shape
carat
color
clarity

Bay area CA reputable jeweler recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
Wondering if anyone knows of a reputable jeweler in the bay area (SF) of CA? I would prefer a brick & mortar store to be able to touch & feel the diamond & setting, but reputable online would also be OK.

I have been to the SF jewelry Mart & there are so many jewelers there, it''s difficult to choose. Also, want to be sure they are reputable. A couple of my friends have bought jewelry at Tiffany''s, but I am afraid that''s too expensive for us.

Any thoughts?

Thank you & Happy New Year!!
emmoon.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, there are a few.

It depends what you are looking for.

Joe Escrobar in Campbell is the first one that springs to mind. As long as you give them specs for the stones you want, they should be able to source for you. They have a lovely selection of settings too.

If you are looking for anything vintage or antique I'd say Langs in SF without question.

One of my favorite jewelers is in Palo Alto Darren MCClug... they are pricey but, GOD, there is so much eye candy in that store!
http://www.darrenmcclung.com/

HONESTLY, if I were buying a center stone, I would use one of the online jewelers on here. You just get a better deal, and more information.

If I was looking for a round: Wink's for Infinity Stones or Dutton's Diamonds for Infinity stones. Or Whiteflash, or Goodoldgold. Or Pearlmans. Preference given to vendor with best upgrade policy.

If I was looking for a cushion: Engagement Rings Direct or Pearlmans.

If I was looking for an EC or Asscher: GoodOldGold or Engagementringsdirect

If I was looking for any other fancy: Pearlmans or Engagement Rings Direct or GoodoldGold.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
If you are going for a center stone, I would go with Gypsy''s recommendations.

If you are possibly looking for an estate piece, go have a look at Gleim''s in Palo Alto. I found my big EC [6.39 carat center] at the Stanford Shopping Center branch. It is a fabulous stone. You may want to have a look there.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto all of Gypsy''s suggestions - Lang''s is SPECTACULAR for antique stuff, but the online vendors really are the best for ideal center stones, IMO...

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy knows her stuff!!!

The ring on my avatar was purchased from Lang's in San Francisco.

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate all your input here - it helps to get knowledgeable feedback!

One more question - is there a particular online diamond vendor you think would be best?
I am looking for the best quality for the price.

Desired Stone Characteristics:
I would like a 1 carat center stone (GIA certified), preferably D or E color (maybe F if ideal cut) & best clarity possible, minimum SI1 or SI2. Prefer triple Ex (Excellent cut, symmetry & polish), cut is most important - 1A, H&A & high HCA best. No flurescence or culet. Basically, the best cut stone & radiance possible for as reasonable a price possible.

Would like to stay under $5000 for the primary stone, if possible. Let me know if that is unreasonable. I am willing to sacrifice on clarity to save some money, since it''s a round & plan to put it in a bezel halo setting.

I have searched many online sites & not sure which are reputable. Are you familiar with www.jddiamonds.com? They seem to have very good prices & decent quality GIA certified diamonds.

Thank you!

cara

Ideal_Rock
My ering and wedding band were from Joe Escobar in Campbell, and I can recommend them... I had a few miscommunications with salespeople along the way as it turned out I needed to custom order a wedding band to match my engagement ring (and that wasn't initially clear) but they did right by me in the end, including a nice discount when then didn't have to. My husband bought his wedding band from Gleim and that was also a pleasant shopping experience. I second Gypsy... buy your center stone online if you can but I feel good about purchasing rings from local stores when they provide the (very useful) service of stocking sample rings.

lightningbug

Shiny_Rock
I love Eric Trabert Goldsmiths, in Pacific Heights. Eric and his staff are fantastic; both of my rings came from him and I can''t recommend him highly enough!

The address is 2420 Fillmore St. For some reason I can''t access his website right now, but its usually www.erictrabert.com.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Love that GOG stone that was posted.

Question for you - have you seen stones in these colors in person? I ask because you may not be as color-sensitive as you think (very few people are in truly well-cut stones), and going down to a G or even an H would really let you stretch your budget much further.

Also, if you''re local, you should check out the next Bay Area PS GTG - there''s a thread over in Hangout about it - we''d love to see you there, and you could check out some ideal-cut stones in different colors in person there
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 7:43:39 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Love that GOG stone that was posted.

Question for you - have you seen stones in these colors in person? I ask because you may not be as color-sensitive as you think (very few people are in truly well-cut stones), and going down to a G or even an H would really let you stretch your budget much further.

Also, if you''re local, you should check out the next Bay Area PS GTG - there''s a thread over in Hangout about it - we''d love to see you there, and you could check out some ideal-cut stones in different colors in person there
1.gif
Ditto. I''ve got to agree. I have an F and in a step cut... and I thought I was color sensitive around the time it was purchased (I wasn''t there when it was purchased) so G or higher was my request. Turns out I''m just badly cut stone sensitive, because I can completely tolerate ''lower'' colors-- ESPECIALLY in ideal rounds.

And, actually, even when I detect warmth... it doesn''t bother me at all, as long as the stone is well cut.

aVogueIdea

Rough_Rock
You might want to take a look at Toppers in Burlingame. My boyfriend and I went there (we are still in the shopping phase too) and found them to be very helpful. Their prices seemed to be pretty close to the online vendors I have seen too (We are looking at EC''s so I am not sure how their pricing compares in rounds).

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much! So, I think I''ve narrowed it down to two choices for my 1 carat diamond for my engagement ring. Here are the stats for each. Wondering which one you think would be the most beautiful & the better deal? Price is pretty close - just slight differences in color, clarity & dimensions.

1) ROUND 1.01 carats
D color
SI1 clarity
GIA certified
62.5 depth
54 table
Medium to slightly thick girdle
No culet
Excellent polish
Excellent symmetry
N fluorescence
Excellent cut
6.39*6.44*4.01 dimensions
notes: GIA 3X SI1++
price: $5,680.24
told this is -24% off Rap

2) ROUND 1.00 carat
E color
VS2 clarity
GIA certified
61.0 depth
58 table
Medium girdle
No culet
Excellent polish
Excellent symmetry
No fluorescence
Excellent cut
6.42*6.45*3.93 dimensions
notes: *3X
price: $5,810.00
told this is -30% off Rap

Thank you!!!
Breanna

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...first one is a little deep. Do you have Idealscope images of either stone? That would help us to more effectively help you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Breanna, I see that you mention how much "off rap" each of these are... before you purchase please avail yourself of the many tools on here. Among them... threads discussing the validity of "rap" pricing... and how it can be used to trick the average consumer and also the "Prices" tab at the top of this screen to type in what a similar stone (and occassionally the same exact stone) is going for at different vendors.

These tools will better empower you to make a confident decision. And I agree the first one is too deep.

But really we don't have enough information. At the least we need crown and pavillion angles for those stones. A certificate number would be great, cause we could look it up as well.

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
I do not have idealscope images of either stone. However, I do have the crown & pavilion angles for the first one - the D color stone. The crown % is 35.0 degrees & the pavilion angle is 40.8 degrees.

Also, I received some pictures of the top one, including the GIA certificate. Think the cert. # is 306950701, if I''m reading from the certificate correctly.

I will attempt to post these photos/documents in another note here.....

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
GIA Certificate

GIA Certificate for D 1.01.jpg

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
I have checked the HCA on the first stone, the D color & it got Excellent, Excellent, Excellent & Very Good on spread. Also, when I checked a price comparison of similar stones on this site, it brought up a few 1-1.01 carat D stones with excellent cut with VS2 clarity (slightly higher than the stone above), but the prices are above $9000. So, for the price, I am feeling fairly confidant I am getting a good deal.

Just wanted to compare to the second stone (E color) above, but don''t have the same info for that one.

Oh well - think I''m cool with the first one, even though it may be a bit deep. It gets high ratings on the tools on this site, which helps me have more peace of mind, without seeing it in person.

Thank you alll!!

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
OK, think I was wrong about the GIA certificate # of the D diamond above - believe it is actually 803-419.

Thoughts?

THANK YOU!

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
and, think the second diamond listed above has GIA certificate #: 802-084.

I''m not sure how to look up more detailed specs for these. Can you tell me how? or, let me know your thoughts which is a better stone?

Thank you so much!
Breanna

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So.

You''ve seen the D stone. Liked it? Confirmed that the SI stone is eyeclean? Or if you haven''t seen it in person, you''ve confirmed that it''s eyeclean, and asked the vendor what their definition of eyeclean is (how many inches away... etc) and you know what clarity is measured table UP, so you might see some inclusions from the side? RIGHT?

It gets a 1.7 on the HCA and is within AGS ideal range.

You have done a price comparision and are comfortable that you are getting a good deal.

The only issue is that it is a bit deep... but it''s NOT a visible difference between 6.5 (''ideal'' spread) and 6.4. At all.

So... no issue at all.

I think you are good to go on the D if eyeclean.

As for the E-- I''m too lazy to look up the (possible) GIA certificate (you can on the GIA site) and get the specs for it. If you post them... you''re on your road to figuring this out admirably. But of course we are happy to help if you post the #''s. Some of us are just... tired and lazy. LOL.

BUT... really that D looks like it''s got all you wanted. No reason that I see not to go for it (providing the eyclean issue is resolved).

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
Muchos gracias, Gypsy!!!

Yes, in fact, the jeweler assured me it''s eye clean over the phone. He told me it looks more like a VS1 from any angle. He said it''s a very high SI1. Plus, I plan to have it set in a bezel halo, so do not expect to get much side angle viewing, anyhow.

I have not seen it in person, since it''s in NY & I''m in the bay area. I''m going on gut & trusting he''s an honest jeweler - Leon Mege, he was also refered to me on pricescope. So, I feel very confidant it''s a great stone.

I may research the E stone a bit, but think I''m going with my first impression for the D.

Really appreciate the advice!

~ Breanna

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
oops, I meant it looks more like VS2. Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 2:52:01 AM
Author: Yogachick
Muchos gracias, Gypsy!!!

Yes, in fact, the jeweler assured me it''s eye clean over the phone. He told me it looks more like a VS1 from any angle. He said it''s a very high SI1. Plus, I plan to have it set in a bezel halo, so do not expect to get much side angle viewing, anyhow.

I have not seen it in person, since it''s in NY & I''m in the bay area. I''m going on gut & trusting he''s an honest jeweler - Leon Mege, he was also refered to me on pricescope. So, I feel very confidant it''s a great stone.

I may research the E stone a bit, but think I''m going with my first impression for the D.

Really appreciate the advice!

~ Breanna
The stone is a Leon stone? You''re fine-- IMO, man''s got an amazing eye. But, beware his return policy. Last I checked there wasn''t one on custom peices... but I don''t know what his policy is on center stones. Just an FYI.

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
Well, I''m hoping it''s just a glitch, but when I enter both diamonds'' GIA certification numbers on the GIA website, no matches come up. Wonder if I''m doing something wrong - hope so...... I''m fairly confidant I have the right cert. numbers (jeweler calls them stock numbers, but found the first one on another diamond search site & it shows the cert as 803-419).

Here are the numbers:

803-419
802-084

I really want to confirm these diamonds are actually GIA certified before purchasing either.
Maybe I''ll contact GIA tomorrow - I''m tired.....

Cheers!

Yogachick

Rough_Rock
OK, not sure if anyone is interested, but I did get the certificate # for the D stone, so I feel sure about it now. #s above were stock #s, not cert. #s.

Thanks for all your help!
I just sent my check for the D diamond.

Cheers,
Breanna

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS!
36.gif

How are you going to set it, and is Leon doing your setting?

Please post pics for us of the finished ring! I''d love to see the final product!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results