shape
carat
color
clarity

Band "width" versus "depth" - What's not too thin???

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
I'm trying to make sure my pave band is as delicate as possible but not too delicate. Which dimension is it when people say it should be between 2 and 2.5mm? Is just the width or does the depth need to be more than 1.8mm as well? I've attached two files that show the two dimensions I'm confused about... Help! :???: :?: :-o

Attachments

• CADMunkie3.bmp
    458.5 KB · Views: 2,302
  • CADMunkie4.bmp
    458.5 KB · Views: 2,291

slg47

Ideal_Rock
generally people are referring to the width.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I say width I mean the horizontal measurement and depth is height off finger - so 2.25mm wide like in your bottom pic and 1.8mm deep. Whilst "more metal" is better if studiness is a concern, it's directional - more metal in the horizontal direction will prevent the ring warping so that when you put it on a flat surface it doesn't look wavy, and more metal in the "depth" will prevent it turning from a circle to an oval.

If you are concerned be sure to emphasize to your jeweller that you want a sturdy, durable ring that you expect to be able to wear regularly without fear of warping, and he/she can give width and depth recommendations to suit.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LoveMunkie|1305841092|2925983 said:
I'm trying to make sure my pave band is as delicate as possible but not too delicate. Which dimension is it when people say it should be between 2 and 2.5mm? Is just the width or does the depth need to be more than 1.8mm as well? I've attached two files that show the two dimensions I'm confused about... Help! :???: :?: :-o

It should be the same around. These rings are made to look like wire of metal. Since wire is cylindrical with an equal circumference 2mm should be 2mm all around. It might slightly change though when they clean the inside of the shank. Also, having a little bit of added depth to the shank will make it stronger since you're setting pave on it.

Good luck.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Forgot; I think you should have them taper the shank slightly. To me, as soon as you stop the pave, the shank starts to look thick on these wire based designs. See where the pave stops, the shank starts to look a bit bulky at that point. You can go from a 2.1mm to about 1.8mm gauge towards the bottom of the shank, it'll keep it from looking thick.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you going to wear a wedding band with the ring? If so, I would maybe reconsider the diamonds at the base of the head.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Victor! They are going to taper it from 2.25 down to 2mm. I'm harder on jewelry but love the delicate look so hope this is a good compromise...I'd rather error on the side of a little thicker.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1305847055|2926074 said:
Are you going to wear a wedding band with the ring? If so, I would maybe reconsider the diamonds at the base of the head.
Great point! Thanks to everything this forum has taught me, I already asked them to remove them! Final design expected on Tuesday, its been along time coming and we can't wait!

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
LoveMunkie|1305862270|2926279 said:
Thanks Victor! They are going to taper it from 2.25 down to 2mm. I'm harder on jewelry but love the delicate look so hope this is a good compromise...I'd rather error on the side of a little thicker.
Forgot to mention the pave is going to be larger as you suggested in the band and also go 3/4 of the way around instead of 1/2. Thanks again for all your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results