shape
carat
color
clarity

Ban on Burmese rubies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So in my learning and about diamonds and gem stones I have learned there are some social problems in the gem trade. When it comes to gemstones from Burma, have have read a few different things. I don''t know much about the issues, but what I get on the surface is there is on side that says buying gems from this country is supporting a corrupt government. There is another side that states that cutting off gem trade from that region will hurt families.

Recently, the US has tightened a ban on Burmese rubies. Here is a link to an article: http://us.oneworld.net/article/us-bans-unethical-trade-burmese-gems

I was wondering if anyone would care to share some thoughts on this, maybe someone who knows more about the issue than me. I think that some questions many of us jewelry lovers have are.

Why was this done?
How will this affect the ruby supply?
How will this affect prices?
Will this affect the social situation in Burma?

I just want to get more thoughts in this, to get some more perspective on the issue.

rubylover

Rough_Rock
Hey Ltlfirecracker, I was planning to post this question today U know!!!!!
I''m also looking to hear from experts in this industry. I did contact couple cutters to buy Burma Ruby, but now I''m holding my thought.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think Surfgirl posted some information on this a while ago.

lavenderlill

Rough_Rock
For further reading, there is an article on this in today''s Chicago Tribune. The problem with Burma (aka Myanmar) is that a huge sector of their gem trade is government controlled and generates hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue to support the ongoing regime. How to support the smaller family owned operations without putting money in the hands of the corrupt is a never ending puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results