carat
color
clarity

Barry's 9.8mm green tourmaline is in

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tell me what you guys think. Here's a YouTube of her (sorry it's upside down):

**edited by moderator. we do not allow personal videos on the forum at this time. we are working on a solution**

green.JPG

Green2.JPG

Green3.JPG

Green4.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Athena,
Just so you know, we're not allowed to post personal youtube videos, or any personal videos, sorry, I wish we could :blackeye: . However, I did look at it, and it's very pretty, especially when the light hits off the facets. It's also huge! What are your plans for it? :naughty:

ETA: Love your e-ring too!! WOW!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOH, it's purty :love:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1303507580|2902868 said:

Honest opinion, in the shade it's kind of dark, but it is really pretty when the light hits it. What do you think? I like the blue/green dichroism of the stone, and it's Barry's fabulous cutting, and it's a round, so it has a lot going for it. If you feel that it's too dark for your taste, that's a different story.

Please don't bezel it, especially if you think it's dark.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL|1303507769|2902870 said:

Honest opinion, in the shade it's kind of dark, but it is really pretty when the light hits it. What do you think? I like the blue/green dichroism of the stone, and it's Barry's fabulous cutting, and it's a round, so it has a lot going for it. If you feel that it's too dark for your taste, that's a different story.

Please don't bezel it, especially if you think it's dark.
Yeah, if i keep it, I won't bezel it. I love that setting, but I really don't want to close it off.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so pretty when the light hits it isn't it? You see all variations of blue and green - very lovely.

I agree with TL that in the shaded light it becomes a little dark and flatter so I'm glad you won't bezel it. The Royal Jeweller setting will allow lots of light to get in but it doesn't look to be great quality. I don't know if it helps but I've got a setting on the way from them so I should be able to report either positive or negative in the next few weeks.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LovingDiamonds|1303508809|2902880 said:
It's so pretty when the light hits it isn't it? You see all variations of blue and green - very lovely.

I agree with TL that in the shaded light it becomes a little dark and flatter so I'm glad you won't bezel it. The Royal Jeweller setting will allow lots of light to get in but it doesn't look to be great quality. I don't know if it helps but I've got a setting on the way from them so I should be able to report either positive or negative in the next few weeks.
Oh, I can't wait to see what you get from Royal Jewellers. It'll be a while before I can set this on (tapped out) so I'll definitely do a little more research if I decide to keep it.

OH and TL, thanks for the compliment on my ering! I'm a bling-aholic!

ETA: I can't stop starring at his cutting skills.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's one more unclear but shows good color.

green5.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, I think its too dark...please forward it to me and I will make sure it gets back to Barry :bigsmile: !

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tyty333|1303512943|2902919 said:

Yes, I think its too dark...please forward it to me and I will make sure it gets back to Barry :bigsmile: !

LOL, you're cute.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I ADORE Barry's green tourmaline, and your is a beauty !!!!
I love a plain prong setting so I can see his gorgeous cut from all angles !!!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful tourmaline, I also have one from Barry in a similar colour but smaller. I plan to prong set it one day.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE how you can see the blue axis so clearly when the light hits it. :love: I'd keep it - it is dark, but I think it has a lot of personality.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its lovely and you should keep it! Not only is it a really uncommon color, but if you return it, then I'll have to visit it everyday like I was doing before you bought it. I love that color :love: :love: To clarify, it doesn't go dark that often, does it?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It's a bit darker than I prefer, so I think I'd send it back. It's also too large for my tastes unless I was going to set it in a pendant. But that's me...if you love it, that's what matters! The color is very pretty when the light hits it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Me, I like it a lot. Wonderful cutting as usual. It spits light back out beautifully, even if it does darken in low light. I like the dichroism too, gives it its own unique character. Feminine gem. The Royal Jeweller setting (or something similar) would be very nice, but it's such a standout by itself, as well as large, a simple prong setting maybe w/melee on shank would also work.

--- Laurie

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I asked Barry if this stone would be lighter: http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=3712
And this is what he said: "The other stone is a little bit lighter but it doesn't have the blue in it at all.  It's a pretty stone, but the blue color going across the one you have makes a big difference."

Since Im so new to CS, can someone ... Well ... Translate for me? 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1303623123|2903894 said:
I asked Barry if this stone would be lighter: http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=3712
And this is what he said: "The other stone is a little bit lighter but it doesn't have the blue in it at all.  It's a pretty stone, but the blue color going across the one you have makes a big difference."

Blue tends to be a more highly desired color in tourmaline. He's telling you this other one has no blue. I would ask him if the other one is yellowish green, as yellow isn't as highly desired as a secondary color in tourmaline as blue. However, if you had a lighter toned stone with blue as a secondary, than that would be more ideal. I personally like to enjoy a gem in all lighting, not just certain lighting, but the color in one lighting may sing to you so much that you can overlook it's shortcomings in other lighting. It's give and take. I personally like the color of this one better than the other one you just posted now, but if you can only enjoy it when light hits it a certain way, or in certain lighting, that's something you need to weigh.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1303653909|2903989 said:
athenaworth|1303623123|2903894 said:

Blue tends to be a more highly desired color in tourmaline. He's telling you this other one has no blue. I would ask him if the other one is yellowish green, as yellow isn't as highly desired as a secondary color in tourmaline as blue. However, if you had a lighter toned stone with blue as a secondary, than that would be more ideal. I personally like to enjoy a gem in all lighting, not just certain lighting, but the color in one lighting may sing to you so much that you can overlook it's shortcomings in other lighting. It's give and take. I personally like the color of this one better than the other one you just posted now, but if you can only enjoy it when light hits it a certain way, or in certain lighting, that's something you need to weigh.

A couple of things I have learned on this journey....

I believe what Barry tells me.

my stones I love best are those that I can enjoy in all lighting, even if they
don't look the same color in all lighting
( that last part is important !)
The reason I love my Barry green tourm *(and I have 2 of them) is that
the colors it appears in different lighting are ALL appealing to me !!!!!

I have plenty of stones that I love, but that they look their "best" under only
certain lighting conditions... I still love them for various reasons, though 8-)

The big stone you have is my favorite, If it were me, I'd keep !
And saying that, my ultimate is for lighter colored gems, so I must really LOVE yours !!!!! :lol:
FWIW

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Athena ~

I hadn't seen that setting but my suggestion would be to replace the bezel with prongs, orienting them in the corners (NE, SW, etc.) so as to get the effect that draws you to the design without bezeling. I think prongs set in this manner would emphasize the setting shape but not interfere with your tourm as the star of the show!

~ faegrace

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
faegrace|1304280430|2909345 said:
Athena ~

I hadn't seen that setting but my suggestion would be to replace the bezel with prongs, orienting them in the corners (NE, SW, etc.) so as to get the effect that draws you to the design without bezeling. I think prongs set in this manner would emphasize the setting shape but not interfere with your tourm as the star of the show!

~ faegrace
That's a fantastic idea! I really want to somehow work the rope look into the profile too. I love pretty profiles.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!

I have been thinking about trying Royal Jeweler as well but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A good shot I got today

image.jpeg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I love it, Athena. It is so very pretty!

--- Laurie

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So I've come up with how I want to set Big Barry: I got two pink spinels from Gemart today and I'm going to work with Daniel M to set them together in a three-stone of some sort. I told Daniel that I wanted some sort of fun profile, and making them all fit on my finger is going to be a chore to get it all to fit right on my finger, but it'll be fun nonetheless.

3stone2.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to the final result!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
1. lovely gem- and big!
2. aha! so you're the one who got those little spinels from Jerry? I'm looking at a different one from the same suite, so far he's been really great to work with
3. I think the colors will look nice together, I happen to love green and pink :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results