shape
carat
color
clarity

Baroque akoya earring charms help!

ean

Brilliant_Rock
So looking at the plain hoop thread, I saw @Cerulean’s gorgeous blue baroque akoya dangles and decided I need to have one for myself. (Like I don’t have other projects I already need to save up on). But anyway, this is my first “real/adult” pearl purchase, so just wanting to know if I am making the right choices. I am working with takahashi.

They gave me several choices in terms of color, and I like these blue ones the best. I am leaning towards the pair in the middle. Good choice? See a better matched pair? Let me know.

0B4B9EDA-AFEE-44B6-8CEE-815904EF29F0.jpeg

I am having them (drilled?) and have jump rings placed on them to use on a 2.5mm-3mm wide hoops. (Haven’t decided yet) The inspiration are these Monica Vinader charms.
46820D42-2C09-4D5F-9FD9-8CE29E21050D.jpeg

Takahashi said they can do it for an extra $100 for 14K WG and gave me this illustration. Is this a reasonable price? From what I’m seeing they’re going to use 5mm jump rings. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong. Is it going to be too big? I’d like the charm hoop to look a little bit snug with the earrings. Do I ask for a smaller jump ring? DFB5DD97-4B78-4BED-8879-F0653A314DF0.jpeg

I am leaning towards this hoop earrings to test out with them.

14K Gold Hinged Endless Round Huggie Hoop Earrings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ9B9XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_A5XPQ9FR18TBTDQF0WF1

ean

Brilliant_Rock
Paging @Cerulean if you don’t mind. :)

Any other pearl enthusiasts want to chime in?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@yssie is the pearl pro!

here are my meandering thoughts

i like the shape of the bottom pair best and they are to me the most harmonious match, but are also the smallest and least colorful

the middle i like too...now, they are not a perfect match in really any respect (slightly different overtones, smoothness of surface) - BUT they have a bit more color than the bottom pair which IRL i suspect will look most "silvery" - i like these more than the bottom pair given that

i think the asymmetry and imperfection is the charm of baroques. i am very picky about "perfect" pearls - but baroques? go wild!

i also like BLUE blue akoyas and the pearl in the upper right corner is a bright beautiful blue color and my fave of the individual pearls - but the shape of that left one in the pair bugs me... i just don't like as well for your design idea, but that is a personal preference. i'd skip that pair unless they can find a brighter mate with less...erm...side boob :lol: for the right one ....there is an obvious color difference to me (altho i like asymmetry to an extent, i think the higher saturation of blue vs the more muted blue on the left would annoy me too)

these are nitpicky comments as i think you have 3 pretty pairs to choose from

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the middle one best too, a nice compromise of colour and shape ❤️

I think your inspiration pearls are bigger, though - or the jump rings on top are significantly smaller! If Takahashi uses 5mm jump rings they’ll be over half the length of the pearls, is that the proportionality you’re wanting? Maybe bigger baroques? There’s of course a lower limit in terms of how small you can make the jump rings - I actually think 5mm is a good size in this regard, it’ll give you some flexibility for your hoops ::)

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I had to pick from those six, I’d take the top right and middle right pearls, but baroques are so personal. Re: the 5mm jump ring they’ve proposed, don’t forget that the attachment drilled into the pearl will overlap and take up some of the space within the jump ring (it looks like 0.7mm, guessing from the text on their diagram?). Whether the remaining gap is snug enough for you depends on the thickness of the hoops you’d like to use them with and exactly how small you want the wiggle room to be.

ean

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie is the pearl pro!

here are my meandering thoughts

i like the shape of the bottom pair best and they are to me the most harmonious match, but are also the smallest and least colorful

the middle i like too...now, they are not a perfect match in really any respect (slightly different overtones, smoothness of surface) - BUT they have a bit more color than the bottom pair which IRL i suspect will look most "silvery" - i like these more than the bottom pair given that

i think the asymmetry and imperfection is the charm of baroques. i am very picky about "perfect" pearls - but baroques? go wild!

i also like BLUE blue akoyas and the pearl in the upper right corner is a bright beautiful blue color and my fave of the individual pearls - but the shape of that left one in the pair bugs me... i just don't like as well for your design idea, but that is a personal preference. i'd skip that pair unless they can find a brighter mate with less...erm...side boob :lol: for the right one ....there is an obvious color difference to me (altho i like asymmetry to an extent, i think the higher saturation of blue vs the more muted blue on the left would annoy me too)

these are nitpicky comments as i think you have 3 pretty pairs to choose from

Side boob. LOL Do you know how big your jump rings are?

ean

Brilliant_Rock
If I had to pick from those six, I’d take the top right and middle right pearls, but baroques are so personal. Re: the 5mm jump ring they’ve proposed, don’t forget that the attachment drilled into the pearl will overlap and take up some of the space within the jump ring (it looks like 0.7mm, guessing from the text on their diagram?). Whether the remaining gap is snug enough for you depends on the thickness of the hoops you’d like to use them with and exactly how small you want the wiggle room to be.

That makes sense! I think I’m going to ask them to use a 4mm jump ring.

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I like the middle one best too, a nice compromise of colour and shape ❤️

I think your inspiration pearls are bigger, though - or the jump rings on top are significantly smaller! If Takahashi uses 5mm jump rings they’ll be over half the length of the pearls, is that the proportionality you’re wanting? Maybe bigger baroques? There’s of course a lower limit in terms of how small you can make the jump rings - I actually think 5mm is a good size in this regard, it’ll give you some flexibility for your hoops ::)

I think these pearls are 14mm, according to the website. I don’t think I’ll be able to rock those honestly, but it did made me pause and think. Maybe 11-12mm is the sweet spot for me. I will ask if they have any.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think these pearls are 14mm, according to the website. I don’t think I’ll be able to rock those honestly, but it did made me pause and think. Maybe 11-12mm is the sweet spot for me. I will ask if they have any.

The card they’re on says 9-9.5 and I thought that’s where they usually note the mm size?

ean

Brilliant_Rock
The card they’re on says 9-9.5 and I thought that’s where they usually note the mm size?

Oh I’m sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the size of the pearls from the inspiration picture!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Side boob. LOL Do you know how big your jump rings are?

I wish I did. They are packed :(

But they were made to specific hoops - I THINK they were 4mm or even a tad less bc the hoops themselves are rather small. But I will caveat that is a true guestimate

Reactions: ean

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size of the jump rings would bother me, however, my huggie earrings are tiny and I want a snug fit.

Here is the CAD of the custom paved diamond drops I had made for my huggies:

QQ图片20180813134751-20180813-073213673.png
And here is a pic of them dangling from the huggies:

8E176AD4-C70F-4ABF-B793-A6ADB9ED494C.jpeg

How it looks on my ear:

20180907225058_2.jpg

I can't remember their exact dimensions, however, the huggies are about 0.37cttw so each diamond is likely to be no more than 1mm each. Therefore, I suspect the jump rings are no more than 3mm the most if not smaller.

When I made the pearl drops for the huggies, I wrapped the loops as small as I could:

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

ean

Brilliant_Rock
The size of the jump rings would bother me, however, my huggie earrings are tiny and I want a snug fit.

Here is the CAD of the custom paved diamond drops I had made for my huggies:

QQ图片20180813134751-20180813-073213673.png
And here is a pic of them dangling from the huggies:

8E176AD4-C70F-4ABF-B793-A6ADB9ED494C.jpeg

How it looks on my ear:

20180907225058_2.jpg

I can't remember their exact dimensions, however, the huggies are about 0.37cttw so each diamond is likely to be no more than 1mm each. Therefore, I suspect the jump rings are no more than 3mm the most if not smaller.

When I made the pearl drops for the huggies, I wrapped the loops as small as I could:

huggieswithdrops.jpg

diamondhuggieswithpearldrop_02.jpg

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Thank you for the examples! Your earrings are beautiful.I’m still on the hunt for bigger pearls and will definitely ask for a smaller jump ring.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The size of the jump rings is a matter of personal preference once you get past the obvious - they need to be able to fit over the hoop closure. So check your measurements. Frankly even if it's wrong in the end..it's an easy fix. You just snip the jump ring off and add the correct size ( assuming it's soldered shut.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results