shape
carat
color
clarity

Barry''s Prototype asscher modify kinda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Barry is cutting me a stone just like this only in pink... this one is his Tanga Garnet prototype... What do you think of the cut.. I''m so ecstactic, I''ve been wanting a squarish shaped step cut stone.. in pink.. I"m so excited to share with you guys!

barryprototypet1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut looks good and I think would look better in a lighter coloured gemstone like the pink you requested. I think this modified cut is more suited to gemstones than a true asscher cut.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 2:26:38 PM
Author: Chrono
The cut looks good and I think would look better in a lighter coloured gemstone like the pink you requested. I think this modified cut is more suited to gemstones than a true asscher cut.
totally agree. I really like step cuts in lighter stone as well so I can see the facet patern, otherwise It''ll be too dark for me to even enjoy the cut really

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh and here is just a snippet of our conversation.. such a funny guy!

"I hadn''t done one in about 20 years so I had to pull the angle adjustments out of the depths of my poor redneck mind.
There is a trick to getting all of the facets to meet at the culet at the correct angle and I''ve noticed that alot of the
Asschers have 4 bright facets at the culet and 4 dead ones. I think I got that solved last night. I''m trying a larger very
light pink tourmaline today because--well, this piece of rough needs all the help it can get"

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
WOW - I''m so envious, and I haven''t even see it yet. I will need lots of pics!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I''m really gonna like that in a lighter stone. The photo you posted looks very good. TFS!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like Barry is doing the smart thing and getting on the asscher bandwagon. I do think they''re only suited to lighter stones though. The pavillion is so deep on these cuts that a dark stone would go even darker with this kind of cut.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 2:23:12 PM
Author:D&T
So Barry is cutting me a stone just like this only in pink... this one is his Tanga Garnet prototype... What do you think of the cut.. I''m so ecstactic, I''ve been wanting a squarish shaped step cut stone.. in pink.. I''m so excited to share with you guys!
Wow, you''re fast D&T!
35.gif

I talked Barry into cutting asscher gemstones again.....I''ve been talking with him the past couple of days about this and I''m his first customer. We emailed back and forth and I sent pictures of my gemstone asschers for him to look at.

Here''s part of our convo, these are Barry''s comments:

I am SO surprised at the renewed interest in step cut stones. I used to cut Asschers for the store back in the ''80''s
before I even knew that''s what they were called. They didn''t fit the standard emerald cut mountings and the former
store owner didn''t like step cut stones, so I quit doing it.

That is so funny! They sure didn''t like them here in Lizard Lick. That''s what Carol likes too. Guess I''d better go a looking
for the right shape of rough. Thanks for the pics.

Are people looking for the perfectly square asscher cuts or stones that are close to being squares but still rectangular?

I''m curious about something. How many rows of facets are they using on the pavilions of your Asschers? It looks like
the standard 3 on top, but I can''t tell about the bottoms. I did find a few pieces of rough that have the right shape so now
all I have to do is get some time to cut!

I''ll send you a picture of the garnet when it''s done, unless it''s ugly.

Well, I don''t think its ugly. I actually think that for the type of stone, a Tanga garnet, it has more color coming out of it than
a round would in the same gem material. The trick on this cut is to get those corner facets to come to the culet, meeting
the side facets, and have all those culet facets at the right angle for light return. What do you think of it?

Once I get started on a stone, especially on a cut I haven''t done for awhile, I really get into it and don''t stop for anything.
Luckily, I remembered that you have to use different angles for the corners than you use for the sides. Otherwise, the
corner angles won''t get to the culet. Just having 4 facets at the culet really kills the brilliance.

I was going to surprise everyone with Barry''s new asscher, but didn''t know if he had posted it yet.

Now, we have another option for AWESOME gemstone asschers!!!!
36.gif

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to be a threadjack, but here''s another photo of Barry''s prototype.

Lori

MVC-011S.JPG

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
So Barry is cutting me a stone just like this only in pink... this one is his Tanga Garnet prototype... What do you think of the cut.. I''m so ecstactic, I''ve been wanting a squarish shaped step cut stone.. in pink.. I''m so excited to share with you guys!
I''m REALLY excited for you D&T!!!! Please accept my apology for going on and on earlier....I was literally talking with Barry about this and didn''t realize that he was already talking about cutting a stone for sale.
9.gif

I can''t wait to see it!!!
36.gif

Lori

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
The Tanga prototype turned out gorgeous, can''t wait to see your light pink asscher!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 6:28:07 AM
Author: loriken214

I''m REALLY excited for you D&T!!!! Please accept my apology for going on and on earlier....I was literally talking with Barry about this and didn''t realize that he was already talking about cutting a stone for sale.
9.gif

I can''t wait to see it!!!
36.gif

Lori
Lori- No worries
9.gif
I was just so excited when I bought my first tourmaline from him and really wanted a step cut in an asscher look a like a couple of weeks ago... I''m glad you posted another picture... and don''t apologize you''re too kind

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Oh Barry did a lovely job with that stone! I have a feeling I will be getting in touch with him soon
11.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Well, Barry is officially open for business now! He posted it in his newsletter and is ready to go! YAY!!!
36.gif

Lori

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2009 7:30:03 PM
Author: loriken214
Well, Barry is officially open for business now! He posted it in his newsletter and is ready to go! YAY!!!
36.gif

Lori

Damn girl, you are fast then with that big beautiful tourmaline already
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received the newsletter and peeked at ACS but it hasn''t been updated with the new goodies yet.
40.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s lovely. I need an asscher too.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results