shape
carat
color
clarity

Basket - Setting Question

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

I had a quick question regarding baskets on a setting. Do they impact the way the diamond reflects light at all? I ask as I currently have an open V basket (not sure the official name), I have been considering going with the tulip basket for my upgrade, but I wonder if more metal around the circumference of the stone would alter the way it reflects light more than it does in the 'open v' style.

I have included a photo, I think I may need to go with the open V style anyway as it would allow for a more flush appearance without the additional prong in the way, but if that is not an issue when the design is executed, I'm trying to figure out how I will choose. I thought perhaps if the diamond itself was impacted at all with either setting, that might be the deciding factor.

Thank you! :wavey:

Screenshot (264).png

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not an expert, but I've seen lots of stones on here and people use all kinds of baskets and it doesn't seem to affect the sparkle. I think most of the light comes in from the top. But, I might be wrong, so wait and see what the experts have to say.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not an expert, but I've seen lots of stones on here and people use all kinds of baskets and it doesn't seem to affect the sparkle. I think most of the light comes in from the top. But, I might be wrong, so wait and see what the experts have to say.

I figured that too, but then wondered if having the profile unobstructed allows for light to enter obliquely creating even more light return. It seems like a good thought lol.

niteowlsam

Rough_Rock
@breanne - I am so glad you asked this question as I have often wondered the same thing. I have two trellis settings - one with the bridge across (three stone round - AGS 000) and one without (five stone brilliant cushions). The one without the bridge across absolutely seems to have more side flashes than the one with. We will be upgrading my three stone in the next few months and are trying to figure out which direction to go.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
@breanne - I am so glad you asked this question as I have often wondered the same thing. I have two trellis settings - one with the bridge across (three stone round - AGS 000) and one without (five stone brilliant cushions). The one without the bridge across absolutely seems to have more side flashes than the one with. We will be upgrading my three stone in the next few months and are trying to figure out which direction to go.

Interesting !! I’m hoping someone who understands refraction can tell us better, but I am leaning towards there *must* be a difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results