Bead Set versus V-Step/Fishtail Pave

What do you prefer?

• Bead Set Pave

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • V-Set / Fishtail Pave

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
We are having trouble decieding between bead set and v-step pave. I have looked through the archives and saw photos of both - I really like both styles. Originally, I thought I liked v-step more and that was my preference. After looking more, I am just not so sure anymore! I have noticed that some of Leon's recent work is v-step.

1) What are the pros and cons for each?
2) Is there a price difference? - I was told that v-step costs more in terms of labor.
3) What do you think would look better on a Daniel K split crown type setting?

PaveTypes.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like fishtail pave myself...but that''s because I don''t love the ridge on the edge of bead set. I would vote for that personally.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LynnB has a beautiful set from Whiteflash. It was the first time I saw fishtail pave and I love it! I hope she doesn''t mind me posting a photo....

TheReset15876.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Well, here''s the reason I like the bead set best: you can have the sides engraved. Or pave''d. And the edge millgrained, too. Fishtail, you''re stuck with the plain side view. I prefer ornate/intereting profile views, so that''s why I much prefer bead set.

However, the fishtail is pretty too... it gives more of an illusion of a floating halo of diamonds with no metal visible from the top, and the diamonds are more defined individually. It also looks a bit more delicate. It is also slightly more modern looking to my eye, too, having never seen an antique set with the V set pave.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My preference is for the fishtail pave. I love the vintage look, but most of all the comfortable feel! The beadset can bother my fingers. Have you had a chance to try on both?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I didn''t pay much attention when I was looking at settings. I guess we have to head back to the jewelry stores before we make a decision.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for fishtail pave!!! For me, the look is more bling and less metal!
30.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The v-step appeals more to me. I do not like high up set diamonds with loads of detail under the diamond like the first example has.

Have you tried both on in person?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Is the Tiffany Novo - bead set?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I want to thank everyone for your suggestions. We have decided to go with v-step pave.

Over the weekend, I compared my friend's Tiffany Novo to my beadset pave rings and my preference is for the v-step. Like Neatfreak mentioned above, I am also not a fan of the ridges the bead set creates. If I was making a more antique looking ring, I would go for beadset for sure. We also spoke to Maytal and she showed us photos of her v-step and it is gorgeous. It is very similar to the Tiffany Novo v-step which is what I always liked (I guess she did work there before so it makes sense that they are similar).

I might change my mind since I do want engraving on the side which might not be possible with v-step as mentioned above. Maytal's v are actually really tiny so maybe...

Now - on to the next decision. Halo or no halo.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh quick question because I like both- Which is more secure/ catches on things less? =) sorry to *threadjack*

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more vote for the v-step/fishtale.

puravida

Shiny_Rock
My vote goes to the fishtail/v-step.

I''m also deciding between either fishtail or bead set. UPon searching the forum I found this thread that compares Michael B rings in fishtail/v-step and bead set pave.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/michael-b-princess-rings-style-differences.44948/

Seemed like that most people liked the bead set better. But I find it hard to tell from the pics posted in that thread.

Anyone have any better pics to post?

The ones used for comparison in this thread, I feel, are comparing two totally different rings. But the thread I posted here compares rings from the same collection, only diff is one is bead set and one is fishtail (okay, one is a teesny bit wider).

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Personally I like the bead set a bit more. It just feel sturdier to me. I''m fairly rough with my hands and with the other I''d be freaking out about the "unprotected" stones.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This was a very old thread from October :) We decided to go with v-step.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2008 2:16:21 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
This was a very old thread from October :) We decided to go with v-step.
Haha! I didn''t even notice the dates when I responded!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2008 2:59:19 PM
Author: Maisie
LynnB has a beautiful set from Whiteflash. It was the first time I saw fishtail pave and I love it! I hope she doesn''t mind me posting a photo....

I realize that this is an older thread, but I just now saw it, and I wanted to assure Miss Maisie that OF COURSE I don''t mind her posting a photo of my ring! Silly girl! Can you spell H-O-N-O-R-E-D?! Seriously! Thanks, girlfriend!

Lynn

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's hard, because they are SUCH different looks--but I prefer the fishtail pave, personally (which is a bit blasphemous, as a bead-set ering owner
3.gif
). I'm glad you ended up choosing that!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to throw another option into the mix, but there''s also a type of setting called "mushroom-set."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results