shape
carat
color
clarity

Bamboozled! (pls help?)

LemonDelicious

Rough_Rock
Hello kind PS people. Long time lurker, but still still confused by some elements of cut, particularly relationship between crown and pavilion angles.

A jeweller suggested this diamond - as far as I can work out it goes against all PS rules - but just wanted to check in case I'm missing something? To top off my uncertainty, it has an IGI report and the depth isn't listed? Have attached the diagram, don't have an actual image yet.

Would be v grateful for any help - even just a basic yes/no assessment. I will see it in person, what should I look for apart from inclusions?

F
SL2
Cut: excellent
Polish: excellent
Symm: VG
Table: 62%
Crown Height - Angle: 12.5%, 33.1 degrees
Pavilion Height - Angle: 44%, 41.4 degrees
Girdle thickness: M to ST

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.56.50 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.56.50 am.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 17

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Pass on this!
You don't want a table that large. You don't want a diamond graded by IGI. 12.5% crown height is way too low. Shallow crown angle. Deep Pavilion angle. There are just too many diamonds to not get something with excellent symmetry.

LemonDelicious

Rough_Rock
Pass on this!
You don't want a table that large. You don't want a diamond graded by IGI. 12.5% crown height is way too low. Shallow crown angle. Deep Pavilion angle. There are just too many diamonds to not get something with excellent symmetry.

Thank you so much. Good to have some validation of my very inexpert assessment.

LemonDelicious

Rough_Rock
Thanks @headlight and @lovedogs - appreciate your very kind offer of help.

I'm not based in the US which makes it a little more complicated - it seems difficult to separate the buying of the stone(s) and the making of the ring. So I'm in touch with a private jeweller who does both, and probably just need to make my criteria a bit clearer...

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @headlight and @lovedogs - appreciate your very kind offer of help.

I'm not based in the US which makes it a little more complicated - it seems difficult to separate the buying of the stone(s) and the making of the ring. So I'm in touch with a private jeweller who does both, and probably just need to make my criteria a bit clearer...

Why not have the mounting and diamond come from the same vendor? I know there are many people here who are not based in the U.S. who have been able to make it work. There are preferred vendors that work with buyers outside of the U.S. I do not recall who they are but hopefully someone will chime in here who is familiar with that info. You can also do a search on this site for the outside of U.S. buying info.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LemonDelicious where are you located ?

I'm not in the US and I knew a bunch of international PSers that have, like myself, bought in the US. Even with import duties you'll get a better stone and better price and much more choice in the US.

Europe, for instance, where I am, just sucks in terms of jewelry shopping.

I have one family jeweler while knows his stuff and knows a bit about diamonds.
His bench, however isn't always on par with, say David klass...

LemonDelicious

Rough_Rock
Hello again. Have ascertained that I may be able to source overseas, so wondering what you think of this one?

(Background: I am looking for a stone in the 2.7 - 2.9 ct range (ring size 7): best possible cut within budget of US$40k. Colour to H and clarity to SL1 if eye clean. Is this realistic?)

F
VS2
Ex / Ex / Ex
Table: 56%
Depth: 62.3%
35.5 / 40.6

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.12.46 pm.png

still.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello again. Have ascertained that I may be able to source overseas, so wondering what you think of this one?

(Background: I am looking for a stone in the 2.7 - 2.9 ct range (ring size 7): best possible cut within budget of US$40k. Colour to H and clarity to SL1 if eye clean. Is this realistic?)

F
VS2
Ex / Ex / Ex
Table: 56%
Depth: 62.3%
35.5 / 40.6

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.12.46 pm.png

still.jpg

I like this one (probably because I like "fat" arrows haha). As others said, have you considered super ideal vendors? With your goal of the best possible cut and your budget being big, I would strongly consider going that route.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results