefit Porefessional

Foundation - Benefit The Big Easy (like a BB cream, but is cream to powder and lasts all day)

Eyeshadows and Blush: tarte Poppy Picnic Limited-Edition Amazonian Clay Eye & Cheek Palette (a very neutral palette that doesn't look that exciting, but gives a very pretty finished look. Tarte eyeshadows have virtually no fall out when applied)

Brows - Brow Power Universal Eyebrow Pencil

Finishing Powder - Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Luminous Light (I have very large patches of melasma and this blurs them out and softens my fine lines)

Mascara - Benefit They're Real

Lips - NYX Butter Balm in Ladyfingers (cheap as hell but so pretty and moisturizing - available at ULTA)

Hair - Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave-in Conditioning Spray (sprayed on wet and then air dried - leaves your hair frizz free and feeling like silk).

I got home at 2 AM and my face looked almost exactly the same as when first applied.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My sister in Vancouver loved the way Olaplex "transformed" her damaged hair. That extra charge was $30 and the (step 3) conditioner $43.00.

The take home conditioner where I live is $35 and the additional cost for in salon treatment is $30-40. My hair is really healthy so I will decide next time I go if I would benefit from it or not.

cheers--Sharon

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1436475731|3901009 said:
I finally remembered to try the IT cosmetics CC cream today. A little goes a long way--oops. But, I got the fair color, which is the lightest and it seems to be good w/the rest of me-I went out a bit ago and looked in the mirror in the truck and if there was a color difference it was not noticeable.

I'm hesitant about it only b/c of the SPF in it-I'm never in the sun so it seems like overkill and another way to clog my pores.
The SPF is worth it, I think. If you miss a spot with any SPF you put on prior this is an added helper.

canuk-gal|1436896913|3902752 said:
HI:

My sister in Vancouver loved the way Olaplex "transformed" her damaged hair. That extra charge was $30 and the (step 3) conditioner $43.00.

The take home conditioner where I live is $35 and the additional cost for in salon treatment is $30-40. My hair is really healthy so I will decide next time I go if I would benefit from it or not.

cheers--Sharon
I LOVE Olaplex. But wow that's pricey up there! Both of the girls that do my hair use it, and i have some at home (step 3, and her starter trial kit that one of them got for me to do a full strengthening treatment prior to my last round of highlights--she had bought full sizes and wasn't using the trial set.) Best thing that has been invented in a LONG time.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ended up taking the CC cream back yesterday. The woman said it was too bad b/c she loves it..then she asked if I have oily skin (I admit to wanting to be like um, duh? look at my face-it about drips off!), I said yes, and she said CC creams are too hydrating and will make my skin more oily, so to look at BB creams instead. So, I don't know if that's true or not but I've been browsing them anyway to give it a whirl. There's a Dr. Jart one I think looks promising.

I'm also looking for a brown mascara-one that isn't black-brown or brown-black, just a regular brown. I took the Benefit one back b/c it stayed so wet and sticky it took forever to comb thru so I looked like I had three spiky lashes.

I am liking the clarisonic so far tho.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1436900459|3902775 said:
packrat|1436475731|3901009 said:

The SPF is worth it, I think. If you miss a spot with any SPF you put on prior this is an added helper.

canuk-gal|1436896913|3902752 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon
I LOVE Olaplex. But wow that's pricey up there! Both of the girls that do my hair use it, and i have some at home (step 3, and her starter trial kit that one of them got for me to do a full strengthening treatment prior to my last round of highlights--she had bought full sizes and wasn't using the trial set.) Best thing that has been invented in a LONG time.

These were my sisters words...EXACTLY! What about using the conditioner alone? Do they work in tandem?

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1436909478|3902840 said:
I ended up taking the CC cream back yesterday. The woman said it was too bad b/c she loves it..then she asked if I have oily skin (I admit to wanting to be like um, duh? look at my face-it about drips off!), I said yes, and she said CC creams are too hydrating and will make my skin more oily, so to look at BB creams instead. So, I don't know if that's true or not but I've been browsing them anyway to give it a whirl. There's a Dr. Jart one I think looks promising.

I'm also looking for a brown mascara-one that isn't black-brown or brown-black, just a regular brown. I took the Benefit one back b/c it stayed so wet and sticky it took forever to comb thru so I looked like I had three spiky lashes.

Would you consider wearing burgundy? I really love YSL mascara. While they do have a brown...they have other colors that might suit.

http://www.yslbeautyus.com/eyes/mascara

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1436909953|3902843 said:

Would you consider wearing burgundy? I really love YSL mascara. While they do have a brown...they have other colors that might suit.

http://www.yslbeautyus.com/eyes/mascara

cheers--Sharon

I'd totally wear burgundy! I have blue eyes so I think that would be a pretty combination. Thanks for the tip!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have some things in my cart at Sephora, and one of them is the Stila Grace shadow. I got Kitten a couple weeks ago. Do you guys think Grace would look good w/it? I was going to use it as the crease color. http://www.sephora.com/eye-shadow-P8431?skuId=1330489

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have oily skin and BB creams melt off too. As a matter of fact, to apply them is a pain. They always settle in my pores wrong and look sort of wiped on. I have tried my foundation brush, sponges, my fingers...nothing works. Then I was told to blend powder into them, but that just means that my face looks caked on. To be honest, fifteen minutes later, my face is melting and all of the hard work of applying the BB isn't worth it anyway.

If you are oily, Urban Decay makes a spray called De-Slick. This stuff is AMAZING! You can buy a trial sized bottle at ulta and sephora. I spray it on my face before makeup and after. It is the only think that I have found that actually keeps the oil at bay for any amount of time. If you don't spray it on your face before makeup, it doesn't work half as good.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Did you not use powder to set the CC? I have to use powder or it won't stay on. My skin doesn't get more oily if I am moisturizing it properly, it's when I don't moisturize it at all.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just put the CC cream on and then waited a bit and put my foundation on, then the bye bye pores powder. I did get that UD Deslick stuff, and I sprayed it after my foundation and then again after my powder. I was still oily the two times I used it but I don't know if it was b/c it doesn't work for me or b/c of the CC cream. I'll try it w/out the CC cream and see how it works. And I'll get a powder to put on to set the BB cream I have in my Sephora cart--does it need to be a setting powder? Can I put the cream on, use the Deslick, then foundation and Deslick again, or is powder better to put on the cream?

I swear I need to have a degree to figure out how to do this.

I have an appointment tomorrow to run up to the big city and talk to an esthetician about my face. This place does the Skin Medica peels, which is the kind I'd done before years ago but at a different place, and they also do a laser peel. She said it's 4-8 microns, depending, and it's the equivalent of 4-8 chemical peels. The cost is better in the long run for the laser but the consult will help the esthetician figure out what's better for me. I've had about all I can take of my skin and my face.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1436932861|3902986 said:
I have some things in my cart at Sephora, and one of them is the Stila Grace shadow. I got Kitten a couple weeks ago. Do you guys think Grace would look good w/it? I was going to use it as the crease color. http://www.sephora.com/eye-shadow-P8431?skuId=1330489

Yeah, I think Grace looks like a really pretty color that would go well! I do a combo of colors very close to that for everyday no matter which palette I pick up.

re: oiliness, I know you've said you went on accutane, so I may be totally off on this suggestion, but do you have dehydrated skin? When skin is dehydrated it produces like twenty million times more oil than usual - I fixed my extreme oil slick problem by switching up my moisturizing routine until I found something that moisturized my skin enough. But I do know that this isn't the case for everyone. For me, at any rate, using any anti-oil anything just made my skin even oilier. Like that deslick spray totally backfired on me, lol.

The number one thing that helped my skin, other than an adapalene prescription which is what finally kicked the butt of the cystic acne issues, was visiting the skincareaddiction subreddit and reading everything I could get my hands on. The subreddit was founded to be a place for skincare with a scientific basis, and originally you had to cite a peer-reviewed scientific study basically any time you recommended anything to support the ingredients. It's veered away from that in recent years as it's gotten busier and busier but it's still super helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results