carat
color
clarity

Baroque Pearl earrings help

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I'm a long time pearl fan but these will be my first post PS pearl purchase so I'd love some guidance. My sister is getting married soon and she wants all the bridesmaids to wear white pearls and silver.

I'm usually more of a Tahitian fan but I need white this time. I can't decide weather I want studs or dangles. I'd definitely like something that I'll wear after the wedding and regularly.

I fell in love with PPs 'encircled' range when they came out and love SMCs set of baroque studs.

I can't remember who the last two photos belong too but I'll find out and update the descriptions.

_5749.jpeg

_5750.jpeg

_5751.jpeg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I contact PP with my preferences and they have suggested the following:
the first photo is natural light and then studio light.

Metallic Freshwater Drops 10-11mm
Freshwater Drops 9-10mm
White South Sea Baroque 9-10mm -very bright and luminescent
Freshwater coin pearls, they are already half drilled but not your normal shape for certain.

Any suggestions?

_5752.jpeg

_5753.jpeg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have the 10-11mm white metallic drops and that would be my choice. They are very shiny, I love the drop shape, and I think the larger size gives them more "wow" factor. But if you want baroques, you might be happier with the WSS.

new2.jpg

new6.jpg

new5.jpg

Here they are before I had them re-set into the settings above:

whitemetallics3.jpg

white_metallics2.jpg

white_metallics1.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I like the whiter color of the baroque SSP more, they are on the small side for dangles.
I think the 10-11mm FW metallic drops might be the best choice, size wise.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
seaurchin|1473576989|4075092 said:
I have the 10-11mm white metallic drops and that would be my choice. They are very shiny, I love the drop shape, and I think the larger size gives them more "wow" factor. But if you want baroques, you might be happier with the WSS.
Beautiful set seaurchin. And thank you for the photos it really helps to see what 10mm drops would look like on the ear.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome!

Another thought is to get the WSS baroques and have them put on threaders or on little charms to attach to diamond/cz/pearl/etc. studs .

I think it's a dressy, showy look, especially great if you're on a budget because the little chains or threader settings are probably under $100. (PP has all kinds of options that aren't necessarily shown on the site. They set all of mine in the pics below).

Here's an example from their site:
https://www.pearlparadise.com/collections/all-pearl-earrings/products/black-akoya-pearl-threader-earrings

Here are mine. 11mm peach pearls on threaders (baroques or drops will probably look larger than round 9mm pearls would- they measure around the width, not the length); 9mm(?)lavender drops on chain charms; 11mm(?) pink pearls on thicker chain charms. (Yes, I know I'm bad. In fact, I'm on pearl parole!) :p

img_2637.jpg

7_5.jpg

3_42.jpg

6_40.jpg

4_13.jpg

8_5.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Or you could keep it simple and just get some plain white pearl studs lol. To me, baroques usually seem more casual than what I'd choose to wear if I was in a wedding, but I think baroques would be dressed up enough from the length of the threaders, or on the chain charms. But if it wasn't in my budget to get what I REALLY wanted, I might just get round studs. But of course that's just my opinion. Please show us whatever you get!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a budget?

Will you be getting a pendant, as well? A strand necklace? Are you looking for sterling silver, or white gold?

I don't see Akoyas mentioned. My go-to earrings when I don't want to think are 9mm Akoya studs.

From your photo, I like the white SS pearls, but you should ask PP to match a pendant, as well, and that might be more than you want to spend.

There are some perfectly nice choices in white freshwater pearls.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I love metallics but the baroque WSSP are also stunning! I think they would be my preference. They could be slightly too elongated (I can't tell from the photo) or perhaps they've already been drilled but my first reaction was that they would make lovely studs.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which ones call to you? What I've learned is that pearls are completely personal. What one person is drawn to, another person won't like. What works beautifully on some just won't work on others. Size, shape, color, length, and style will all look different depending on who's wearing an item, and it's a bit of trial and error to figure out what sings on you vs what will look flat.

Metallics are gorgeous and a great value for the price. But they tend to be creamier than WSS pearls. What colors look best on you? Clear, bright silvery whites (go with WSS) or do softer whites (creams, slightly more yellow or slightly peachier tones) look better on you (if so, go with the freshwater pearls)? Do you love the visual interest and quirkiness and more casual style of the ringed baroques or do you love the more formal look of the smooth drops? What does your budget look like?

I think if you think about it this way you'll pick what works best for you individually.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.

I've looked at the prices on PP and I don't think budget will be a problem. I meant that I can choose what I like not just what I can afford. I've already asked them if they can use platinum finding in the earrings and they say they can (allergies) and I'll get silver if I go for a anything else. (I only have reactive ears. I wear all other metals as nexklaces etc no problem).

I may extend to a bracket or a pendant but I'm not a strand necklace girl.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's definitely the baroque stud shape that appeals to be first of all but they look very silver almost blue and that doesn't appeal. I like the idea of larger drops made into jackets to wear with my diamond studs but I'd want them to be a bit more circled. But would I wear dangles as much as I'd wear studs. I don't know.

I don't have enough pearls to compare colours on me. But I'm a dark brunette with pale skin. White gold looks better on me than yellow. I can wear most colours except red and pink which bring out the red in my skin and make me look permenantly flushed.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
seaurchin|1473623081|4075231 said:
Thanks seaurchin - If I went for drops I'd go for something like this.
What size are they 9 or 11mm? And what size are your studs?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Based on your preferences I would get the baroque WSSP set as studs. They are very special.

They do look silver/blue-ish in the second photo, but only in comparison to the creamier pearls. I am pretty sure they will look super white on the ear. Also, the fact that you are brunette and prefer white metals indicate that the whiter pearls may be a good choice.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Ah, okay. I thought you were on a tighter budget because the pearl choices, while lovely, seemed at the lower end of price points and you had mentioned silver settings. It sounds like you definitely want baroque WSS, then?

If baroque WSS studs are what calls to you, then how about asking to see more baroque WSS pearl pairs? Asking for bright white but while not pinkish, also not as blue-ish as those in the photo? (or you could ask if the pair shown are really blue-ish or just appear that way next to the creamier freshwater pearls). I do have a pair of WSS that I wish weren't so blue-ish so I know what you mean.

Also, do you want a different baroque shape for studs? The WSS pair from PP looks like they have one ring, while the ones in your photo (in the box) look more nugget-like.

Another idea is to get both the WSS baroque studs and a pair of WSS baroques on the chains or other dangly pair, maybe with diamonds.

But if you get the chains, I would suggest playing around with different lengths and something to stand in for different sized pearls with your studs, or search for similar pictures to show PP or use to estimate the sizes yourself. The chain width and length, pearl size and diamond stud size require a little work to get right. If the proportions are off they don't look right.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Another thought, since you want something you'll get a lot of use from, I don't know about others but I wear earrings every day, but pendants and bracelets only occasionally. I'd probably get more use out of two pairs of earrings, for example, than a pair of earrings and a pendant or bracelet. Just a thought. I can't wait to see what you get. :)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given what you said about colors, it sounds like WSS would suit you best. I'm sure you realize WSS come in different tones also-- you can get white white, rather than silvery white. You can ask for ones with rose overtones, or not. I think you should ask for a few more photos of pairs and specify the shape, size and tone you prefer.

As to dangles vs. studs, I find that I wear studs most often, and then my short dangles more often than my longer ones. I have threaders but I feel like they rasp the insides of my ear holes and regret getting the setting. I have to lubricate my earlobe well when I insert them or remove them, and go very slowly, or else it hurts! :-o

Here are my 10-11mm WSS dangles from PP; I find these as easy to wear as studs-- in fact, easier, since they don't interfere when I'm holding a phone to my ear. They have a small diamond which doesn't show up well in the photo. The hook is heavy gauge.

Also consider the size of your ear lobe when choosing pearl size. A larger ear lobe may dwarf a smaller pearl. My lobes are large, and lately I've been getting larger studs than I used to. Larger dangles are next! =)

wss_dangle_drop_earring.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
It's definitely the baroque stud shape that appeals to be first of all but they look very silver almost blue and that doesn't appeal.

I have a pair of baroque SS studs that do look blue -- but not as blue as silver-blue Akoyas. I love them. The SS actually look white in direct sunlight, while the Akoyas will still look blue.

My studs look a lot like the earrings in the first photo, the ones in the box.

I agree with the others that since you've decided on the baroque SS, ask PP if they have more pairs for comparison. If you don't want the silver tone, ask for rose.

I have white SS dangles, but I don't wear them very often because they're heavy. We all have different tolerances for earring weight, but it's something to consider.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I asked to have the front face of the coins photographed and asked the size. They're 18mm which I think might be a bit big but I find the colour most appealing.

_5774.jpeg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have ruled out the two ovals. I now know that I prefer the more irregular fireball/baroque/circled look and whilst pretty theyre too 'perfect'

I've asked for some more offering of semi baroque/coin/buttons for stud options and some larger circled drops for dangle options- all in the preferred non silver overtone.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Great please post photos when you get them!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been sent photos of another set of coin pearls that lean slightly towards the pink/peach side, but they are 12.5-13.0mm -also another two sets of baroque WSS pearls that are less silver. The previous silvery baroques are at the top of the shot

_1431.png

_1432.png

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Are any of them what you wanted? If not, then you can use the photos to further refine what you do want and ask again. And if one vendor doesn't have what you really want in stock, you can always try another vendor.

Did you want slightly peachy coin pearls or whiter? Are the coin pearls already top-drilled? It kind of looks like it in the pic. If so, did you want them for dangles?

And are the two pairs of baroques under consideration for studs? If so, did you want either of those shapes or more nugget-shaped?

I like the coin pearls the best, they look super-lustrous. But then I usually strongly prefer symmetrical shapes over baroques so I may not be much help! :)

What do you think?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the colour of the newest ones are attractive so that's closer to what I want. Circled buttons would be my favourite shape I think.

I would want these shapes for studs not dangles so that puts the coins out as they are top drilled. But I do find them appealing. The middle ones are an odd shape and I'm not interested in them at all.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the new circled WSS ones if you want them for studs. I think they have enough circle to be interesting, but not so much that they would look weird as studs.

For me personally though, I'd love to turn those silver ringed WSS's into dangles!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
If you like the coin pearls, have you considered mabe pearls? One classic style is a mabe pearl with an omega back.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So, is it narrowed down to circle SS pearls for stud earrings, then?

If so, maybe you'd want to ask for a few more pairs of WSS (like maybe four or six, if they have that many) that: (1) Are suitable for studs, (2) Are bright white but not blue-ish, (3) Circled, (4) About the same size as the circle pair shown, and (5) well matched. Or any of the above adjusted according to your specific preferences. Then make your final selection from that.

If it was me, once I had what I wanted narrowed down, I would want more than just one of that type to pick from.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, keshi studs would be nice, too.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the colour of the newest ones are attractive so that's closer to what I want. Circled buttons would be my favourite shape I think.

I would want these shapes for studs not dangles so that puts the coins out as they are top drilled. But I do find them appealing. The middle ones are an odd shape and I'm not interested in them at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results