shape
carat
color
clarity

Baoooooga! Pad alert!

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Heated pad available at Finewater. 1.39 carats, $2500 and pretty much my dream color combo. I WISH I had the funds to buy it... I don't even care that it's heated. Sigh. Someone give it a home!

8904632_orig.jpg

493850_orig.jpg

2174822_orig.jpg

3832267_orig.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
if it weren't heated I'd have it by now

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
And I'm not sure if Im reading the report right, but it seems not to say whether any testing was done for diffusion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be nice to see the lab report larger, but all I can make out that it states is the following:

"Padparadscha sapphires are commonly heated to modify their color and appearance"

and that's the best I could do with my "micro-vision" :ugeek:

I don't think the report is conclusive on diffusion testing.

It's also poorly cut. It is not cut by Gary evidently. Look at the wonky cutting on the report.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like the wonk! It is the absence of info re diffusion that bothers me

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1304098288|2908069 said:
I like the wonk! It is the absence of info re diffusion that bothers me

That's fine, just pointing it out as some people may assume it's precision cut since it's from Gary. It doesn't say on the report "no additional enhancement," so unless I'm missing something, it is a bit perplexing. :confused:

There's also a premium on Sri Lankan padparadschas, so I would want origin on the report, especially for that price.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think you're absolutely right TL, people may not realize that it is naive cut (I like that better than "native"). I think there was some disappointment with his first drop after returning from Ceylon because people assumed he had cut them but he hadnt

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double post, sorry!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called AGL, and they said "heat" means heat only, no other enhancements. If they can't test for diffusion, they won't issue a report, or they'll state specific comments to beryllium or other foreign elements. Therefore, it looks like this AGL would suffice, but I would like to see origin on there.

It will state something like this if the owner of the stone refuses additional testing for diffusion.
"Additional testing is required to determine if additional elements have been introduced to the stone"

BTW, the people on the phone at AGL are so polite, nice and helpful. I highly recommend people call them if they have questions or concerns. They told me so few people send sapphires in for the testing of diffusion, which is disconcerting. It seems that sapphires, as a very highly marketed stone, are not being properly tested, and therefore many people are getting ripped off.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... I never thought to call AGL. Nice job TL!
Here's the excerpt from Gary:
A rare padparascha sapphire in the perfect balance of pink/orange. I found this little beauty on my last Sri Lankan trip, which was already well cut with a classic mixed-cut design. After my return I sent it to the American Gemological Labortories in New York for a Prestige Report, which confirmed it is a true padparascha and heat-treated only with no additional enhancements. One of my all-time favorite gemstones, and certain to become one of your

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I know there is a lot of disagreement among people on what is and isnt a pad color; this one is very close to my personal ideal.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Could not agree with you more Vapid... I love that color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PaulaW|1304101126|2908109 said:
A rare padparascha sapphire in the perfect balance of pink/orange. I found this little beauty on my last Sri Lankan trip, which was already well cut with a classic mixed-cut design. After my return I sent it to the American Gemological Labortories in New York for a Prestige Report, which confirmed it is a true padparascha and heat-treated only with no additional enhancements. One of my all-time favorite gemstones, and certain to become one of your

Honestly, it's a shame he didn't pay the extra fee for the origin if it truly is from Sri Lanka.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut won"t bother me; I bought a blue sapphire from Gary, a recut from a native one. Sometimes when I look at it I want to cry... The color is awesome; it is unheated. Gary said that the cut was good enough, I insisted on a recut and lost almost a carat. So if the color is right, I would buy it. I just have not seen a single pad and hence am not attracted. Good that he posted "hand" photo.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is nice, but I don't need another padparadscha, lol.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
MakingTheGrade|1304113469|2908230 said:

I cannot resist.

Knight "He can join us for the quest for the Holy Grail!"

Taunting French soldier "He won't be very keen. We already have one!"

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com
www.greengemfoundation.com

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
"BTW, the people on the phone at AGL are so polite, nice and helpful. I highly recommend people call them if they have questions or concerns. They told me so few people send sapphires in for the testing of diffusion, which is disconcerting. It seems that sapphires, as a very highly marketed stone, are not being properly tested, and therefore many people are getting ripped off."

This is sad to hear

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
lelser|1304116872|2908259 said:
MakingTheGrade|1304113469|2908230 said:

I cannot resist.

Knight "He can join us for the quest for the Holy Grail!"

Taunting French soldier "He won't be very keen. We already have one!"

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com
www.greengemfoundation.com

OMG !!!!!
My son's LOOOOVE THAT MOVIE!!!!!
They can keep me laughing by quoting all their favorite scenes
complete with accents ~ they are truly Hilarious !!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty color.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
TL|1304106683|2908170 said:
PaulaW|1304101126|2908109 said:

Honestly, it's a shame he didn't pay the extra fee for the origin if it truly is from Sri Lanka.

You can't always get origin - you need certain types of inclusion etc to be able to and if they're not there then it often can't be done.

Oh, and they don't do Be treatment in Sri Lanka - although the Thais do buy stones there, take them to Chantaburi and cook 'em up so a Ceylon origin isn't a definite.

Very pretty stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results