shape
carat
color
clarity

Based on a picture....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thoughts between the two. One is an Ebay stone by Weblorn that is in the right price and has a good return policy. I made an offer and she accepted!
1.gif

It is a 6.78mm Malaya. The seller has been great about answering my questions. I also have a stone on hold with John from Gemrite, but I am afraid it is out of budget. I know you can't really judge by a picture, but do you think I made a good choice? BTW, the Ebay seller told me she lost her job so if anyone is interested in her stones, I think she is needing to move her inventory if you make an offer on something.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebay stone

imperial-garnet-147rd.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemrite stone

imperialround154B.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my 6mm malaya from welborn on ebay :) It's a color changer, fyi, you can see my past thread for pics (it's my beaded bezel ring).

It's very moody, but I don't know if that might be typical of all malayas. I personally think it was cut a bit deep and there's a tad more brown than is ideal, but it has very pretty pink (or gold depending on light source) flashes and when the light hits it right it just GLOWS. I kept it since it was only 80$ and it has a pretty cool color change property.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 9:08:11 AM
Author:cushioncutnut
thoughts between the two. One is an Ebay stone by Weblorn that is in the right price and has a good return policy. I made an offer and she accepted!
1.gif

It is a 6.78mm Malaya. The seller has been great about answering my questions. I also have a stone on hold with John from Gemrite, but I am afraid it is out of budget. I know you can''t really judge by a picture, but do you think I made a good choice? BTW, the Ebay seller told me she lost her job so if anyone is interested in her stones, I think she is needing to move her inventory if you make an offer on something.
CCN, do you have pictures of the two stones?

I can only comment on my Malaya from Gemrite. If you take a look at my vendors pic vs. my pic in the stickied thread you will see a world of difference. I decided to keep my stone because I liked the colour it really was. I believe John has changed his photo set up a bit since I bought my stone, but I would certainly ask for additional photos if you are considering one of his stones.

I believe Weblorn is Gemnut isn''t she? If she''s who I think she is, I think she has some nice stones, although I haven''t bought from her. I''m hopping on over there to take a look!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted in that thread and I thought it was pretty! I like that it is a USA cut too and hopefully it will be even prettier IRL. I may have to order John''s stone too, but it just gets costly to do that.............. The seller told me it was 70% saturated and more on the Pyrope garnet side where it has more pink that orange. I wanted a more pink stone.............

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welborn has a good reputation for ebay, and her pictures at least do not look touched up in the least bit. I''ve heard very good recommendations of her, but I have not purchased anything myself.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 9:24:03 AM
Author: cushioncutnut
I posted in that thread and I thought it was pretty! I like that it is a USA cut too and hopefully it will be even prettier IRL. I may have to order John''s stone too, but it just gets costly to do that.............. The seller told me it was 70% saturated and more on the Pyrope garnet side where it has more pink that orange. I wanted a more pink stone.............
Well, mine definitely is pink! There''s a slight purple to it of course, but definitely pink at a glance :)
In my original thread about with the loose stone, I took pictures of it at it''s worst too, hopefully that helps :)

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 9:21:03 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 4/23/2009 9:08:11 AM
Author:cushioncutnut
1.gif

It is a 6.78mm Malaya. The seller has been great about answering my questions. I also have a stone on hold with John from Gemrite, but I am afraid it is out of budget. I know you can''t really judge by a picture, but do you think I made a good choice? BTW, the Ebay seller told me she lost her job so if anyone is interested in her stones, I think she is needing to move her inventory if you make an offer on something.
CCN, do you have pictures of the two stones?

I can only comment on my Malaya from Gemrite. If you take a look at my vendors pic vs. my pic in the stickied thread you will see a world of difference. I decided to keep my stone because I liked the colour it really was. I believe John has changed his photo set up a bit since I bought my stone, but I would certainly ask for additional photos if you are considering one of his stones.

I believe Weblorn is Gemnut isn''t she? If she''s who I think she is, I think she has some nice stones, although I haven''t bought from her. I''m hopping on over there to take a look!
I am still deciding on the stone with John and I have not received the Ebay stone yet. Weblorn is Gemnut. www.gemnut.com

MTG.....I have to revert back to your thread. I believe it was one of the reason''s why I took a chance and made an offer on the stone! She had it listed for $225 OBO............. she accepted my offer of $159....... I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I will add pictures to this thread when I receive the Ebay stone!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased my Meralani mint garnet from Gemnut and it''s very pretty and true to the picture although mine showed a pretty good picture to start with. This picture looks to be rather poor in quality. It''s hard to compare stones in pictures from 2 different vendors because we have no idea of the lighting setup and camera used. I have enough difficulty in trying to choose between 2 stones from the same vendor in one picture.
9.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I wonder who the american cutter is that is cutting some of Gemnut''s stones? Anyone know?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea who the cutter is and am too afraid/shy to ask.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, I''m wearing my malaya ring right now, and boy it really sparkles from the kitchen lights hitting it!

I will warn you that it looks a terrible murky brown in fluro lit lab rooms, lol. I was in class, looked down, and went "ugh!". But then I went outside and it was pretty again, hehe. Moody!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, I snapped some quick pics for you, sorry they're so blurry :)

livingroomsparkles.jpg

stacy

Shiny_Rock
I think the eBay stone is gorgeous, and I bet it will be better than the pics.

And now I''ve been introduced to this person''s site, I have found more gems I want to buy! It never ends with me!
25.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 8:13:26 PM
Author: Chrono
I purchased my Meralani mint garnet from Gemnut and it''s very pretty and true to the picture although mine showed a pretty good picture to start with. This picture looks to be rather poor in quality. It''s hard to compare stones in pictures from 2 different vendors because we have no idea of the lighting setup and camera used. I have enough difficulty in trying to choose between 2 stones from the same vendor in one picture.
9.gif

I know this is sooo true! My eyes go batty sometimes trying to decide. O.k...so you know I have to ask for a picture of your mint garnet!
9.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 8:49:00 PM
Author: Chrono
I have no idea who the cutter is and am too afraid/shy to ask.

I too am afraid to ask! Wouldn''t it be interesting if it was one of the vendors here!!
1.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 9:09:22 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Hehe, I snapped some quick pics for you, sorry they''re so blurry :)

Oh thank you! You can see that I replied to your thread when you first bought the stone. I can see why you were uncertain as in all the pics that you took, she can be a moody malaya! HA... I think I may have just named my stone.
33.gif
I think you made a great choice with the bezel setting too! Soo pretty! I was at my jewelers today and she can make me a setting for $99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have the shank made in sterling silver with rhodium plating and the bezel will be in rose gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks again for the enabling!!
9.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 9:16:38 PM
Author: stacy
I think the eBay stone is gorgeous, and I bet it will be better than the pics.

And now I''ve been introduced to this person''s site, I have found more gems I want to buy! It never ends with me!
25.gif

I hope you are right! Go to her Ebay store too! (Weblorn) There is alot more stones listed and she is accepting offers on many! I am so happy to enable you!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results