shape
carat
color
clarity

Barry Bridgestock sapphire in a Vintage Orange Blossom ring

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this sapphire from the late and dearly loved Barry Bridgestock back in 2017. It's 1.41 ct, unheated, from Tanzania and shows off his delightful faceting.
His vendor picture from back then, sigh, just looking at this gives me feels.
1713448022514.png

It lived in a rose gold and silver bezel ring for awhile, but the plan was always to reset her when a worthy setting came along. Recently I bought a vintage Traub Orange Blossom setting and I knew it was meant to be. Had to change out the head due to age and to fit the sapphire (it's deep). But I still think it's a great fit.

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The details are still very lovely and crisp, shows with another vintage band from the 1940s. I should hopefully getting yet another band in the mail today that has engraving that matches this ring more so might post some pics of those together if it arrives as expected.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone - fits the setting in every way. Gorgeous :)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very lovely!!!! The ring is perfect for the stone!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! You made the right choice, especially as this stone holds such special memories.

When you said you had the change the head I almost had a heart attack because I thought you might lose that glorious flower on the base but they did a lovely job keeping it intact. Phew!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! You made the right choice, especially as this stone holds such special memories.

When you said you had the change the head I almost had a heart attack because I thought you might lose that glorious flower on the base but they did a lovely job keeping it intact. Phew!!

Yeah it's not as smooth as before at some of the joins with the new head but all in all I think the jeweler did admirably! I'm sure it's not easy to rehab something 100 years old if you're not specialized in it.

And yes, a lot of great memories! Haha Barry rarely cut sapphires, usually his drops were garnets, tourms, amythests, etc. So when there was a sapphire dropped we'd all get super amped and wanted to know who scored it haha. I'm lucky I got this one.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never did buy one of his stones and I wish I had. By the time began (slowly and modestly) collecting colored gems he had passed. Maybe I will find one on preloved some day.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never did buy one of his stones and I wish I had. By the time began (slowly and modestly) collecting colored gems he had passed. Maybe I will find one on preloved some day.

Yeah I had sold off many just because I had way too many rings compared to fingers lol.
But I kept this one, a large supernova oval garnet, a moonstone, and a mint garnet. All of which are set, though I think the mint garnet needs a "forever" home at some point since it's current setting was also meant to be temporary

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah I had sold off many just because I had way too many rings compared to fingers lol.
But I kept this one, a large supernova oval garnet, a moonstone, and a mint garnet. All of which are set, though I think the mint garnet needs a "forever" home at some point since it's current setting was also meant to be temporary

I’d love to see a picture of this family!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Superlative, you have such a nice collection. The most recent, romantic blue sapphire with a delicately detailed orange blossom ring work so well together!! Thanks for sharing.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
The stone and the setting are each beautiful and together they make a fabulous ring.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous collection

Barry was a lovely man.
sadwave.gif
Nice to see his name mentioned now and again.

Your stone is beautimous and that ring is a stunner! Enjoy!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I love the wedding of the new head with that fabulous OB shank. It looks amazing.:love:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s so lovely!! What a great combination!! Enjoy it in much happiness!

Sure! My BB babies lol
IMG_3603.jpeg IMG_3604.jpeg

Where did you get your (beautiful) mint stone? I assume it's a garnet, though I suppose it could be a tourm or the like. I have a round mint garnet myself and I'm deciding how I want to set it. :think: Lovely collection!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did you get your (beautiful) mint stone? I assume it's a garnet, though I suppose it could be a tourm or the like. I have a round mint garnet myself and I'm deciding how I want to set it. :think: Lovely collection!

It’s a mint garnet indeed! From the late great Barry Bridgestock. I got the setting second hand as a temp setting but haven’t found its forever setting either.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thud!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Superlative, you have such a nice collection. The most recent, romantic blue sapphire with a delicately detailed orange blossom ring work so well together!! Thanks for sharing.

Haha I actually can never decide if it’s blue or purple so I call it “blurple” which is decidedly not romantic

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade, I see what you mean by “Blurple”. In one of your profile photos (maybe incandescent light?) there is a deep purple tone to it. Is this a “color change” sapphire? I love both colors.

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade, I see what you mean by “Blurple”. In one of your profile photos (maybe incandescent light?) there is a deep purple tone to it. Is this a “color change” sapphire? I love both colors.

It’s more color shift than color change but yes!

Haha I actually can never decide if it’s blue or purple so I call it “blurple” which is decidedly not romantic

Sounds better than plue. :lol: Whatever you call it... blurple, lavender, periwinkle, iris, indigo, ultramarine... a blend of blue and purple is definitely in my top 3 favorite colors (along with any shade of orange and turquoise).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results