shape
carat
color
clarity

Battle Of The Titans!!! -err, Diamonds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

samkongado

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I think I''ve narrowed my choices down to two diamonds, although I''m going to list four. The first two are in my price range, and the second two stretch it a little bit... BUT... if either the 3rd or 4th would be a much better choice then I could be willing to go for it. My criteria is pretty much the same as everyone else here on PS- the best looking diamond for the best price. As long as it "looks good" I don''t mind having inclusions or lower color grade etc. I want the one that will look best to the naked eye in everyday life. I''m no expert on diamonds, not even close, and neither is my girlfriend, so whatever is the most eye-candyish diamond is the one I want!

So here''s our contenders (drum roll please):

#1 http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948524.htm

#2 http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5129803

And here''s our "runners-up" the ones that are a little beyond my price range but I could be willing to splurge if you think it would make a big difference

#3 http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1879179.htm

#4 http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948522.htm

Ok, so let''s get some opinions rolling!! Once again, thank you all so much in advance for your help and input. These forums have no doubt saved me a lot of money and kept me from buying a crappy diamond. Keep on Pricescopin''! :)

-SG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
#3, if eye clean looks great. It''s the biggest of the 4. I also like #1 a lot. #2 I''m not loving the depth. #4 looks great too. I''d call and see if #3 is eye clean. Good luck, you''re off to a very good start. The expert selection is a great way to go. Great cut and a great value.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I would probably go with #1. #3 look nice, but if you want to stay in your price range, #1 will most likely be just as nice.

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
The #1 listed looks very nice.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
If I were to pick, #3 is my favorite out of them all. But #1 is a close second choice.

samkongado

Rough_Rock
I agree that for the money, #1 seems awesome... but... it''s that nagging little "J" color that keeps me from diving in right away. My preference was to get an H and potentially even an I, but to go down to J worries me a little. Now granted I''m far from an expert, and heck I''ve never even seen a "J" compared to an "H." I''ve never even seen a J in person so I don''t know what it looks like. And I''m not that picky nor is my girlfriend, but I really prefer not to have a yellow taint to it. Would a J still look really good?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Color has been talked aobut many times on this forum. Some people would be bothered by the color in a J (like me for example), and some would not. The only way to tell is to look at some diamonds in person. Go to a jewelry store and ask to see some well-cut J colored diamonds and compare them to higher colored diamonds. Then you''ll know if you can tolerate the slight tint that is present in J''s.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Just be sure you are truly comparing apples to apples. The mediocre cut, J colored stones I have seen in the mall and other B&Ms are NOT what my super-ideal cut J looks like. Not even CLOSE!

samkongado

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 12:39:56 PM
Author: Lynn B
Just be sure you are truly comparing apples to apples. The mediocre cut, J colored stones I have seen in the mall and other B&Ms are NOT what my super-ideal cut J looks like. Not even CLOSE!
So Lynn, are you saying you are just as satisfied with the J as you might be with an H? Like I said, I really am a complete beginner when it comes to looking at diamonds other than saying "oooh that one is pretty." Thanks to PS I''ve become knowledgable about specs and what to look for, but when it comes down to seeing the diamond itself I''m totally clueless.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 12:39:56 PM
Author: Lynn B
amen sister!

i like #1
3.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
My choice would definitely be #1 for the budget or #3 if you were willing to stretch. #2 is too deep IMO.
Do you have a Jareds or Heltzberg in your area? They have superideals in their stores where you could compare colors of nicely cut stones. Heltzberg calls their selection "masterpiece" (lol...way over priced too lol)...they are GIA graded. Jared has the AGS stones and will show you the certificate with no problems. Before purchasing my ideal RB I went looking at these stores so I could see the difference. I didn't flat out tell them I wasn't buying from them just told them I was getting an upgrade and shopping around for ideal diamonds. When they knew I was educated about ideal cuts then they became much more serious in trying to sell me a diamond.
Good luck. I'm color sensitive so for me I'd have to see anything lower than an H but the lady at Heltzberg did show me an 'I' and it looked pretty white to me
1.gif

samkongado

Rough_Rock
I went to a local jewelery store yesterday to check out some diamonds, unfortunately they didn''t have a huge selection. I got to see a couple ideal cut stones and one of them was a K color, which was too yellow for my liking. I wonder how different the J would look? Any other thoughts here?

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
The J will be fine...trust me! To repeat what Lynn said earlier, it''s hard to compare the stones in the mall jewelry store to what you will be getting from WF''s Expert Selection.

When you went to your local jeweler...were the stones ideal cut? Were they graded by AGS? If not, then you may be in a whole other ballpark.

I own an Expert Selection, ideal cut, K and it doesn''t look yellow at all. I only see slight warmth in some lighting conditions. Most of the time it looks very white.

samkongado

Rough_Rock
Well, I pulled the trigger and went with option # 1

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948524.htm

I'm pretty sure the color won't bother me, although that's why they have the return policy right??

Also, not that it matters now, but is this considered an AGS 000? I don't know how a diamond qualifies for that distinction, but it sure sounds nice and will look nice!

Thanks for all your opinions! I'm sure my soon-to-be-fiance also says thank you!
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 12:10:13 PM
Author: samkongado

Well, I pulled the trigger and went with option # 1

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948524.htm

I''m pretty sure the color won''t bother me, although that''s why they have the return policy right??

Also, not that it matters now, but is this considered an AGS 000? I don''t know how a diamond qualifies for that distinction, but it sure sounds nice and will look nice!

Thanks for all your opinions! I''m sure my soon-to-be-fiance also says thank you!
9.gif
congratulations!
will you be having the stone set before you see it, or will it be shipped loose?

samkongado

Rough_Rock
I''m having it set beforehand in the platinum sleek lines cathedral solitaire. I figure the stone will appear a little larger in the thin band setting (although I don''t want it looking too big, she doesn''t want a huge stone). I actually almost went with a .55 carat stone because I was worried the .73 was a little too big, so I''m hoping it looks just right!

Anyone have any idea about if the diamond is AGS000?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 1:04:22 PM
Author: samkongado
I''m having it set beforehand in the platinum sleek lines cathedral solitaire. I figure the stone will appear a little larger in the thin band setting (although I don''t want it looking too big, she doesn''t want a huge stone). I actually almost went with a .55 carat stone because I was worried the .73 was a little too big, so I''m hoping it looks just right!

Anyone have any idea about if the diamond is AGS000?
awesome! i l
30.gif
ve the sleek lines solitaire. great choice! she is going to love that size.
2.gif

aside from the polish/symmetry grade, the stones specs are within ags ideal range.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results