shape
carat
color
clarity

Battrery powered gold watch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone, I was kindly directed over here.

My skin corrodes most watches, so I''m going to try a 14k gold watch and see if it will last a little longer.

I''m not practiced in the art of remembering to wind a watch, so I''m looking for a battery powered one.

Anyone have experience with the Geneve or Vicence brands?

They seem to be the only ones I can find that do a battery-powered (quartz) gold watch.

I have a low budget ($300 or less), so I''ve been searching ebay.

I''ve been looking for something simple with a gold case and leather strap.

Thanks!

HD

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
My mother had a similar problem as you. Have you tried a kinetic, automatic or solar powered watch? They do not require typical batteries. I have both but honestly my preference is the solar watch since I don''t have to reset the time every time I opt not to wear it for a few days.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 5:21:39 PM
Author:HopeDream

Hi Everyone, I was kindly directed over here.

My skin corrodes most watches, so I''m going to try a 14k gold watch and see if it will last a little longer.

I''m not practiced in the art of remembering to wind a watch, so I''m looking for a battery powered one.

Anyone have experience with the Geneve or Vicence brands?.Also

They seem to be the only ones I can find that do a battery-powered (quartz) gold watch.

I have a low budget ($300 or less), so I''ve been searching ebay.

I''ve been looking for something simple with a gold case and leather strap.

Thanks!

HD
hello!,
one thing that may help is terminology.When looking for a watch it will be helpful to use the term ''quartz'' rather then battery-powered.Also keep in mind that batterys were not put into watches until 1969,so it will be manual(hand wind)before then.You will want to be careful about making sure you are getting solid 14kt gold rather then gold plated...the main bulk of quart movement watches are gold plated and so the seller must know their watch!Im pretty sure you can find a solid gold watch on strap in your range...it may take time
31.gif
(pun intended)to find a newer one in good condition that has a decent running movement(you want a newer quartz movement within the last 10 years)....Geneve is a fair more affordable watch(but keep in mind they have also produced gold plated watches in the past).Good luck and keep us informed.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the term correction! Quartz sounds much slicker than "battery powered"

My dear and much appreciated BF bought me a watch for an early birthday present, so I''m taking a 14k Geneve mini-watch for a test-run. (The official gold watch of starving students
2.gif
).

I was picky about the numbers not being dashes, so we went with a model that had Roman numerals.

My wrist is on the smaller side, so it doesn''t look silly.

You can get a solid 14k quartz mini Geneve for $219 (or less!) on ebay (astounding!)

The watch does feel quite light (so you do get what you pay for) and ticks once a minute vs my old timex''s 60 ticks per minute.

I''ll check back in a few months and tell you how well she''s held up so far.

454geneve1.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice watch! I hope this works out for you!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Thanks VRBeauty!

I hope so too.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 3:08:20 AM
Author: HopeDream
Hi,

Thanks for the term correction! Quartz sounds much slicker than ''battery powered''

My dear and much appreciated BF bought me a watch for an early birthday present, so I''m taking a 14k Geneve mini-watch for a test-run. (The official gold watch of starving students
2.gif
).

I was picky about the numbers not being dashes, so we went with a model that had Roman numerals.

My wrist is on the smaller side, so it doesn''t look silly.

You can get a solid 14k quartz mini Geneve for $219 (or less!) on ebay (astounding!)

The watch does feel quite light (so you do get what you pay for) and ticks once a minute vs my old timex''s 60 ticks per minute.

I''ll check back in a few months and tell you how well she''s held up so far.
Ive sold this exact style of watch before!This style was huge popular in the 1980s and Geneve is a watch company that was represented by alot of chain and mid-priced jewelry companys back in the day.This watch retailed for 295-495 depending on the growing cost of gold at the time(todays market would be around $495.00)The style of watch was in every watch line from Seiko(gold plate was $195) to Tiffany(their version in gold was about $595)in the 1980s and today is still considered a classic,with the for mentioned companies still carrying the watch in their catologs.Ithink you did just fine with the $219 price tag...is the back of the watch gold or stainless steel?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jewelerman !

The back of the watch is gold and stamped 14k 0.585.

I haven't opened the watch up yet because I'm afraid of scratching it, so I'm not sure what it says on the inside. ( I'll wait until either the battery dies or it develops a patina first)

Bf paid a small premium for the numerals instead of the plain dashes, so the watch was more than $219, but less than $295 ( I think we got a good deal so I'm happy).

The infomation about the history of this style is very interesting. It's nice to know it's kind of a classic.

I feel like I'm realy bucking the trend of the current giant watch craze.

cheers,

HD

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
im glad you found one with an all gold back(many times the backs are stainless steel to keep price down)Whats nice about this watch is that you can change the color of the strap to be trendy.Ive seen this watch with a black(my favorite),brown,blue,red and white strap.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you found something you could wear. It's very classic looking.
9.gif

Base metals used in many older watches bother my skin. But I can wear watches made with surgical stainless steel. Maybe you'd be able to wear them too?!

HTH

edited for clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results